Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Need family room decorating ideas!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need family room decorating ideas! Sign In/Join 
posted
I found this old Typewriter at a garage sale and am trying to work it into this room. I had two lamps behind the couch and I borrowed one to use on the end table with the typewriter. So here are my questions with this room.
1) Does it look ok with just one lamp behind the couch or should I try to find another pair to put there? And if so, any ideas?
2) I would really like to add pillows for the couch but have no clue what would work!
3) Do you think I need to add another color in the room to brighten it up? If so any color suggestions?
4) I want to get a different coffee table, this one is way too big, old, and doesn't go with the room. I have a few pics of leather storage benches I was thinking of. What do you think?

Whew! That's alot of help I need huh! So does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

I am attaching pics. I took them last night so they are kind of dark, sorry. The room is brighter during the day!
I forgot to mention, my DH will not part with his Hugh speakers in the corners! :-(

This message has been edited. Last edited by: LauraJ,

Wider view

Posts: 436 | Location: Huber Heights,Ohio,USA | Registered: Nov 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Closer up pic

Closer up

Posts: 436 | Location: Huber Heights,Ohio,USA | Registered: Nov 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bench option 1 to replace coffee table

posted Hide Post
Option 2

posted Hide Post
Option 3

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Great space in the making with some obvious tweaking ahead. Indeed, the coffee table is too bulky. Consider a glass topped table with rounded edges. Tho it won't offer storage, it won't take up visual space in this crowded room. If storage is an issue, twin lidded ottomans is another option.

The old typewriter is lost in the corner. The eye does not go to this conversational piece especially since it is low and dark. If it doesn't work in this space, find another that will showcase it. One area might be a space saving secretary desk in a hallway.

The side table lamp is a bit low for the scale of the furniture but can be elevated with a book or two. Play with lighting around the room for ambiance and task at various levels.

The red in the eye catching plate should be echoed in your pillows. Don't hesitate to mix solids with textures and prints. A red throw cascading in a corner of the sofa will add more color there.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18657 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Christmas Candy
posted Hide Post
I personally like option #2.

I agree with Froo that the corner lamp is too low and to echo the red/rust tones in pillows and a throw. Also to showcase the typewriter, I would move the large red platter(?) from the speaker to the right side of the console table behind the love seat to balance the size of the lamp on the left side.

Then find a table runner in your red tones, drape over the speaker and place the typewriter atop the runner to draw attention to it. It will be more prominent in that location.

You can mix paisleys and plaids in your pillows and table runners if they all have the right scale pattern and similar color tones.

JMHO,
Candy

Posts: 1299 | Location: CO | Registered: Dec 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
I like your room, but definitely put some red and patterned pillows on the sofas. There's a lot of solids in the room (I do this all the time Frown), the ottoman idea is great for putting your feet up, but just check on the length of them. They look a bit large. And I have to say it, I'm not feeling the typewriter.

And, what is it with guys and there ginormous speakers? Back in the early 80s my then-DH had them (not as tall as yours) and I used them for end tables LOL.

Wanda

Posts: 4855 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to have a red throw. I can put it over one of the couches if I can find it! Or I'll try and find another one.
I can raise the lamp and I can move the plate. Should I remove the candles on the sofa table too?
The thing I'm not sure of is moving the typewriter to the speaker. I don't think the typewriter and books will fit on the top of it. The surface of the end table is a lot bigger and they "just" fit on it. Hmmm, when I get home from work this evening I will see if it can be done!
What about putting the typewriter & books in the center of the sofa table behind the couch, in between both lamps?

Thanks guys I love the help! Please respond with any and all other ideas!!

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Again, my concern is that the typewriter will be lost if placed behind the sofa and may look awkward there too. Could you posts pic of the other side of the room?

Posts: 18657 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
I like your room a lot and do agree that one of the leather benches would be better than the table which might be o.k. but is too high.

I would move the typewriter and make it more of a statement. Besides wouldn't you need that table top for a book/drink etc?

I would take the speaker with the plant, remove the plant, put the typewriter on the speaker and instead of angling it in the room just have it against the window wall. I would also suggest putting a piece of paper in the typewriter and maybe get some accessories (erasers, white out etc) to put with the typewriter.

IMHO the typewriter used on the table doesn't make much sense but in my way it could look like you just want to dash off a note!

Actually maybe switch the typewriter with the red element. The red would add a nice punch of color in the corner.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lady of shallot,

Posts: 12545 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Oh about the pillows. Yes repeat the red and maybe the curtain color and the sofa color. I don't think you need another lamp behind the love seat in front of window. Maybe by the long sofa but we can't see all of that.

You have nice things and a nice room. You need some minor tweaking but you will become more confidant with more time. You have good taste.

Posts: 12545 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok, I raised the lamp and added a few pillows. I'm not sure about the pillows. And I don't have anything on the longer couch so I still have to shop. But for starters, what do you think about these pillows? Keep or return?

Lady, I just saw your note. I will try your suggestion too!

FrooFroo, I can't take a pc of the other side of the room just now. DH had a minor surgery so right now there is a recliner taking up space on that side. I'll see if I have any older pics that show that side and will post if I do. Or I'll wait till the recliner is put away! :-)

posted Hide Post
Oops! I forgot to include the new pic....

Pillows

posted Hide Post
Too much red now huh?

posted Hide Post
Wider view and changed up pillows

Long couch too

posted Hide Post
Changed pillows?

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
I agree with you that it's too much red on that end of the room. How about moving the two red pillows onto the large sofa and see if you like it.

Oh and here's a vote to keep the current coffee table and create a vignette with the typewriter there. It looks lonely without decor on it so add a tray to the coffee table for drinks or snacks. Perhaps even bring the candle display down to the table.

Another suggestion is to stack the curtains back to the edge of window and change out the sheers for a bamboo blind. Something with a texture would add another element to the room. There are solar shades (roller) that have weaves in them.

Most of all have fun playing and trying different arrangements for your room.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9435 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wanda- I have no idea what's up with men and their speakers! These ginormous things have sat in my living room for too many years now, but I just can't talk him into letting them go!

posted Hide Post
What about removing the Mexican hat and putting the typewriter there instead as a focal point?
Does it fit? It looks like it would.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Wow, that red looks fantastic!!! Your room is very pretty! I, also, have my grandpa's old typewriter on display!

We had a "speaker" issue for many years....but only in a basement room. They were magnets for cat hair....yuck! I finally got DH to let me replace them. The new speakers sit on a shelf and are only a couple of inches tall. Plus....the guy that installed the tiny new ones gave me several hundred dollars for the old ones!!! It was a wonderful thing Wink.

Posts: 3149 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grapefruit I wish I could have that kind of luck! Getting rid of the speakers AND making money on them too! Every blue moon DH does think about selling them, but its always a passing thought! Maybe one day I'll convince him!

posted Hide Post
I think the typewriter needs to be on a proper desk with a desk chair to be effective--even if it is never used. "Write" now it is only taking up needed space on the side table.

Posts: 3402 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post