Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Design tips Sign In/Join 
posted
Hey everyone, I just bought my first home and I already know what I plan to do with the bedrooms, but the living room/dining area I can't really figure out what to do. Does anyone have any tips on where I should start?

Posts: 5 | Registered: Sep 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
GamerGirl, I would start at the beginning. Do you have floors and walls? Any furniture?

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Mar 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The walls and floor have all been redone, in fact the entire house has been re done from the foundation up. I don't have any living room or dining room furniture yet, I am keeping an eye out for stuff I like but is also affordable.

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Start with an inspirational print that you will use in one of the public spaces. This print could be a rug, window treatment, occasional chair to name a few. Factor in things like natural/artifical lighting, flooring, the feel you seek, trim, built ins.

Begin a story board of elements in your design plan including pics from magazines, fabric swatches, paint chips, etc. Be sure to address lighting in your plan for each space.

Address one room at a time while projecting onto the next maintaining a degree of flow of scheme in adjoining spaces.

When shopping for future, factor in the following...

Purposes of each space.
Scale of furniture (take careful measurements including doorways)
Existing or created focal points.
Traffic flow.
Vertical space.
Room balance.
Storage.
Contrast.
Pets/children.
Lifestyle.
Quality/durability.
Comfort.

Posts: 18488 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have found some blogs that can help you in furnishing your living room and dining room. Hope they help you:

http://killeenfurniture.com/bl...our-Living-Room.aspx

http://killeenfurniture.com/bl...ture-In-Waco-TX.aspx

Posts: 82 | Location: Killeen, Texas | Registered: Jul 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those are nice sites, but I need to find stuff locally. I live in a small town in TN and I am having a hard time finding mid-century modern anywhere.

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
We have a local shop (in Orlando, Fl) that sells MCM exclusively. So, check Craigslist in different areas around you, especially a larger city not too far to drive to. If the call for the furniture is not that popular in your area, then pieces could pop up on Craigslist for less money than they would sell in larger cities. And most of the time it is not called MCM, so you will have to sift through wood bureaus, tables, chairs, coffee tables, whatever the furniture is, the people selling might not know what it is called.
Good luck in your search!
And congratulations on your new house!
WELCOME to the board!

Posts: 9545 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
I see a lot of mid century style furniture on Craigslist in my area all the time, so try Craigslist in your area, as Mary Ruth suggested. Also, if you have any estate auctions nearby, you can possibly find some there.

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Mar 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention that MCM furniture is smaller in scale, living room chairs and sofas seat lower, which I am sure you already know, so wait on purchasing any other furniture you intend to mix with it, this way you will make your MCM furnishings more integrated in your look.

Our current furniture style tables are at 30" AFF (above finished floor) and I
chair seats at 18" AFF
So, when checking out MCM furniture, even if you are not purchasing it in a shop for instance, sit on it, stand next to pieces so you can become familiar with the sizes.

Picture shows my MCM furniture (back in 2002, stamped Danish on bottom) the week we moved into our house. We were in an apartment first as we were new to the state of Virginia, and looked for a house. This furniture was free to us but in bad condition. I cleaned the wood at least 3 times and oiled it, then had seats and backs reupholstered with new materials. This served as well as we planned our home style. I then gave the furniture to my dear friend from college who was recently married (about 2004) and they were starting out, this durable furniture would take them through their time to find what they wanted, she STILL has it!

Good luck in your search, and remember, the thrill of the hunt is part of the process in having the home YOU want, so take your time and purchase whay YOU love! Smile

_

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Ruth,

MCM furniture

Posts: 9545 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Froo Froo:
Start with an inspirational print that you will use in one of the public spaces. This print could be a rug, window treatment, occasional chair to name a few. Factor in things like natural/artifical lighting, flooring, the feel you seek, trim, built ins.

Begin a story board of elements in your design plan including pics from magazines, fabric swatches, paint chips, etc. Be sure to address lighting in your plan for each space.

Address one room at a time while projecting onto the next maintaining a degree of flow of scheme in adjoining spaces.

When shopping for future, factor in the following...

Purposes of each space.
Scale of furniture (take careful measurements including doorways)
Existing or created focal points.
Traffic flow.
Vertical space.
Room balance.
Storage.
Contrast.
Pets/children.
Lifestyle.
Quality/durability.
Comfort.

A lot of the stuff I have that will probably go into the living and dining space are Japanese style prints that I have been collecting over the years. I have always loved the culture and tried to incorporate it with my gaming style as well and it has been very successful so far.

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
What does "gaming style" mean?

Oh, love the Japanese prints. We were just talking about them!

Posts: 12247 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lady of shallot:
What does "gaming style" mean?

Oh, love the Japanese prints. We were just talking about them!

Mainly I mean my poster's and art prints I have gotten via deviantart.com, they feature characters from some of my favorite video games.