Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Slipcover fabric Sign In/Join 
posted
We are still shopping for furniture and had decided we would keep our Henredon sofa since it is neutral and was in wonderful condition. It seems while we were gone on vacation, our naughty cat used it for a scratching post and has damaged one side. I am just sick about it because the fabric is no longer available. A friend suggested I get a slipcover but we may have it recovered instead. My question is this, have any of you cat owners discovered if one type of fabric is better than another? I don't want to go to the expense of new fabric if the cat is going to attack the sofa again. Thank you in advance.

Posts: 44 | Registered: Mar 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
my fabric of choice is the cotton...i have it in neutral,and while it's finally showing wear and tear, it's been wonderful...while my sectional doesn't quite fit them, as many times they have been washed has been ok..

one christmas i decided to "get fancy"...bought a set of stretch fabric in a red...omg couldn't wait to get them off! they were itchy, and wouldn't stay tucked as long...so after everyone left i was stripping it off...

the slip covers are less than having it professionally redone...and if you're a kitty person...well you get the idea...

Posts: 8486 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you can figure out what fabric a cat won't be tempted to claw I would love to know too. And if anyone knows what kind of table legs a dog won't chew, that would be helpful too. Frown

The problem with our furry friends is they don't value our furniture the way we do. We have a scratching post our cats ignore and the dog has plenty of chew toys but he would rather gnaw on the Duncan Phyfe pedestal.

My suggestion would be a very smooth, dense fabric like heavy twill. Good luck!

Posts: 490 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What type of fabric is on the sofa right now?

Posts: 784 | Registered: Jul 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post