Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Paths chosen, both on and off topic!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paths chosen, both on and off topic! Sign In/Join 
Picture of lady of shallot
posted
In my thread about old photo albums, Joy Luck mentions buying antiques when one is (or was) young.

We did do this. In fact in 1963 we had kind of a neat little business going, a store front and DH quit his job to refinish and sell pieces we got for very little. (see photos) We could have been very successful as there was a ready market both for selling and buying. We did not stay on that path which was a mistake.

That makes me think that often one does not stay on a positive path, rather than just getting on a negative path. You know like divorcing maybe too readily, or not finishing those last few college courses. Or in our case abandoning what could have been a successful small business, when we were young and energetic enough to succeed.

BTW those are two different secretaries in the pic and we have always bought antiques, from before we were married. The only piece we have left in the pics is the bureau which DH uses. This dates from last quarter 19th C. and is in much better shape than my bureau which was bought in 1951 new and is cracking on the side!

DD buys antiques too, they go to auctions near their cabin and buy furniture pieces and accessories too. These items always have a slight edge of "newness" because they are no longer familiar to us and so they look more interesting and unique and are generally more sturdy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lady of shallot,

Posts: 13081 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing a slice of life with us Emily!

I love the antiques you have pictured. WE cannot always foresee and hindsight is always 20-20.

I just finished watching a TED talks about 'All of Womankind'... did you know that older women are the largest demographic in the world!!!

What does that mean? In the later phases of our lives (and there are so many of us now, Baby Boomers) That we have a chance to show and teach younger women by our actions and words.

Reflection is a good thing, tradition is good also, the youth of today are not concerned so much with tradition, but with what is NEW and is 'in'. So, it is harder for them to see 'saving' for the future or buying antiques to have later in life. Or to collect memories..

The TED talk I was referring to If you are interested with Jane Fonda: Called The Third Act,
http://www.ted.com/talks/jane_...ife_s_third_act.html

Emily, Every morning we get up we actually show up each day, with an invisible back pack on our backs full of everyplace we have been and everything we endured, went through, AND collected over the years! But the only thing that endures and lasts is our attitude and what we choose to think of how we accept things in life... is something that can grow and get better!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Ruth,

Posts: 9816 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
did you know that older women are the largest demographic in the world!!!

Well yes I did know this. (or anyway believe it)
On my home page today is a sad story of aging parents in China and how the traditional caring for them is giving way to neglect (sometimes almost criminal neglect)

DH & I were talking about this. How will elders be supported when they are the majority of the populations of the world?

The only way I can see is for them to save up in their earning years and that might mean less spent on their children then.

Of course economics is only one part of the problem, there is health care and actual physical care that must be given somehow, and that can not all be realized just with money.

Posts: 13081 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Emily,
NO matter what... WE ARE STILL HERE! Smile and communicating!

Posts: 9816 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post