Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Under mount Sinks and Granite
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Under mount Sinks and Granite Sign In/Join 
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted
What do you do if you have placed an under mount porcelain sink with a granite counter top and eventually the sink cracks, chips or whatever and you need to replace it? Do you have to take up the entire piece of granite? Does it need to be replaced with a new piece?

We renovated our 21 year old kitchen Nov. 2013 and love it, then it dawned on me, what the heck do I do if should something happen to the sink?

Posts: 1025 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Good question. A quick search provided this info. Tho not easy, it is doable.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/r...-counters-21115.html

Posts: 18780 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The sink is installed after the granite is in place so you are simply switching out the old sink for a new sink. The sink is held in place with clips and chalked from underneath as well as on the top.

Posts: 135 | Registered: Apr 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Auto correct on Kindle spelling mistake- c a u l k e d.

Posts: 135 | Registered: Apr 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
I've wondered the same thing, but our section of counter with the sink is relatively small, so if worse comes to worse, the section could be replaced.

My parents just had granite installed and their regular top mounted sink was in great shape so they reused it. The granite arrived, the workers installed it, and the cut for the sink was too large! They had to tear it out, chipped the slab, disaster! This is a remote little town and even though there's a home depot, the granite works is miles (hours) away. Contractors had to take the sink with them and parents had to wait weeks for the reinstallation! My DF called them before they returned with a reminder to bring the sink back!

And if anyone knows how to turn the Kindle auto spell off, I would love to know. I'll post a reply, go back and check it and then die of mortification as to what I've typed!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: junk collector,

Posts: 3484 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sonny Dayz
posted Hide Post
mine is also caulked and clipped from underneath.

I dont use spell check for fear those of you who have known me for 6 years would think my account had been stolenSmilegiggle

Posts: 10040 | Location: NC ~zone 7B | Registered: Jun 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the information. Tomorrow I'll have to get under my sink and see if it was installed with the caulking and clamps.

Posts: 1025 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I agree that an under mount sink could be changed out. It would not be any more difficult than changing an over mount sink. In either case you would not need to take up the granite counter top.

Posts: 7275 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Caulked and chipped underneath and easy to remove and install new sink.

Posts: 1118 | Location: North Carolina Close to Charlotte | Registered: Apr 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post