Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bird bath help!! Sign In/Join 
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted
I have the base of a nice ceramic bird bath I got a few years ago. unfortunately the top fell off and shattered.

I would love to put a new bath part on the base but haven't a clue what to use. I thought of a terra cotta plant liner, but they have holes in the center. a garbage can lid seems to be too deep in the center and too light.. how would I attach it?

They don't sell the top and base separate or I would just go buy the dang thing.

Any ideas? not too spendy ok?

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1579 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It looks like Home Depot has bowls. Here's the link to one, but they have others.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Eve..._-NA-_-203643630-_-N

Posts: 2044 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
I just replied on your other post.....

Summers are just this side of hell, but you don't have to shovel sunshine...

Click on the left to show albums
http://s76.photobucket.com/use...brary/?sort=3&page=1

Posts: 7548 | Location: Highland, CA Zone 9b  | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I would look for a plant saucer -- they're about the right depth and I know they have some big ones -- no holes in the center -- they're to keep the water in.

If you can't find one big enough, if you have a farm supply store near you, I'd go there and just look for there may be something that would work.

Usually, it's the other way around -- the base goes before the basin.

Martha

Posts: 6359 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Perhaps you could use a large shallow glass bowl. Birds don't like a bath that is too deep.

This is a glass birdbath totem I made years ago.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12758 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
Wow, joy luck that is a beauty!

html

Posts: 2541 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
but do they use it?? we've had one for years and no takers...

Posts: 8588 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I put a brick in mine -- they'll land on it and sip -- it even is a fairly shallow bird bath.

Martha

Posts: 6359 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our Home Depot sells each part seperate so if the bottom breaks you can replace it and if the top breaks you can replace that. Birds ...especially Robins, Cardinals, and Blue Jays love to splash around while bathing so the top is just deep enough for that but also not too deep for the smaller birds. Our goldfinch are always getting a drink from it and don't seem to have any fear of drowning.

Grace

Posts: 40 | Location: Northeast Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post