Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Collage of home photos shows progress
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Collage of home photos shows progress Sign In/Join 
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted
Collage of your own home's vignettes

I found this on Pinterest, and it reminded me of how I was organizing my home in Virginia.

What I did was go around my home (as this article and attached photo suggest) and take photos of vignettes. Then when all done,I uploaded all my digital photos to ONE ALBUM and called it My House. (Name it something you will find easily on your computer and make a shortcut to your desktop) I went to my computer and viewed the album. I saw where my 'off track' or unfinished areas were.
I had small vignettes photographed and larger wall photos to see if I was on the right path to my goal in how I wanted my house to look.
My next few posts will demonstrate some of my photos.

Where I saw I got 'wonky' or 'what the??) I changed the vignette and then took another photo.

This exercise gave me more clarity as to the direction I was going in for my home decor. I had a specific plan and wanted to stay on track. When we live in a space, we tend to 'not see' what is around us (such as necessary clutter) this exercise was helpful in noticing where I needed clutter control, and traffic pattern changes. Also saw where I overdid and where I under-did accessories! I purposely over filled my buffet unit because I liked that, then noticed I was over compensating in other areas, so I lighted their load.

Hope this helps someone organize their home. It really helps to visualize as if seen in new light. Speaking of light, I also put on all my mood lighting at night, and walked around the house to see if I had made spots too bright and or too dark (like ignored areas).

Our Virginia house was our socializing house, we worked with many people in the trade, (house & kitchen building and remodeling) so we had lots of networking parties to go to and to host. Since my house would be viewed (and I mean they snooped everywhere and how things were made, etc.) I even had to make my closets all organized and view-ready as if it were a model!!! Talk about pressure!

In our Florida home, it is just for family and friends, and don't think they don't 'snoop' to see how I did things! lol

Source of attached photo:
http://theinspiredroom.net/201.../29/a-style-collage/

collage

Posts: 9754 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
I took this photo to see what guests would see as they walked past the master bedroom. I was working on that bedding and put it on the bed quickly to photograph the 'test' to see if I liked it. I had not ironed anything and it was for a quick shot. For some reason the FINAL shot is lost. This gave me an idea where to tweak the vignette and what to delete. I also needed to know if the lighting was enough for evening.

My assessment was that the bowl on top of the drawers in front of the door... had to go.
Bed skirt (though I knew was existing bedding and would not be on the bed with new bedding) was not to stay.
Tassel on handle?? not sure, and had to make sure large pillows were very straight because without a headboard it was hard to get a straight line-look. The bed was against a panel wall we built to go behind headboard we didn't have yet (had not decided on one yet).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Ruth,

master b

Posts: 9754 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
this photo also from my Virginia house, was my MOOD lighting test.
I loved what up-lighting did for viewing my molding at night and the palm shadows were a great surprise! So, I went and bought a feather finial for the top of my lamp to make more interesting shadows on the ceiling. This was a big hit with my evening guests.

I would also use this lighting around the room, and use the fireplace lit (gas fireplace) to provide a lot of warm lighting and no overhead light on.

This photo helped me to adjust the bright light with the lamp, and get more wattage behind the folding screen in the corner and also add a palm frond behind there for more shadow. The fireplace lighting also helped to make the buffet unit front and texture of woven folding screen show up more detail and color.

up lighting

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
This photo is not a photo that I used for a final photo of my house, it is not staged, and it was a work in progress...

This photo showed one phase in adding greenery in preparation for Christmas decorating before adding reds. I added the red lantern above the bookshelf and other greenery that had to be tweaked.

I had also added the luggage in prep for a Christmas decoration. I felt the room was cluttered and wanted to cut back a bit, but Christmas decor has a way of 'filling' the empty spaces we have, so this was a test.. and process for the living room also in the Virginia house.

I waited a few days then viewed the photos, my assessment I had too much overflow and cut back on volume of faux plants to scale back to go in the room. After Christmas I scaled back to much less greenery.

