Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Can I redo this kitchen? Won't buy the house unless I know I can. Please look, thanks
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can I redo this kitchen? Won't buy the house unless I know I can. Please look, thanks Sign In/Join 
posted
I am first going to try to load the pic and if it works, I will post the pic below because the pics wouldn't post from my ipad, they were too large, so now I'm trying from my computer. If it works, I'll write the message below the pics. Thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chloenkitty,

Posts: 423 | Registered: Jun 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oooh it worked! Ok, I'll post more pics now. As you can see, the kitchen is nice, but it's just not what I want in my forever home. To me, it's too dark and confined. On the other side of the wall where the stove is is the family room. On the other side of the wall where the sink is is the den. The family room side wall is a bit load bearing. The structural engineer said it could come down, but we should put up a column or keep a half wall and put posts on top of the half wall for support. The den wall where the sink is is not load bearing so that can come down.
If we do not take any walls down, what can I do to open this kitchen up and make it look brighter? My initial thoughts are to take out the windows and replace them with large French doors to go out to the deck. I will also replace the cabinets with white ones that go all the way up to the ceiling and a quartzite countertop that looks like marble and a very pale light blue milk glass back splash. I also need new appliances and, as you can see, the refrigerator is a standard size. We would like a larger one so I'd get rid of the cabinets next to the refrigerator and put in a larger one and I don't know what I'd do with the extra space next to the new refrigerator, maybe a tall, narrow cabinet for brooms or one with shelves for food, etc.
I really, really want an island so I'd take that curve out of there where the sink is and again, this is all if the walls don't come down, I think the only choice I'd have is to take the cabinets down that wall straight and put an island in the center of the kitchen.
So please give me your opinions on what I should/could do to this kitchen to make it not feel like such a cave. It's just too dark and confining for me. Should I take the den wall down? Should I make the family room wall a half wall? If I do the half wall, where do I put the stove and the cabinet space I lose there. It's not a tiny kitchen, but it's not big either, I just think it isn't configured very well and is too dark. One concern if you didn't read my last post is that the ceiling is lower in the kitchen than the family room and den on either side of it, which is strange.
So ok friends, please let me know your thoughts, this kitchen is the only thing keeping me from making an offer on a house I otherwise really like, but to me a kitchen is very important. Thank you!

posted Hide Post
another pic

posted Hide Post
one more

posted Hide Post
So many views and no replies? Frown

Picture of Belstone
posted Hide Post
It doesn't appear to be on an exterior wall...or is it? It's very small and, as is, I don't see room for an island. If, as you say, you are willing to take over an adjacent space and spend major bucks...and the money you spend won't over build for the area, I say go for it! It's difficult to judge without seeing a floorplan so I'm just winging it here, but merging the space could give you a dream kitchen with everything your little heart desires. Getting expert opinion and an estimate of cost is necessary before you move ahead, of course, and having a really good idea of your wants and needs before meeting with said expert is imperative!

Good luck!

**Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain**

Posts: 3637 | Location: Here, by the grace of God... | Registered: Jan 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is there a reason you want an island? So many of my clients think they want an island and more often than not, the room is simply not large enough. Try to do a layout with a peninsula and an island and see which is the most functional. Unless you can walk around with plenty of space, it may not be for you.

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted Hide Post
I'm guess the last wall or area we didn't see is where the stove/oven is?

Posts: 9425 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The stove is to the left in pic 1 and 3. You could see it in the original pics, but this darn forum site said my pics were too many kb so I had to reduce them Frown
My cousin is a contractor and he is going to see it with me tomorrow afternoon so we are going to let that be the deciding factor. I hate to sound like a kitchen is making or breaking if we buy a house, but I just really, really dislike how confining and dark it is, not my taste at all and if it's our forever home, I gotta love it Smile I don't mind a project and even look forward to creating new spaces and looks so, hopefully it will work out. I will let you know tomorrow.

posted Hide Post
PS I would love an island. It's just my husband and myself and we have what we call a breakfast bar where we live now and that's where we sit all the time and eat, read the paper, etc. and I've always wanted one. Can I live without one, sure, but I would like some type of counter space with stools.

Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
what exactly is an island going to give you? my kitchen is really a good size, but if i'd installed one, I couldn't have 10 ft of counters and my "prized glass" cabinets on the one side...

