Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Went Couch Shopping Today
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Went Couch Shopping Today Sign In/Join 
Picture of luvboyds
posted
Ok, since I haven't bought a couch for the living room in almost 20 years. The one I have now is about 80 inches long. The one I picked out today that I liked is 98 inches. I have room for one end table now and there is a built in bookshelf on the other side with doors at the bottom. If I go with this couch I doubt I will have room for an end table because I was going to get a new coffee table and end tables to match the wood. My question is do you have end table(s) on either side of your couch? Will it look right without them? I have a lamp and my Bose stereo on the one that is beside my couch. I don't know what to do now. The couch would be sitting in front of a window so it would need to be centered. I would appreciate any advice you can give me. Thanks bunches!!

Posts: 266 | Location: WV | Registered: Mar 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
In our livingroom, my sofa and loveseat creat an L. There is one end table between the two and another on the opposite side of the loveseat. The other end of the sofa has a floor lamp. I also have a good size square coffee table in front of both. So, itcanbe done as long as you have a coffee table of some sort and decent lighting. Another option might be to place a sofa table behind the sofa which could support a table lamp and display area.

Word of caution before you purchase such a long piece is to make sure you can get it through a doorway. Also, consider the UV rays the sofa may be exposed to.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18385 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of luvboyds
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your suggestions. I did think about a floor lamp as well because my end table has a lamp on it and I sometimes sit there. We don't use the living room much. Mostly when we have a fire we'll stay in there but I want it to look nice and the furniture not positioned right. We're ok with the door width as well.

Posts: 266 | Location: WV | Registered: Mar 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
omg ds1 bought a new sofa, and we had to take out a window to get it in! his old one had been from costco and had come in a box, lol...

we only have one end table and i usually have it placed between a chair and the sofa...never use the coffee table at all, sigh, but just can't seem to let it go...

Posts: 8479 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of luvboyds
posted Hide Post
Wow, taking out a window to get a couch in! Glad that we don't have to do something like that. I would never hear the end of it...lol. I think I am leaning with just going with the one end table with the chair. I think I have to have the coffee table too. My room is long but narrow and I think it just might be needed to fill in the space.

posted Hide Post
I guess it mostly depends on how you use the space. I like to have side tables positioned so that people sitting on the sofas or in chairs have a place to set their glass or cup. I find that the coffee table doesn't work very well for that because of its low height.

Posts: 1725 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is this sofa you are definitely going to buy? An 8' sofa is quite long, so is it going to be in proportion to the rest of the room and your other furnishings? Often a large item doesn't appear as big in the showroom as it will in your home. Make sure you graph it out on paper, along with everything else in the room before bringing it home.

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of luvboyds
posted Hide Post
I just found it online and it says it's only 91" long. The sales guy said 98" so there's an additional 7" that I have to play with. I'm just finding smaller pieces out there. I wish I could.... Maybe we can find something tomorrow before we go with this couch I found. We have measured and it will work I just won't be able to fit an end table there. I have on of those shadow box coffee tables now in there.

posted Hide Post
What sofa is it? When I was shopping recently, there was a sofa that came in a 3 cushion long sofa, a 3 cushion apartment sofa (shorter), and 2 cushion love seat. Maybe that could account for the difference in measurements.

Posts: 419 | Location: Illinois | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of busyjo
posted Hide Post
Two years ago was my year to buy a sofa and chairs. Like you I had to consider its size carefully so that it wouldn't overwhelm my small ranch style house's LR. They are out there. As someone mentioned, many come in smaller versions (called apartment size). You may see the huge size in the store and ask them to order that same sofa in an apartment size. Look online at the brand you are presently considering. It may come in a smaller version.

Posts: 1615 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: Apr 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of luvboyds
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Since it is from Ashley, I am almost sure it only comes in one size for the sofa. I usually bring a tape measure with me when I shop.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: oojeanie,

Posts: 419 | Location: Illinois | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jackierenette
posted Hide Post
Oh I like that sofa. Great style and color.So many new design looks can be made with this by adding different colored pillows,art and curtains.

Just as long as it looks good to you and you love it. I like getting everyone advice but in the end it matters to you.

Posts: 2991 | Location: Liberty, S.C. | Registered: Mar 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of luvboyds
posted Hide Post
Oh thank you! I'm glad someone else likes it too. I do like getting others advice as well and thoughts of how to decorate around it. I'm getting excited because it's been so long since I have had new furniture for my living room. I'm starting to look a little dated as they say on House Hunters...lol. We don't/won't use the furniture much as we stay in the tv room mostly and the couch in there is very good quality. I think this should hold up well. At least for another 20 years. I think the size will be ok and I'll get used to be without an end table. Change is good .....sometimes. Thank you!

Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
OMG! the chair that goes with that set is the one I have been drooling over for the past two years! I love this set Smile I really want two of them to flank the fire place but I think they're too bulky.

Wanda

Posts: 4798 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of luvboyds
posted Hide Post
The damage is done ladies. We ended up getting an end table as we think it will fit and then the chair with a table beside of it and the coffee table. I'm not too proud for donations....lol

Picture of luvboyds
posted Hide Post
Thanks WWanda! I'm glad you like it as well. It should be here in three weeks so now I have to get my painting done, new curtains, windows cleaned and well the list goes on and on. See what you made me go and do....ha ha ha

posted Hide Post
Love your sofa and was going to suggest you look at "chair-side tables". They are about half as wide as regular end tables....I have two of them and like the look. They are big enough for a lamp and something else small. But I see you already bought end tables and am sure you are going to love your new furniture.

love life

Posts: 1422 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of luvboyds
posted Hide Post
They had some smaller side tables like you are suggesting but I didn't care for them. We even moved another table with the set and I didn't care for the scroll work and it had two shelves to it. I'm thinking it would make a LOVELY dust collector so I passed on it. Nice idea though.

Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! I measured the area and those chairs are way too big for where I'd want to put them. 41 inches wide, is pretty big!

Make sure you show us some pics after you get the furniture Smile

Wanda

Posts: 4798 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
congratualions...enjoy it...

Posts: 8479 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Beautiful sofa! The upholstery looks a lot like mine.
I have two 8ft and a 7ft sofa in my great room. I only have one end table next to the 7 footer and a large coffee table and ottomans in the middle of all three.

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of luvboyds
posted Hide Post
I'll do that WWanda if someone can tell me how to post pics. I have never done that here. Luckily I don't have anything on that wall where the chair goes so it should be ok..fingers crossed.

Thank you sjf!

Thank you zone9alady! Your room sounds beautiful! Would love to see pictures if you have them posted somewhere or if you can post them here.

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
This is from last Christmas...it's hard to get the whole room in...but you can see 1 8ft couch clearly. Then there is an old grey leather one and then the other 8ft couch opposite it. The one end table is on the other side of the grey leather sofa.

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
End table with lamp

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
this is an old photo when the room was first built..you can see the placement better.

Picture of luvboyds
posted Hide Post
Your home is absolutely beautiful!! Thank you so much for sharing your pictures with me. Do you have any suggestions for curtains? We went to Penneys this evening and tried to figure out something. We more or less pass through our living room but we need some privacy from our VERY NOSEY neighbors. I want some type of shears along with the drapes but I want it to be appealing from the outside as well.

Thanks again for the pictures!