Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  2/7 update...Wallpaper coming down...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2/7 update...Wallpaper coming down... Sign In/Join 
posted
This is the last of the original wallpaper I put up when we bought this house in 1985...not the last of the wallpaper in the house (I still have wallpaper downstairs), but the last of the original. This is the upstairs hall bath (typically known as the "girls' bath" but they have left the nest...). There have been various reasons for putting this off...financial, and also the room has some structural issues which DH had felt needed to be addressed before the cosmetic issues. We did have it assessed by an engineer about 10 years ago, and he said it was sound, just "sagging." DH wasn't satisfied with that, but has recently changed his tune and said we need to go ahead with the cosmetic. I will strip the wallpaper and patch the walls myself; DH and/or I will remove the popcorn ceiling; we will pay to have it textured; I will paint it myself; DH will frame the mirror; and the rest will be hired (new lighting and floor). I decided to leave the vanity and counter...they match all the others in the house and DH refinished the vanity a few years back. I recently recaulked the counter.

This will be my "winter project." I will keep you updated.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nitalynn,

Posts: 4080 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Big project! Keep us posted.

Posts: 3265 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I admire your willingness to tackle most of this project yourselves. As a fellow DIYER, I can relate to the labor and challenges involved. I too face some wallpaper stripping this year and hope that because we originally applied it and sized the walls, it won't be too difficult. I look forward to viewing pics of your remodeled bathroom.

Posts: 18675 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Great project to do for winter. I can see you will have a LOT of work! But, tackling a bit at a time... really makes a difference! Will be watching for updates! Smile

Posts: 9717 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Know what I like about wallpaper removal? You can get as messy as you like!

All told though this is a big project, but think how much you will love your improvements.

Posts: 12598 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Nita I know what a chore it is to remove wallpaper. I've done my share in my day. But I still love wallpaper, and wouldn't hesitate to put more up. lol

Posts: 4701 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, all, for your encouragement.

lilsophie - I still like wallpaper, too. I think it's very useful as a transition between rooms. Every room painted the same color can be boring, and every room painted a different color can look a little discordant or busy. Throw a little wallpaper in the mix, and you have a smooth transition that ties it all together. However, I'm thinking ahead to eventually selling the house, so adding more wallpaper at this point wouldn't be prudent Smile (Although I did tell DH last night after starting this job, that it made my mind up that I would NOT strip anymore wallpaper before selling; we'd just have to take the loss.)

Posts: 4080 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Nitalynn,

Cheering you with your projects! Wallpaper and popcorn ceilings in the same room? You are brave. Please show us update pics as you go along.

Good luck!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9438 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Update: Wallpaper is finally down! It took parts of 4(?) weekends (I've lost track)...It was one of the most stubborn I've encountered (and my fault since I put it up, and didn't properly prime). I could have rented a steamer and made it easier, but decided since there was no great hurry I would just persevere. A lot of the drywall was damaged in the process and will have to be patched. Here is pic one of three.

posted Hide Post
Pic two - the flourescent light will be coming down (as well as the popcorn ceiling), and the tape on the mirror marks where the new mirror will go.

posted Hide Post
One more - yes, the ugly brass shower enclosure will be staying for now, but will be covered by a shower curtain.

Next up - the ceiling and mirror come down, the walls get patched, the new light gets installed, the walls and ceiling get textured and painted, the new mirror gets framed and hung, new flooring gets installed, new shower curtain gets made, and new artwork gets added...I think that's it - whew!

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Nita,
You sure have been BUSY! I have removed lots of stubborn wallpaper in my day... so I feel for you knowing how slowly the job goes! So glad for you it is ALL OFF!!!

Can't wait to see it done!

Posts: 9717 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Nitalynn,

Wow on your progress! I admire your skills and determination to keep at it.

Are you scraping the popcorn or hiring that task out to someone?

More cheers for you!

Posts: 9438 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sonny Dayz
posted Hide Post
applause applause..I admire your persistance.

that was so much work, but you GOT "er DoneSmile

I know it'll all be worth it, when its completed.

cant wait to see it.

to see my projects view my Blog.
http://155dreamlane.blogspot.com/

Posts: 9987 | Location: NC ~zone 7B | Registered: Jun 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, MR and BR. BR - We're going to do it ourselves. It's such a small area, and in our master all we had to do was get it wet and it basically fell off.

Picture of Tammy Loves Roses
posted Hide Post
I can TOTALLY relate to your project! In comparison to other rooms I have to redo, the 2nd bathroom seemed pretty small in comparison. Removed wallpaper, scraped the popcorn off the ceiling, wall repair, tile repair and painting - just for starters. I also had to come up with a better shower concept. Each thing seemed to turn into a bigger project for some reason. And that included a 911 call when I broke a water line below the shut off valve! Room is still not finished but it is getting there - albeit extremely slow. Thank you so much for sharing!!! There were times I felt it would have been easier to gut the room completely rather than make all the repairs.