Posts: 8479 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pics 1 and 3 are taken from my back being to the windows that overlook the back yard with the kitchen table immediately to my right. Pic 2 is standing kind of next to the stove (with the stove being to my right, pic 4 is my back up against the sink.
If walls dont come down, do any of you see any possibility of this kitchen being configured more open and bright to make me happy?

posted Hide Post
sjf, in our original plans to build a home, there was enough room for an island. It's just difficult to have to change things now since the land fell through. I have attached a pic of my inspiration kitchen that I was going to try very hard to replicate. Seeing this pic and seeing the pics of the kitchen in the house we are thinking of buying will tell you why I am feeling the way I am. You can see I like bright, modern and open and the kitchen in the existing house is not. I know I wouldn't get this exact kitchen in that house, but this is basically the style I like.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chloenkitty,

Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
If you don't think you're going to be able to do and it really makes you unhappy, then don't buy it. I guess you'd have to ask yourself if the better kitchen outweighs all of the other good points of the house. No house is perfect, unless of course, you build it, on the perfect lot, in the perfect neighborhood, etc.

BTW, I LOVE your inspiration kitchen.

Wanda

Posts: 4795 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted Hide Post
Well like they say "kitchens sell houses"...I hope you are able to get or make this kitchen what you want.

Posts: 9425 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not expecting this exact kitchen in this home, but darnit I just want to make sure it can be open and bright, not the dark, claustrophic cave it feels like. I sometimes wonder what contractors are thinking. This one house we looked at was really nice, but it was odd, it had a huge dining room and tiny kitchen! Don't they realize kitchens and bathrooms sell houses, especially kitchens!? Another house that we liked had a tiny master bedroom and the master bath was like 4 times the size. I just don't get it sometimes what people are thinking! Like this house we are looking at, why a huge vaulted ceiling in the family room and high ceiling in the den that are on both sides of the kitchen, but a low ceiling and smaller kitchen? Ugh!

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Not everyone cooks. AND I am in agreement with you, why not have a larger kitchen or at least one that is not closed off and badly planned?

I wish you luck with your new house find!

Posts: 9525 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
HI,

Can you resize the pics? It's hard to tell the layout from the current pics and may the reason for minimum replies. Do you have a floorplan of the house? That may help also

If your vision and the reality of the house are way off and you aren't happy, then suggest waiting. It also depends on your tolerance for budgets and how much you are willing to spend to bring the kitchen up to your inspiration.

Would you be happy settling for something different? Good Luck in your decision!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9313 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If anyone knows how to resize the pics to post them here, please let me know! I have found several times I was unable to post pics because it said it exceeded the allowed kb on this forum Frown

Mary Ruth, I was hoping to hear from you my dear! I've missed you! If you read my other post, it's been a very rough few months for me. My father got really bad with his alzheimers and eventually passed away. my mom had a really tough time so I was going non stop practically 24/7 with all the paperwork, doctor calls, hospital, then hospice, etc. It was a tough time, but I'm glad to be back visiting the boards, but sadly, our land fell through, that's why the house hunting continues.

I'm not much of a cook either, lol, that's why I am hoping an enjoyable kitchen with room to maneuver and enjoy cooking will make me cook more. I actually like my existing kitchen better than the one in this house and my kitchen at home is on the small size. I know a kitchen isn't everything, but I grew up where the kitchen was the room everyone gathered and I'd like that for my home. You know what they say, if momma ain't happy,ain't nobody happy. Please keep your fingers crossed for me because if budget allows and we can redo this kitchen, we will buy it!

posted Hide Post
chloe, go to your pictures and then to Paint. Under Images you will find Resize. I always do 50% horizontal and 50% vertical, then apply and save. That should enable you to post the pic on this site.

Posts: 3233 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jewel
posted Hide Post
Pretty much anything can be done, it just depends on how much budget you have to work with. If the wall between the kitchen and the den is load-bearing, it can still come down to allow more light and more layout flexibility, but it'll just cost ya. The ceiling can be raised, but it'll cost ya if there's a bunch of venting/pipes in the way. Etc etc etc.

Posts: 8186 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
We have a Mac and to resize pics I first make sure they are in my photo program and then when I mark to export them there is an option to export them at the size they are or to change the size. I always choose 400 for the largest view (horizontal or vertical) and the program automatically changes the size of the other measurement.

Posts: 12133 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's my 2 cents worth. Yes, you can create your dream kitchen in that space. The only thing that will stop you is your imagination and your budget. Whatever price your contractor puts on it, plan to add at least 10-15% because once you start tearing out walls, there are things you won't have anticipated that will cost more than you think. We once had to re-route plumbing to the tune of thousands because all of it was in the load bearing wall.

Posts: 783 | Registered: Jul 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cavin:
Here's my 2 cents worth. Yes, you can create your dream kitchen in that space. The only thing that will stop you is your imagination and your budget. Whatever price your contractor puts on it, plan to add at least 10-15% because once you start tearing out walls, there are things you won't have anticipated that will cost more than you think. We once had to re-route plumbing to the tune of thousands because all of it was in the load bearing wall.

