Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Bathroom window treatments
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bathroom window treatments Sign In/Join 
Picture of wendek
posted
I know it's already been reviewed, but i forget.. what sort of window treatments do you have?

I have a huge 60"x60" window over the tub which faces the back yard and the neighbors. The mini blinds are on their last string and it's time to get real and pick something beautiful.

I've thought of everything from capiz shells which would require some home made crafting, to simple vertical blinds-whose functionality i like.
I used to have stick on window film but because the window sits in the sun all day one of the panes shattered and had to be replaced.

This is the offending window, that line across is a temporary tension rod so i can at least hang something for privacy until i come up with a solution.

Show me what you've got.
Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wendek,

Posts: 4337 | Location: SF | Registered: Feb 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
A neighbor of ours used plantation shutters on hers. A roman shade may be another option.

Posts: 18385 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
My bath window is about the size of a pillow sham and I used that (on a tension rod) for a window covering. Some 'openness' is at the sides, about an inch. I made a small slit on the back of the sham so the rod could slip through. Everyone likes it. Smile

Posts: 2769 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a roll-down Silhouette shade on one of my large bathroom windows. That way, I can open the vanes and get some natural light, but still maintain privacy.

Posts: 1725 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I have pleated shades on our bathroom windows. They are "up" all day in order to let in the natural light. They are hidden by a curtain swag.

At night I simply pull them down. It is a perfect set-up for us.

Posts: 3031 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jewel
posted Hide Post
I have plantation shutters.

Posts: 8187 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wendek
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses, everyone.

GraciePj, are the silhouette shades like vertical with fabric between them?

Posts: 4337 | Location: SF | Registered: Feb 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
What about checking into how much it would cost to replace the glass to something frosted/textured or whatever to obscure the view.

or maybe see what replacing the window w/ glass blocks... I realize that is more expensive, but I guess you don't know until you have an estimate made.

~~~becca~~~~

Posts: 5537 | Location: dayton ohio | Registered: Jul 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wendek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by out on a limb:
What about checking into how much it would cost to replace the glass to something frosted/textured or whatever to obscure the view.

or maybe see what replacing the window w/ glass blocks... I realize that is more expensive, but I guess you don't know until you have an estimate made.

that's a good idea. It was about $300 to replace the one pane that shattered. i'll look into it, it may be the smartest route for privacy.

posted Hide Post
We recently replaced our frosted window with clear glass because we didn't care for the textured glass. Then we had a bottom up, top down blind installed. The blind gives you a lot of options for privacy and light control. On most days I have it open at the top so no one can see in but I can see the trees and sky when I look out.

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I have shutters on my bathroom windows, and I like that they give me privacy, can be opened if I want, and are also easy to wipe down.

Another idea could be to have a leaded glass window made to fit inside the window you already have. You could do all clear (not colored) textured glass. That would give you privacy and also it would let in the light. Plus it would be beautiful.

Posts: 7076 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a huge fan of natural light and found a solution - "bottom-up" pleated shades. They are like normal mini-blinds or pleated shades, but anchor at the bottom of the window instead of the top. The ones I had were white, opaque, waffle blinds, but I could raise them high enough to provide privacy while still being open at the top to allow ventilation and light.

Posts: 31 | Registered: May 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wendek
posted Hide Post
Thanks again, ladies, i like your ideas.

With the top down or bottom up styles, do you have any problems with opening your windows for air? my windows slide left to right, and it does get quite breezy here.

Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
My top-down shades would not interfere with opening or closing the windows.

Posts: 3031 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Hi Wendek,

You have such a nice problem deciding on the WT. Love the large window and think you have a good direction with the curtains and shade. It's always fun to explore all the options and ideas.

Most likely adding the cell shade will work to provide enough light-blocking for privacy. You can get them with a room darkening feature.

I would shorten the curtains to fall right between the bottom of window and tub ledge.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9325 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wendek
posted Hide Post
thanks for the help, Beau's Rose! I've been going a bit crazy trying to decide the best options. Smile Window Treatments and wall color always baffle me.

I've ordered the panels in 63 inches so I will hang them so they hang just below the ledge. and post pictures when it's done. If these don't work i'll probably just end up sewing my own. Smile but at least, i'm happy to be going in the right direction. thanks for the ideas.

The old mini blinds finally fell out of the window so I have a shower curtain hanging there, definitely a short term fix.

Picture of wendek
posted Hide Post
Taa Daa..

I know you've all been waiting with bated breath, what i put up in the bathroom...

it's a work in progress, awaiting the sheers to arrive.

posted Hide Post
Go for Sheer Window Curtains. They look really beautiful in bathrooms. I had got them installed by the http://tbsgallery.com/. Have a look

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Thomasjacob,

Drapes

Posts: 16 | Registered: Dec 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post