Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  More upgrades to the dining room
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

More upgrades to the dining room Sign In/Join 
posted
I have posted a few months ago about help with my dining room. I updated it with this china hutch, had this custom table made, found these solid wood chairs for the table, I made the family growth chart on the wall, and had a custom wine rack made to match.
I then took a brake to step back, enjoy what I have for now and move forward when the time is right. Which is now. Smile
I am thinking I need to add some color. Keep in mind that the wall color will change with time (like this fall) but only to another neutral color but a couple shades darker (I'm thinking). It's all open concept with three rooms so I don't want to add a bold color to the walls. With that said, what about painting the interior background of the china hutch a bold color? Yellow, organge, red? Or like a burnt orange, deep red?
And then I was thinking of adding something to the table. Maybe a burlap table runner with a bold colored vase with white or cream flowers in it.
Or a bold colored table runner to match what I would paint the background of the china hutch.

Thoughts/Suggestions? Thanks much!!!!!!!!

Dining Room

Posts: 82 | Registered: Jun 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
How wide are the shelves? You could also cover panels with fabric. Simply cut cardboard to size and cover with fabric.

I used duct tape on the back of cardboard to hold the fabric in place.

Easy to change out.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9325 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think I'd cover the shelves due to the fact that the lighting needs to pass through the glass shelving.

I'm thinking the entire back drop of the china Hutch. I never thought about putting fabric on carboard and then taping it to the back but I think painting it would be a much cleaner/neater finish on it. Especially beacause the sides of the china hutch are glass and you'd be able to see the cardboard sticking out.

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Paint works too. The fabric panels are for the back of the hutch not the shelves.

The fabric would wrap around the cardboard and not seen on the sides.

Smile

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9325 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mommy4Life:
what about painting the interior background of the china hutch a bold color? Yellow, organge, red? Or like a burnt orange, deep red?

What colors are you using in the adjoining spaces? It's best in an open plan home to continue similar colors.

What Beau's Rose suggested re: using cardboard (or foamboard) covered with fabric can add a pattern or just be a temporary way to see how you like it. I used anaglypta type wallpaper for the back of my hutch years ago just for something different. I stuck it on with double sided tape. That type of wallpaper can be painted so is less permanent than painting the hutch itself.

quote:
And then I was thinking of adding something to the table. Maybe a burlap table runner with a bold colored vase with white or cream flowers in it.

Sounds good!

quote:
Or a bold colored table runner to match what I would paint the background of the china hutch.

Don't limit yourself to one table runner. Do two so you can change the look occasionally. Burlap is very inexpensive and can just be cut and fringed. If you sew you could make a runner from a remnant.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12599 | Location: north of 50 in Canada | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The problem I would run into is that there is detail work on the back panel. Kind of like indentations the size of the plates so they fit in a very slight nook. So, cardboard would not work unless I had multiple little pieces and then they still wouldn't match up correctly. Frown

That's why I thought painting was my only option. I love painting so I wouldn't mind painting it again once I get bored with it but I just have a bad sense of colors when it comes to paint. lol.

posted Hide Post
And I forgot to mention that the whole open concept is being re-done. Meaning furniture, colors, etc. So, it doesn't matter what color I start with in the dining room. Our Master was re-done with gray, yellow, black so maybe I don't want to go too far away from that?

posted Hide Post
The white cabinet looks like an after thought or a leftover from a previous scheme because it is completely surrounded by heavy straight lined furniture and cabinetry. You need something elso painted with some curves. Also it could just be the pic but the chandelier looks a little high. Is it 30 inches off the table?

Posts: 1736 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's like 36" off the table. Should I put it at 30"?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mommy4Life:
It's like 36" off the table. Should I put it at 30"?

Yes.

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of theoriginalfluffy
posted Hide Post
I know you posted this a while ago but I saw this blog and immediately thought of your room. This is a good example of what Charles was talking about.

http://www.savvysouthernstyle.net/ Her china cabinet looks a lot like yours and notice the white curved chairs. I know your chairs are new and you might not want to go that direction but I thought I'd share that with you.

Posts: 1098 | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post