You got some good advice here...

in MY opinion,:
Hi! I am glad to see you too! So sorry to hear about your dad's passing. So many events going on in your life! How are you holding up?

I have looked for a house while my BIL was very ill and we had to leave the realtor in a house we didn't get to view or were half way when we got 'the calls' to rush to the hospital so I can understand what your last few months must have been like stress-wise. We ended up having to put off buying for a while.

If you have an idea of what you want your kitchen to 'work' like, then a plan can be made to create the kitchen.

I have a Peninsula in my kitchen now and the dining area similar to what you have shown in the first photo of the kitchen (without the window). We are going to remove the Peninsula because it blocks the flow and the counter ends up being used as a dumping station as we walk in from shopping.

What I like about that kitchen set up in the house you are considering:
Is that there is a window where the table is and you can do a banquette there that will have natural light.

I like the fridge being off on its own, the door should open so as to have access to the counter so you can take something out with one hand and set it on the counter, picture shows door might open the opposite.

Where does that hallway go that is to the right of the fridge in the last photo? You need room for a pantry... Of course a floor plan would work out well for planning a kitchen and utilizing plumbing will help greatly in keeping the cost reasonable for that.

Also what is behind the stove wall?

House on a slab? have basement? or crawl?

Not sure IF you have the space for a proper island, the width of the kitchen seems to be less than would be required for one. You would need at minimum 14 feet minimum across (2' each side for cabinets, minimum 3' traffic on each side of island, and 4' for width of good island size). Add another foot to make it 15' across if you have a wall oven put on the current stove wall area, to have more room to open the oven door.

As you can see, there is a lot to figuring HOW much work you actually NEED to do to have a kitchen you want. IF you can get a measurement with rough kitchen floor plan, you can get a local kitchen designer to draw up a plan so you can get an estimate on how many cabinets you could fit.

If you could fit an island, then I would imagine the stove is opposite the sink... and you could incorporate a cooktop on the island and do a wall of storage like pantry cabinets and wall oven on that wall since you would gain counter on the island. That is if there is no pantry storage anyplace else not shown in photos.

Removing the stove wall all together would give you what I call a 'wall-less' side of that kitchen to open it up. That way your stove could be in the island facing the sink and not in view of the rest of the house. This would give you the largest possible island you could fit.

ALSO: The cabinets in your inspiration photo are amazing, my favorite white cabinets. The photo shows 'inset' doors and those are more expensive than regular doors, so consider that when planning.

Is there a dining room other than that area to the side of the kitchen? In my house, I have my eating area like that, since there is no other space set aside for a dining room.

PICTURE ATTACHED:
This is my kitchen, in the process of being remodeled. The dining area is not shown but is to the left in the floor plan. This is a quick drawing I made in Microsoft Paint program to show our proposed changes in our kitchen. As you can see, the Peninsula will be removed. We cannot expand our kitchen as the supporting walls are set, and the whole house is around 1800 sq feet. I posted this so you could get a visual of the kitchen and dining space I have in my house that I mentioned above.

My first plan shows Before kitchen, it is a smaller drawing that does not include the dining space, the second plan shows the dining area. WE have a bar behind the sink, wall is open in that area into the Den so we didn't need seating that is at Peninsula. Second drawing shows sink with counter drawn in Den. AND my island will be only 3' wide, I do not have enough width do do a 4' wide island.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Ruth,

kit b n a

Posts: 9525 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, much cousin ( a contractor) looked at the house and said the walls could come down etc but it would be alot of work (re-wiring, plumbing etc) but we expected that. The basement was not finished and had a b-dry system installed. One very important reason we are looking for a new home is because my husband wants a man cave downstairs. Sadly, my cousin said he foresees problems with the basement and water and he would expect it to have foundation deterioration in the future. He also said the house was way too cut up, especially for what I say my style is, so he suggested against buying the house. We were sad because we loved the neighborhood, outside style of the house. So......the search continues. Thank you for all your input, hopefully something comes along soon!

Also, thank you for your kind words, Mary Ruth, it's been a tough 6 months and sadly, it's been that way for so many people I know. Maybe it's the 13!

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Too bad, BUT you NOW have your formula! BRING COUSIN to the house BEFORE starting to attach to it! That way you save yourself a lot of thinking for nothing! Will be much easier on you to 'fit' into your needs and budget before dreaming of the space, hard to do I know, but you learned a lot about yourself through your house-hunting experiences.

I hope you find the RIGHT place! Or just build!