Tammy

Posts: 8313 | Location: western TN | Registered: Jun 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sonny - I missed your post earlier because we were posting at the same time. Thanks for your encouragement!

Tammy - Sounds like you have a bigger project(s) on your hands than I do!

The fabric for the shower curtain came today (I found it at the local JoAnn but they didn't have enough so I ordered from joann.com - I got a great deal, 50% off plus free shipping.

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Hello Tammy! PM me would love to catch up!

NITA, LOVE that fabric! I was at JoAnn's yesterday and found fabric I liked, $59.00 per yard for ticking! Yikes! I should check online and see what sales they have!

Going to be a classy bathroom!

Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
we ended up re-drywalling! they had this vinyl wall covering that wasn't going to come off no matter how much we used the tiger or wp stripper! and in shade of blue along with blue toilet and bath!

we didn't go back with tub but got a walk-in shower, for my mother...after she passed, it's become mine!

Posts: 8531 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looking at your pics, our projects are similar in scope, I think. The shower thing may have been an additional thing for me but so proud of myself because I did all of it - including the plumbing. And it still works!!! My ex-housemate moved to NC and put in new bamboo flooring and brought me the hardwood they pulled up. So... if I ever get the main bathroom up and running, I then have to take everything in 2nd bathroom out to put down new subfloor and then her hardwood flooring. You will be long done by the time I get mine done!!!

Mary Ruth - will do!! Going out of town and not sure I'll have a chance to write something that makes sense until I get back. Unfortunately where I am going - no internet available.

Tammy

Posts: 8313 | Location: western TN | Registered: Jun 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh!! It must be late - forgot to say that I reslly like the fabric!!!! lol Getting old ya know! Lol Memory is not what it used to be!

Tammy

posted Hide Post
Update 2/2 - started scraping off the popcorn today (all by myself...)...I was really sure I could do it in one day, and I COULD have if I hadn't gotten waylaid by other family members' needs (or had about one more hour of energy Wink )...I got it more than 2/3 done, just lack the area over the tub. MESSY job!!

Picture of paintlady
posted Hide Post
I'm amazed and impressed at the work you are doing. Definitely not easy work. You deserve a standing ovation. I cannot imagine undertaking a task like this right now. Can't wait to see what you ultimately do with this room.

Posts: 9010 | Registered: Jul 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
OH Nita! So happy for you that the popcorn is going bye bye! I am amazed at how much you are doing yourself! Your determination is showing and it is awesome!

LOOKING so good!

posted Hide Post
Why, thank you both, Rita and M.R.! I wish the popcorn was going bye-bye in the whole house, but that's just not happening right now.

Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
My goodness you have a lot of energy!! I love doing home improvement, but this project would be beyond me Smile

Wanda

Posts: 4859 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
congratulations, Nitalynn, on a hard job well done! Oh how wonderful it will feel when that first brush full of paint goes on your nice clean surfaces!

Posts: 12598 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wanda - I don't know about energy; just a lot of determination I guess!
Emily - still a ways off from the paint job, but yes it will be nice to finally get that far!

Picture of Sonny Dayz
posted Hide Post
Nita,
your persistance is paying off big time..
I applaud you~!
Its going to be amazingly beautiful.

Go Girl, Go.

Posts: 9987 | Location: NC ~zone 7B | Registered: Jun 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stripping wallpaper takes a while but is worth it in the end! I've just started a blog because I'm renovating my bedroom and wanted a way to document it. I'd just posted on it about my wall paper stripping and then saw your post on here. my first thought was "well I'm glad its not just me". Good luck with the stripping and havefun!

Feel free to check out my blog http://minikizz.blogspot.co.uk/

Posts: 3 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: Feb 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"How I Spent my (4th?) Snow Day" (on which there was absolutely no snow or ice whatsoever, but we've been having a crazy ride here in Austin, and I'm just going with the flow...)

I finished scraping the ceiling, sanded and patched it, and (with DH's help) took down the mirror.

Ceiling:

posted Hide Post
Mirror gone! (Also notice the writing on the wall...it's from the original build, and says "paper all walls" - lol! DD was totally confused; she said "did you write that?" and I told her no - the walls were papered when we moved in and I re-papered them, but I have absolutely NO memory of what the original wallpaper was!)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nitalynn,

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
MOVING along so well, and what a professional job you are doing! Will you be for hire after this? I say with tongue in cheek!

LOOKING GREAT! Thanks so much for sharing your experience! IT makes me feel more productive somehow, seeing something getting done and done well! Smile At the moment living vicariously through you! Smile

Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
How exciting!!!! When I moved into my house, there was wallpaper everywhere. Thankfully it was easy to pull down. Last year I pulled down the last of the wallpaper in my kitchen. No more wallpaper in my future!!

Looking great and thanks for sharing!!

~~~becca~~~~

Posts: 5585 | Location: dayton ohio | Registered: Jul 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Removing paper can be a bit time consuming if it wasn't applied/prepped properly. I admire your ambition and look forward to the final project.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Feb 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post