Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

curtain help Sign In/Join 
posted
You can see we have a lot of brown in the flooring, couch and chairs. I really want to curtains to both soften it up and liven it up a little. Anyone have any suggestions on colors or curtain types? Do you think I should have the curtain for to the ceiling or just over the lower window?

Can't figure out how to add a link in this editor... pic is her http://imgur.com/nt5tYGL

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tilimil,

Posts: 1 | Registered: Oct 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
Hi tilmil this board isn't working for the pasting pics link you have to save your picture and add as an attachment vs copy and paste!

I like your room...definately use drapes that pick up the hearth surround ivory tone....maybe something wispy and light even LONG wonder if they come that long...from above upper window...for drama or at lease above lower...not ones to close but just to border and soften I like these with your browns and style....PB cameron grommet...

"Nature does not hurry yet everything is accomplished." - Lao Tau
"There is more to life than increasing it's speed." - Gandhi

<>< Hebrews 13:2

Posts: 7436 | Registered: Feb 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
I think leaving top open is best otherwise your eye would go up there instead of grounding the room... Wink

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
If you wish to emphasize the height of the ceiling, assuming the space has other natural light, carry the panels to above the highest window suspended on a decorative rod. If the room is lacking abundant sunlight, keep the upper window bare and use sheers on the lower for privacy and softening. Beef up artificial lighting around the room. Use a well placed mirror to double light.

When budget permits, shop for a lighter area rug (predominately cream background with colorful print) in a larger size to anchor the main grouping and lighten the space. Pull a color or colors from the rug for things like throw pillows, an ottoman or chair, lamp bases, etc.

All of the above will liven and lighten the space.

Posts: 18779 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
oooh and a fake sheepskin throw on the couch arm.... Cool

Picture of Redo Your Room Online
posted Hide Post
I would definitely hang the curtains close to the ceiling to add some drama in your room. I'm not sure what your style and personality is and if you plan on keeping all of the furniture that you have in your room, but I've picked these out for you just to give you a visual since you didn't mention the height of your ceiling. You could also add a second rod with sheer curtains to give you some privacy for when you keep the color curtains open for some light.

Posts: 13 | Location: New York, NY | Registered: Sep 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redo Your Room Online
posted Hide Post
Not sure why the link didn't show in my previous comment, but here it is again.

http://www.pier1.com/Papaya-Ti...d.html?cgid=curtains

Posts: 13 | Location: New York, NY | Registered: Sep 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you thought about sheer grommet panels? A light colored grommet panel with a nice valance to accent the panels. I just bought some cheap kitchen curtains at swags galore. Check there site out and see if you can find something you like.

Best of Luck

James M Cretea

Posts: 10 | Registered: Jan 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Froo froo and redo are on the right track. You do need some lighter colors to lighten the room. The dark colors in the rug and your dark furniture are overpowering and you need something to brighten it up. Both of their suggestions are spot on.

Posts: 15 | Registered: Jan 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post