Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Framing a large picture????
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Framing a large picture???? Sign In/Join 
posted
I have a picture that is 62"x21". I would like to hang it above my bed but I really don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a nice frame.

I was wondering the best way to get this framed. I hope there's a relatively inexpensive way to do this... I have heard maybe gluing the picture on gator board or something similar then putting plexiglass over it. If I were to do this, about how much would I pay? Also, if anyone has any links to a step by step guide on how to do this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Posts: 13 | Registered: Jul 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
What type of picture is it - oil painting, watercolor, print???

If it is just a large print and value of the art itself isn't high, I would just have it dry mounted and framed at your local hobby lobby or frame store. If a standard frame is available in that size, it is quite affordable to do it that way. We have several prints that were done this way and each came out lovely (and cheap!).

I have another inexpensive print ("Master Bedroom") that we had matted and framed - very pricey - but we wanted the extra visual pop on that one. We've also brought in items that only needed new frames - standard size already matted, etc. Price of the frame plus new backing was under 25 bucks. Easy and looks great!

Example of the poster mount - sorry for the glare. This is approx 27x39 finished size and the most expensive bit was the actual frame. Bought it from stock at Hobby Lobby on the 50% sale and the actual mount and backing was really cheap.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: junk collector,

Posts: 3294 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the quick reply. It is just a large print, but I really like the frameless look and thought it may be cheaper than getting a big enough frame.

Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
You are most welcome, and I'm sure others will chime in with more suggestions and solutions.

In my experience, estimates are free, so I would take it to whatever framing store you have available and go over the options. Then you can go forward from there.

another option is to keep your eyes peeled while going through thrifts and fleas. You might find a piece of art that has the right size frame available for cheap.

This sketch is one DH had - it had the matting and the glass, but no frame - just taped in to a mount of some sort. We bought a stock frame and had it installed. Sketch itself is an 8x10, then the matting, and a 20in stock frame. Again, the frame itself was cheap, and a couple of bucks for the installation.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: junk collector,

Posts: 3294 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Depending on the type of art and it's composition, hanging it in thrr parts (aka a triptych) might be a solution. Btw, it can stillne frameless. Either way, adhering it to foam core might be sufficient. Do a Web search for bonding it to an inexpensive, yet substantial material. Sandwiching it between sheets of plexi may be another method.

Posts: 18698 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
your measurements are extremely unusual but that is what will make your print so interesting.

Asking though for a "step by step" guide to such a specific project is probably completely impossible.

If this were my project I would:

a) glue the print to the wall or:
b) glue the print to a piece of thin plywood cut at a home improvement store.
c) get a piece of glass the right size (from a glass store) and glue the print to the glass then have a narrow piece of molding cut the right length for the bottom, nail that to the wall, set the glass in and add the other 3 pieces of molding.

The piece illustrated here is something I had wanted for some years and found eventually! The roses were added but the wood and its molding were exactly what I wanted. However my piece did not have to be specific measurements. It is by the way, 9" X 57"

Posts: 12712 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I were to glue it to plywood, what's the best glue I should use? I googled it and I guess a minor concern is that wood essentially has small holes in it and eventually my picture will start to bubble.

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
I always use Elmer's glue for my paper projects on wood. I usually water it down some.

If you are concerned about the wood you could polyurethane it first. Or paint it with a thinned out coat.

I covered this wooden mirror frame with elmer's glue (watered down) about 10 years ago and it is fine.

When you are gluing a large thing though like your print, it would be best to put a thin layer of glue on both the wood and the paper and then have someone else hold the other end while you carefully position the print. Can be tricky!

Posts: 12712 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post