Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Monday Morning/Favorite finds 7/1/13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Monday Morning/Favorite finds 7/1/13 Sign In/Join 
Picture of Skyler
posted
Happy Monday and Happy July!

I wanted to send out a big thank you to Beau's Rose for starting MMF last week while I was away. I appreciate it and I know everyone else does too Smile

Had a great time in NYC but it's nice to be home.

I checked out last week's MMF and see that you all had some great treasures to share. I hope this week will be the same.

Please share pictures or just tell us about any goodies you've encountered. Items may be old or new and we always love to hear prices too.

Okay, let the fun begin...

Posts: 10407 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Jun 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sonny Dayz
posted Hide Post
morning~!

I got a new front door..

here's the link to the before and after.

http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/for...4079532/m/4693957177

thanks for the thread Skyler. Happy to finally have something to show offSmile

to see my projects view my Blog.
http://155dreamlane.blogspot.com/

Posts: 9975 | Location: NC ~zone 7B | Registered: Jun 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sonny Dayz
posted Hide Post
best of luck MLV~!

wow I have 2 things to show today..
I just bought this table. its in great shape. 75.00 and they delivered it too.. yeaaa

I'll paint the bottom white and the top will be done in ebony stain.

Posts: 9975 | Location: NC ~zone 7B | Registered: Jun 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annon
posted Hide Post
About three years ago my DH found this bed at a garage sale. It was missing all the hardware, but he thought it would be fun for the grands when they were a little bigger. I think he paid $25. We finally put it up (goodbye crib!) and I think they will love it. I do have a rail for the top bunk.

Posts: 3545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Have lots this week but in a rush. Will come back to post more and comment on others.

This is actually the first jewelry box I have ever owned. Usually use, things I contrive or convert.

$20 at my favorite discount store.

Posts: 12238 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annon
posted Hide Post
W like to shop at antique and used junk places, and it's not often we see something we've never seen before. This cabinet is about 48" high, 36" wide. When you open it up you expect to find shelves, but surprise! It's a giant drying rack that completely causes the entire cabinet to unfold. The dowels were at least one inch in diameter. I thought it would make a great display for my antique quilts, but I couldn't think of anywhere to put it, since it has to open from the front and back simultaneously. So.....we didn't buy it. the cost was $500 and I thought it OK, since it was so unusual.

Posts: 3545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will hold a lot but not all, but at least things are more centralized.

posted Hide Post
DH calls this a genie basket. He keeps hoping one will jump out!

Free from swap shop. Will use in attic for throw pillow storage.

Picture of Skyler
posted Hide Post
Sonny, you sure did get a front door....awesome work! I'm dying over that table right about now. I've always loved this style and they're usually fairly expensive. Nice deal! Be sure to show us the after picture as I know it will be wonderful.

MyLifeVacation, good for you! Best of luck in a speedy sale.

Annon, what an adorable bed. What little ones wouldn't love it? Sleeping at grandma and grandpas will be an extra special treat. I agree, that cabinet is unique.

LOS, I've found jewelry boxes to be so helpful! I'm a jewelry addict and if I don't have it all in one place it takes me an extra 10 minutes getting ready because I can't find what I;m looking for. I think you'll love it.

The "genie box" is great too, pretty shape. Free is always good.

Posts: 10407 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Jun 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sonny that table is great and a great price too! I love your choice of colors too.

Anon, that bed is adorable. We found one when I DGS was little that was a car.

What fun your grands will have with that and happy memories too!

posted Hide Post
We got a lot of stuff this Sat. at swap shop (more activity in summer)

Got this stack of books. complete works of Thackery, a new book on journals of Lewis & Clark which will be a Xmas present for DGS. Two first edition books of Bret Harte.

We had to donate a set of encyclopedias to have room for these new books. Doubt anyone will want them though.

posted Hide Post
These pillows for the porch. Also got some pillow forms (inc. a down pillow) and some pillow covers. Got a very cute duvet cover for an attic bed & a cuddletown pillow sham.

4 green & white plates.

a John Wright cast iron teakettle for stove in basement.

We have actually not been able to sit out yet on our porch. Weather has been grim.

Oh, a Spode Xmas tree bell to add to DD's collection & a small Greek vase also for her.

Some junk jewelry to put in a "treasure chest" I want to make for my sister's grandkids.

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Another great week for find. You all did good.
Great table Sonny.
Cute bed Annon
Adorable jewelry box LOS and cute pillow too.

Posts: 4594 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Skyler
posted Hide Post
Terrific finds LOS. You guys scored some great goodies. I hope the weather turns nice for you soon so you can enjoy your porch and those pretty pillows.

Picture of Sonny Dayz
posted Hide Post
wow Annon- love that bed.\

Emily you scored~! love those pillows

thanks Ya'll for your kind words about my door and table. its been a good few weeks around here..

Happy Treasure Hunting~!

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Hi Skyler!

Yes, thank you to Beau's Rose! And welcome back Skyler!

Sonny Dayz,
That is an amazing transformation! I love the NEW front door!
And the NEW table! I have always loved round pedistal oak tables! GREAT price too! AND delivered! You did GREAT!

