Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cool find Sign In/Join 
posted
This is why I wish I could take this house apart myself! This is what the contractor found today after taking down 70s paneling and ancient wallpaper - the '07 is 1907! The tax rolls say the house was built in 1915, but maybe it was earlier, or maybe it was re-used wood. Rector was the maiden name of the mom of the family that lived in the house throughout the 20th century.

Posts: 4022 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Such a neat find. It may be that the tax rolls don't start until 1915 or that new permits were pulled for added construction in 1915 that re-set the build date.

Posts: 1727 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Nitalynn the tax rolls of a town/city are not necessarily correct when it comes to the age of a house. I did a title search on my own home and because on a beam in the attic was penciled a name and date, I always thought that was a carpenter and the house built in 1914.

No, found out it was a cousin of the woman born here in 1908 and house built in l905.

If you have the time it is fun to do the title search.

Posts: 12148 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Gracie and Emily. That's kind of what I was thinking; I know tax rolls are not always correct. How do you do a title search, Emily?

Posts: 4022 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go to the county court house where the house is. On the deed it would have a number or something that refers to a book the house is in. Each sales transaction of the house will lead you backwards till you find when the house was built.

this is not difficult to do. Plus the people at the court house can guide you.

My house has only had 3 owners so simple to do.

More owners more work!

Another way to check is to look in old city directories (I think libraries still have them) Check out the address which will appear even if no one was interviewed for inclusion. In this case you could start backward and work forward.

posted Hide Post
Thanks, Emily. I think it was always owned by the same family. I am taking off work next week in order to keep an eye on the deconstruction, so maybe I'll have a chance to make a trip to the courthouse!

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
oh how FUN! Smile

Posts: 9528 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kw2
posted Hide Post
you should frame that and keep it with the house

Posts: 4293 | Registered: Apr 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted Jun 30, 2013 08:26 AM Hide Post
you should frame that and keep it with the house

It is an integral part of the house so Nitalynn might want to frame a picture of it!

posted Hide Post
kw2 and Emily - since we are going to rebuild the house on a new infrastructure, we are not going to re-use every piece of wood exactly where it was before...so actually I HAD thought of framing, or otherwise displaying, those two boards Smile