Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Installing toilet paper holder question plz
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Installing toilet paper holder question plz Sign In/Join 
Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted
I still don't have a TP holder up yet.

I picked up a standing holder but don't like it. The bathroom is so small as it is, I don't need anything else on the floor.

SO I decided a TP holder will have to go on the side of the vanity which I my only concern with that is the lack of thickness of the vanity. My option is to add a piece of wood to the inside to give more beef to drill in to.

SO here is my question. The scr3ws that came with the TP holder bracket comes with a anchor which normally you are using in dry wall. So if I'm going to be attaching the bracket to wood instead of drywall, do I use the same scr3ws (without the anchor of course)that came with the TP holder or should I get other scr3ws that you would use in wood?

Posts: 9542 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I would use wood screws that are long enough to go into the wood blocking, but not through it.

Posts: 7157 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd drill the holes and use bolts. The nut and washer would go in the back giving some support.
You could also glue a piece of wood to the inside of the vanity and then drill through for the bolts. I would not use screws in either case.

Posts: 1948 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't have even thought of a bolt and nut. Thanks for the suggestions.

Posts: 9542 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are not using wood on the inside use a large diameter washer.

Posts: 6967 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post