Annon,
You had that 3 yrs and didn't set it up? I was not sure if I understood that right, so FINALLY got it set up, well it looks GREAT!
I have never seen a rack like that before!

Lady of shallot,
Jewelry box! $20 is a good deal! Your second photo shows the scale of the jewelry box, now I understand the size and how much it holds! I always LOVE finding baskets of any kind!
Always a good find to get good books!
You had a lot of good FINDS!

Posts: 9544 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Skyler
posted Hide Post
Thank you Mary Ruth!

Picture of Annon
posted Hide Post
It was a good weekend. I love the door, the table, the jewelry box....everything!

We didn't put the bed up because the kids were too small. We had a crib and a toddler bed in a smallish room, but now they've grown into it. It will be a fun surprise when they visit next week.

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Skyler, Smile

Annon,
I think it will be a Wonderful surprise! It is a really NEAT bed!

Posts: 9544 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sonny Dayz
posted Hide Post
thanks Mary Ruth.. I couldnt believe that table had been on CL for 11 days and no one had scooped it up.. it doesnt have a single blemish.
I feel very grateful to have gotten it.

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
LOS -- you always find the best stuff! I drool!

Anon -- that bed is super cute and I love the chest you didn't get -- that was so neat and so clever! Homemade? Amish made?

Sonny -- that is a nice table and can't believe the price! and what a great front door!

I didn't go anywhere this week -- sigh -- so I'm home alone empty handed!

Martha

Posts: 5466 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sonny Dayz
posted Hide Post
thanks Martha...

and , since you arent busy could you come hold this ladder so I can get on the roof and grab some measurementsSmileSmile

posted Hide Post
Great finds everyone.

LOS isn't it amazing what folks think is trash?

That bed is adorable. Table a bargain!

But, Sonny, your work still amazes me!

I was away for the weekend, so I'm late to my favorite MMF.

I found a Heinrichsen Nativity scene in a Thrift Store for $8.00! Can't seem to find anything on line about it but the pieces are marked HH. They are those little flat metal figurines that are usually a Winter/Ice Skate scene. Anyway, there are 25 pieces in the set and the ad in the box says $3.95.
Can't get a good picture so these are the main characters.

Posts: 1927 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Jaysmom -- I think you found a true treasure!

Martha

Posts: 5466 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sonny Dayz
posted Hide Post
oh Jaysmom.. that is so sweet. it will be a special item for your Christmas decor. good for you finding such a treasure.

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
jaysmom,
NICE treasure you found there! I will look forward to seeing how you set this set up!

posted Hide Post
I know it's not Monday morning, but I wanted to share my finds! I found this old typewriter at a garage sale the other day. I don't know if I got a deal or not ($20) but I liked it! I didn't have anyplace to put it, so I found an old end table at a thrift shop for $25 that needs a little touching up, but not too bad. Then I spent $10 for some old books. I think it's pretty good for $55! What do you guys think?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: LauraJ,

Posts: 436 | Location: Huber Heights,Ohio,USA | Registered: Nov 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really wanted to find an old folding camera from the 1920's to set with the typewriter, maybe on top the books laying beside the typewriter. Do you think it would be too cluttered if I did?

Posts: 436 | Location: Huber Heights,Ohio,USA | Registered: Nov 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
LauraJ,
Great typewriter! YES a GREAT deal!
Are those the old books in the photo? Nice addition to carry the older theme...

I think the old cameras are nice too. I think it would be a nice addition to the vignette. Do you have more older items around the room?

Picture of Skyler
posted Hide Post
Jaysmom, what a great set! Terrific price too.

Laura, I love that typewriter...brings back memories. I think you got a good deal too.

posted Hide Post
Thanks! Yes they are books from the same era! And one of them is an old typewriter lessons book with typing text & the binding on top. It has old images of typewriters just like mine! I thought that was an added bonus!

This is actually the first time I've put any older era items in the house. I worried it wouldn't work with my more transitional style, but I think it works with it! I was surprised! I've been watching EBay for an old camera!

I did have to borrow the lamp from another table in the room so I'm going out today to look for another lamp!

Thanks for responding!!

quote:
Originally posted by Mary Ruth:
LauraJ,
Great typewriter! YES a GREAT deal!
Are those the old books in the photo? Nice addition to carry the older theme...

I think the old cameras are nice too. I think it would be a nice addition to the vignette. Do you have more older items around the room?

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
LauraJ,

Oh how wonderful that you got a book about typing lessons! How COOL is that? Definitely an added bonus!

I think you are OFF to a GREAT start on your new...OLD decor! I LOVE it!

Picture of Skyler
posted Hide Post
Laura, old fans are also fun! I have a very old one on display in my family room. It still works but I don't use it(or even plug it in) for safety reasons.

posted Hide Post
I thought about an old fan too! I just don't know where I'd put it. I don't think I'd plug one in either! But I really love the old look!

posted Hide Post
Hmmm, I wonder, could I put an old fan on the bottom shelf of the table? Or would that be too much all together?

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
LauraJ,
Collecting is all about the treasure hunt! Why not wait and see what pops in front of you on one of your treasure finding missions? So much more fun that way!

And since the bottom of that table is not that visible.. I would save it for clutter control. Take photos from around your room and see where something else might be needed for interest.

Good luck with your FUN discovery!