Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Picture placement - Bedroom
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picture placement - Bedroom Sign In/Join 
Picture of Rena450
posted
My bed is placed in the middle of a wall, it has a tall headboard and there are no windows on that wall. I plan to hang a horizontal picture on wall to the left of the bed. Should I hang another horizontal picture on the right side or could I hang 2 vertical pictures on that side? All the pictures are watercolors from the same artist - they all coincide with each other.
Would appreciate all suggestions and/or ideas

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rena450,

Posts: 57 | Registered: Jan 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rena450
posted Hide Post
Here's the picture i plan to hang on the wall above.
Oh,also, any suggestions as to a lamp for the nightstand? The one I have presently is too small and out of proportion.

posted Hide Post
Is there going to be another nightstand on the other side of the bed? If not, then I think two vertical paintings would look good! I would try to find something to place on the floor beneath them. Maybe a large basket??? I agree that a much larger lamp is needed, maybe tall and slender so that you don't give up too much "real estate" on the nightstand. I'd also move it further away from the bed. It's looking cramped in its present position.

Posts: 3427 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I agree you need a bigger lamp. And yes, without anything on the other side of the bed, I think you can hang that pic over the night stand, but . . . I do think you need something to the right of the bed -- a plant, a small chair -- something.

I will admit since the internet and pics, I find that you can place something take a pic and study it -- and decide whether you like it or not -- before when photography was not digital, it was too much bother to do that unless you had a polaroid.

Martha

Posts: 6002 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rena450
posted Hide Post
I usually have a Mission style chair to the right of the bed and it has an ottoman (which is now at the left of the bed propping up the picture). My main concern is whether to hang one horizontal picture or two vertical pictures to the right of the bed. Would two pictures that were more vertical in size make it seem unbalanced since there would be only one horizontal picture on the left? I appreciate all your comments so far.

posted Hide Post
I think a chair on the right would be perfect! Also, I'm not a fan of perfect symmetry, so two verticals with a chair (sitting at an angle toward the bed if room permits) sounds great to me!!!! It would not bother me if you had to move the bed a little off center to the left to make more room for the chair. It looks to me as though there may be a little TOO much "acreage" to the left of the bed. I am assuming the door to the bedroom is opposite the bed? Is the doorway centered or off to one side?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sms29s66,

Posts: 3427 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rena450
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Yes, I usually angle the chair to the right of the bed and,yes,the door to the bedroom is opposite the bed. The bed is almost centered on that wall and on the left side of the room is the door to the closet and a tall chest of drawers. The wall opposite the bed has the door to the bedroom which is off center.

posted Hide Post
If you should decide to move the bed a little to the left, I'd move it enough so that it is obvious that you want it that way, not that you can't find center to save your life!!!! Smile The reason I was asking about the door, is that if it is to the left of the bed, then centering the bed grouping so that it looks symmetrical from the doorway may appeal to you.

Re-reading your post, I'm wondering if moving the bed to the left would mess things up re: closet and tall chest. If that is the case, would it make sense to flip the nightstand to the other side of the bed and then move the bed more to the right of center? Of course, if the night stand is on your side of the bed that won't work at all, will it? Smile But when I moved from one bedroom to another years back, I had to get used to sleeping on the "wrong" side of the bed. Eventually I got used to new way.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sms29s66,

posted Hide Post
You asked if that horizontal picture would look good on the left side of the bed.
I am sorry to say this to you but that section screams out for either something vertical or much larger. Your headboard is already horizontal and that particular picture would be too small and close to the headboard making it look too closely like a part of the headboard.
Just my particular opinion. Please don't be angry with me.

Posts: 1691 | Registered: Sep 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rena450
posted Hide Post
I'm not angry ..... and I see what you mean. I don't think the picture really shows true proportions ...... the area to the left of the bed is larger than it looks in the picture. Also the headboard seems much taller than the pic shows ... if that even makes sense. I felt that if I had two large pictures on each side of the bed it would seem like so much on that wall and it would look like 3 big squares ..... gosh, now I am confused .... I just love that picture.

Picture of Rena450
posted Hide Post
sms29s66: I do sleep on the side of the bed that the nightstand is on and I sleep on my right side .... if I do move the bed closer to the left I would have a smaller area to walk to the closet being that the tall chest of drawers is on the wall of the closet door ..... the wall to the right of the bed has the only window in the room and its quite large so nothing is on that wall except for the window.

posted Hide Post
You love that picture and it does go well with the bedding.
Here's another thought: If you move the night table over to the right side and get a much larger lamp for it, which would then look more in proportion, you wouldn't have to worry about adding more pictures. Then move the chair to the left side and place the picture over the chair, which will tend to give it more of a vertical look and break up the long horizontal.
What worries me is that with everything on one side of the room, including the chest of drawers, it seems somehow unbalanced (unless I cannot see the room properly). Could the chest of drawers possibly be placed on the door side opposite the bed, or not?
Actually, it's rather hard to tell without seeing the entire room.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arepo24,

Posts: 1691 | Registered: Sep 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post