Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Questions about replacing light fixture- SOFFIT IS GONE!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions about replacing light fixture- SOFFIT IS GONE! Sign In/Join 
posted
Someone is coming to remove the soffit above the island Tuesday. I have purchased 2 light fixtures to choose from. The 3 globe fixture will be removed and the opening closed. First question- should I move the island 2 feet towards the stove so that it is centered in the cooking section of the kitchen? Then, the light would be placed above the island and it would also be centered in that half of the kitchen. Otherwise, if I put the light above the island as is, it will not be centered in that half of the kitchen ceiling. I will add pics of the lights.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: oojeanie,

Posts: 419 | Location: Illinois | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
why can't you use the existing wiring that will stil be there after you remove the soffit? has your work person said otherwise?

moving the island could be expensive, crowd your working space, and affect your flooring...

Posts: 8482 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is light number 1.

Posts: 419 | Location: Illinois | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is light number 2.

Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
of course i do like the 3 light unit, esp if you use the island for prep work, eating or study place, if you have students...

Posts: 8482 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
It seems to me that the island and light should be centered.

Posts: 3033 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your thoughts Grapefruit and SJF!

The island catches the mail and anything else that needs to be set down. We will pour drinks at it but no prep work.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: oojeanie,

posted Hide Post
I'm also not sure if I want the shades pointing down or up--any thoughts?

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
If the light is over the island you probably want the light to point down.

When light is "pointed down", it means the light will fall on the surface that is below the fixture.

When lights "point up" they cast light on the ceiling, and the island will get light reflected from the surface of the ceiling, but it will not be sufficient to light the surface of the island for any kind of close work.

Other things to consider:
There may not be flooring under the island, and so moving it may be a bigger job than anticipated.

Moving the island closer to the stove may crowd the circulation space in front of the stove. You need at least 3 feet between the stove and the end of the island (I'm looking at your photo) If more than one person uses the kitchen at once, then you will be more comfortable, and you will bump into each other less if that clearance is 3.5 to 4 feet. (Obviously, I am leaning towards not moving the island)

The new pendant should absolutely be centered above the island

I hope you are also installing under cabinet lighting, because most likely the light cast from the pendant will fall against your back when you are working at the stove or counters, casting a shadow on your work area. That is typical, and it is why under cabinet lights are so great.

Posts: 7077 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Jeanie,

Do you have other lighting available in the kitchen? Cans or recessed lights?

Have you considered adding can/recessed lighting to the rest of the kitchen area? Check with the electrician and you might be able to use the circuit with the 3 globe light you are removing. Another vote for Under Cabinet Lighting also for added lighting.

Here is an article on kitchen lighting that might be helpful.

http://www.hgtv.com/kitchens/s...-lighting/index.html

I am in the process of evaluating my kitchen lighting too. There are lighting formulas to help one determine the amount of light that a space needs.

Good Luck!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9325 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course I am not there to really see, but from the photo it looks to me like the island is not all that long and that the second lighting fixture (which I would normally prefer) might be too overwhelming for the space.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your replies Cocok and Beau's Rose.
There is flooring under the island, we moved the island when the wood floors were put in. The soffits around the perimeter contain can lights so that lights the counters. The light above the island will essentially give general light to that area. I don't reaaly do much work at the island.
There is a fan with a white schoolhouse light over the kitchen table. I would like to keep it for the value of the fan. If it looks terrible after the new light is installed, I can get a chandelier type to match the island light.

posted Hide Post
arepo- Thanks for looking! The island is 4 feet long. I was worried about that too. Probably more with how a long fixture will look near the ceiling fan over the table. If I do choose to move the island over 2 feet, then the two fixtures would not be as close. Do you think I should mimic the round shape of the fan with a round light or contrast with a long one?

posted Hide Post
Here is another view.

posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Beau's Rose:
Jeanie,

Check with the electrician and you might be able to use the circuit with the 3 globe light you are removing.

I forgot about the switch still being there.

I hope I'm not making things look WORSE instead of better by removing the globe light entirely. I do think the soffit cuts off the room. If it is removed, two different fixtures in that half of the kitchen would look silly, wouldn't it?

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
I would cut the soffit above the light, and use a fixture that points down, unless you find one that throws light above on the ceiling too, but more on the island as a task light.

I would not move the island as it is symmetrical to the space. AND when you have an oven door opening, you should allow more space for being able to move around the stove when oven is open. You mentioned it would not be for prep but for used for serving in social events.

I hope what is found under the soffit (wires, etc.) is not too much to fix. Sometimes a soffit encourages the electrician to use shorter wires and not placed into the walls but just put inside the soffit box. That makes it so all new wire directly into the electrical box to the new sources and installed between the wall. There are also ceiling and wall repairs.

The electrician can do any wiring for you, BUT will need to bring it to current code is if is not already. So, he can't divide sources to feed more than one purpose if it overloads the circuit. Good luck!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Ruth,

Posts: 9530 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you move the island over 2 ft. closer to the stove, where would you walk? Doesn't that cut down on walking space and seem cramped to you?
What am I missing?

posted Hide Post
The soffit is gone!

posted Hide Post
I tried moving the island-no problem. I centered it and there is 32 inches between it and the counter with the stove. The oven is on a different wall and not affected.

Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Wow....that really does look so much better!!!! I would remove the globe lights. I think the electrician has to put a flat "plate" over the hole/wires. It will not be noticeable.

I am sure you are excited about the more updated look!

Posts: 3033 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
You are a power woman moving that island!

LOVE the soffit removed. Looks great!

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
LOOKING GOOD! You are a BRAVE woman!

atta girl

Posts: 9530 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LOL--- I guess I did say I moved the island! I should have said I had the two men who removed the soffit move the island for me! Thanks for checking back! I will live with the new position and see how it goes. It feels funny right now but I'll give it a day.
Now...to decide which light fixture. Both can hold 300 watts. one is round, one long. One directs light up, one down. I don't need light right on the island. I think it comes down to asthetics and which one goes best with the fan's round shape and the overall look.

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
The light with the down lights gets my vote.

Ummm...shh...but little buggies get in those bowl type lights so it's a constant cleaning issue. LOL!

ETA:

PS: The bar light fixture echos the island shape. The round one doesn't seem big enough for the kitchen space. I know it goes over the island. You can also create a template of the fixture size and use them to determine which one.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Beau's Rose,

posted Hide Post
While the island looks great moved, I think it's too close to the stove to work. I'd center the light in the room and leave the island alone.
What about putting the island on wheels so you can move it where ever you need it?

Posts: 1925 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm with Beau's Rose. I too like the lights that shine down instead of up.
There are a lot of great looking fixtures out there if you are not sure what you really want.