Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  So I bought a new rug.....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So I bought a new rug..... Sign In/Join 
Picture of Baileys'Mom
posted
Hi all! I don't post often, but I read regularly! I just bought a new rug for my dining room, and I love it! However, because of the way the room is shaped, it's not *quite* centered in the room. So, if I have the table centered under the light, on one side, it is off center on the rug about 6 inches, (yes, I measured....), but, if I center the table on the rug, it's not centered under the light. What would you do in this case?

Posts: 714 | Location: Western NY | Registered: Mar 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Can you post pics? If possible I would center the rug on the light then the table will be centered on the rug and the light.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12736 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
What would you do in this case?

Keep the table centered under the light as that would be more noticeable.

Posts: 12642 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Because of a return vent, our rug isn't centered either -- more on one side than the other -- but you can't cover the vent -- however, the table is centered UNDER the light. I've never had ANYONE comment that our rug needed to be moved. I don't think you notice but . . . I think you would notice if the light wasn't centered with the table.

Martha

Posts: 5924 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Center both table and rug under the light. Place a piece of furniture like a buffet or china cabinet on the exposed part of the floor, if possible, so that the room has visible balance.

Okay, w/o a pic, it is difficult to suggest, but on second reading, I surmised you can not center the rug under the table(?) If so, can you swag the light fixture so that is more central in the room and therefore allow the centering of the rug as well?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18691 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Baileys'Mom
posted Hide Post
Well, upon further measuring, the light is not centered in the room, and I can't center the rug under the light because even though the rug is only eight foot square, there is a baseboard in the way. So I guess it's a matter of what looks less dumb, the table off center on the rug or the light off center over the table. I thought about swagging the light, but then it would raise it up higher that I would like over the table. I pulled the table over so it was centered on the rug, but then the light being off center is really pretty noticeable, so I guess I'll be pulling it back.....bummer. When the rug first got here earlier this week, I had it turned the other way so it was like a diamond in the middle of the square floor and everything was centered without these problems. But DH didn't like it like that, darn DH.......

Posts: 714 | Location: Western NY | Registered: Mar 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I was going to suggest angling the rug as an option, but was unsure whether it was doable or not. Since you stated it does work better, I would advise you to go with the diamond without hesitation. I don't know why your DH is opposed to that in light of the off centered issues you are faced with. It makes perfect sense and is done more often than your DH perhaps realizes. Having it on the diamond may even give the illusion of a larger space. Live with the rug on the diamond a while. Perhaps your DH will discover it works after all. Good luck!

Posts: 18691 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
can u pls post the pic.. Even i bought a new rug from curtainsandcurtains.com. Its awesome, i had number of collections to pick up.

Posts: 18 | Registered: Aug 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
You seem to be a 'Symmetrical' person, so return the rug and try another size, you might have to go custom like 7'.

You say the light is not centered in the room either, that never bothered you, right?

It all adds up to what you can live with, and IF the rug is necessary in the room, if it is to cover scratches on wood flooring, and the new rug is a bit thick, then the chair legs in the back 'fall off' the rug when pulled out... If you perhaps have floor refinished in that room? New finishes hold up better than the old type varnishes on wood flooring.

Have you considered a low short pile or other type of rug installed wall to wall? I was thinking if it were to add a color or different look in the dining area.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Ruth,

Posts: 9724 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Baileys'Mom
posted Hide Post
You know what? No, I had never noticed that the light was off center before. I had a 7' round rug under the table before, and could center the rug under the light and the table on the rug under the light and never noticed that it wasn't exactly centered in the room. It's not like it waaay off, we're talking five or six inches. Just enough to make me think I was nuts and get out the tape measure!

While I would love to have the rug on the diamond, I kind of 'forgot' to tell DH that I had ordered it. He didn't like it at all when it arrived last week, so I thought the compromise might warm him up a bit. Sure enough, tonite when he got home the first thing he said when he came through the door was how nice he thought it looked. I took advantage of the moment to point out that it's not centered under the light, so maybe I'll have it back on the diamond before long!!