Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Vinyl pergola kits
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vinyl pergola kits Sign In/Join 
Picture of lenie
posted
Wanting to get an attached vinyl pergola for the rear of my house. Any suggestions for websites to visit? The ones I have looked at are very difficult to look thru. I want a traditional looking pergola with square columns. It will be placed on a wooden deck. Thanks!!!

Posts: 811 | Location: southern | Registered: Nov 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post

Posts: 18443 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post

Posts: 18443 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Size?

Picture of lenie
posted Hide Post
I will need 20' wide and a 12' projection from the house. It will be attached to the house sitting on a wooden deck.

Posts: 811 | Location: southern | Registered: Nov 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
lenie,
You have my aun't nickname! Anyway, the Pergola will be ONLY sturdy if in cement shoes... meaning it has to have posts into the ground and anchored for wind tolerance. Plastic has no weight and so there fore cannot anchor the Pergola. You only mention 'southern' in your profile line shown at the bottom of your post, so I am not sure where you live, but in Florida and anywhere in the path of potential hurricanes, there are limits on what you erect in your yard or exterior so it won't become projectiles in a high wind.

Also, just sitting on a deck is dangerous for guests, if someone falls against a column, it could cause the top to tumble on someone or a child. Or worse... on a grill with a fire going. Read all you can about this type of structure in your area and what constitutes a reason to apply for a permit, and whether this type of Pergola is actually what you need for what you want to use it for.

Also, attached to the house, means there are code issues with that, and you can cause leaking if not done properly. The exterior of the house is on there (shingles, brick, etc.) to keep rain and moisture out of your interior. So, If not properly attached, and if with nails or screws, there are lightening issues.. electrical storms can short out a home... that is why metal fencing is not attached to the house exterior, electrical strikes travel.

So, check with your city, you may find this type of 'temporary' structure is really only meant to be temporary in the summer.

_

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Ruth,

Posts: 9533 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lenie
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mary Ruth....you have given me lots to think about. I am in Kentucky, so there's no hurricane worries, but I have seen lots of google images of these pergolas on wooden decks. I was surely wanting the pergola anchored to the deck. I can't imagine it just sitting on it...haha But we do have a master carpenter to construct this for us, so I hope it all works out. I will keep you all posted. Thanks, again!

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
A few years ago we bought a pergola from Costco -- made from metal -- we are real pleased with it and surprisingly with the high winds on the Kansas prairie it has withstood them. Perhaps because it can go in and around them. It's in our garden -- not on a deck, however.

Martha

Posts: 5433 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
lenie,
DH and I have been in the building industry for years and I always think soundness of structure and liability. With you having a master carpenter at hand, all those issues should be met! And this will insure success and longevity for your project!

We built a Pergola in Virginia in our back yard. Total cost was around $3200 because of the cost of the large bolts and nuts that DH decided to use, we planted a Wisteria plant at one corner intending it to cover the top eventually, and we wanted the Pergola to withstand the vine weight and its tendency to pull apart the pieces if smaller. So you can see where I was coming from with sturdiness. Photo showing the top of the Pergola and posts. (attached photo) you can see the bolts, the 2X8's at top and the 2X10's for supports, we waterproofed the ends and the boards as well as using pre-treated wood. This is not finished, but wanted to show you, it was 12'X12' and 10' high, we intended to build a deck (one step up) at the ground to put table and chairs, a hammock or seating.

New owners of our house love it and got married under this Pergola!

I understand this is heavy duty building, but DH doesn't do things any other way, our joke was that IF a real bad hurricane came by, we would chain ourselves to the Pergola cause it would the only thing standing! LOL

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Ruth,

Pergola top

Posts: 9533 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post