I had tried the extra dining chairs at an angle, and the looked good in the room but 'wonky' in the photo. Also saw the things inside the china cabinet looked good up close, but from across the room, it looked too full and cluttered, so lots of changes had to be made! I also brought in a wind chime and hung it in the corner because suddenly that corner was too white with nothing there! LOL funny how empty spots show up so clearly on photos!

the throws were also placed differently in the room. The throw at the front of the photo, was 'my' chair and I had long hair then (curly) and the woven chair back would make my hair stuck, so it would hurt when I moved and my hair would get pulled out from my head!!! Who would have thought? So, that throw was soft and kept my sitting there more comfy! I had my hair cut after I fell so that won't happen again for me in any chair! LOL

_

lr greenery

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
finally, a photo of me playing with some of my clocks.
I had gotten a new one (on the right bottom shelf) and of course with each NEW one I brought home, they all had to be moved to fit together. So after playing with it a while and rearranging them a few times, I was 'overdosed' with the sight of them, and had to leave it for a while, so I took the photo to see later.

I ended up leaving this arrangement for a while since I had a large projects at work to worry about.

I knew the bamboo plant had to go.. (or find a good container to put it in to add a shape to the base and make greenery taller perhaps) and perhaps a swap with another clock on another shelf to be moved... you know the drill...

_

clock collection

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
One thing that was easy for me to see as well was that I had my Brown, Black and white color theme going, and the test photos showed where colors were off, or didn't work (such as my gold throw) I had also lived in Fort Lauderdale for 13 yrs before moving to Virginia, and so the greenery HAD to be part of my house, I went with silk plants because of our work schedules where we were out working and socializing at least 14-15 hour days mostly. I only had Sundays off, so my playtime with my 'stuff' was rare and I ENJOYED every minute of it!

I did this photo taking when I was in the mood to check or refine what I had already and to learn more about what to BRING in and what to tweak to keep the look balanced throughout the house.

This exercise helped me to refine and tweak, yes, but also made me MORE AWARE of choices I made and would make in the future for additional purposes or to replace something. This made 'my style' I had chosen for this house work for me and for those who were 'judging' me for my work. It is not MY style defined for infinity... it was MY choice for my Virginia house.

_

posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing these photos. I haven't done something like this, but do notice the background in photos. On some, it is oh no, wish there was another background. Really shows up things. Loved your VA home and hope to see some similar photos of your FL home.

We can all learn from this. Thanks again.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6304 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annett
posted Hide Post
Good idea! I'm always wishing I had a fresh eye to assess my design choices, and a camera is a great option.
Beautiful home, by the way! Smile

Posts: 1433 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Nov 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Mary Ruth the first two photos I had saved to my desk top already!

The clocks I remember because they were the first images of yours that made me aware of you and your talent!

Since I evidently love to use my camera I have a ton of photos of my home and details of same.

Another good idea IMHO is to take views of your spaces that you would not normally photograph. Not to change or tweak things but just because it is fun!

Posts: 12770 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Strings,
What an eye opener! I know when my friend Judith (was JudithVa on this board) started showing me what shows up in photos!!! I didn't realize what images show up on reflective surfaces, what shows in mirrors, and NOT to ware a bright color T-shirt when taking photos of my silver tea set! LOL Dark spots (where you don't see what is there) dust balls, wires hanging.. and my purse on the table with mail i just brought in... you know... STUFF! Pictures last a long time so it is worth getting them staged a bit.

Annett,
Funny how you suddenly see for yourself what is wrong, why you are not satisfied with that vignette! for me it was like a DUH! moment!

los,
LOL you are so kind! Now with digital cameras (no waiting for film to develop, and counting how many you had and waiting to finish the roll... YUCK...

That is a good idea too, to take photos of everything...! I take photos of my furniture and accessories, especially if they are put away so I don't forget, then I put the photo in the corresponding room I will use it in. So, my bedroom folder holds what is in there and what will eventually be used in that room... helps me to match up and CL find I see or get color ideas. This works with fabric photos too.

Thanks for your great responses!
I am now reading about a few Interior Designers and the descriptions of the rooms made me visualize what they must have looked like. I will prepare a post of some of what I have enjoyed.

Once you notice something, you can make a change, it is like you manifest your dreams, cool how our minds work!

buddha

posted Hide Post
Thanks, MR this is a great idea. I liked the idea of the 'mood' pic, not necessarily meant to be literal representation, but a feeling you might be going for.

Posts: 1788 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Mary Ruth,

Thanks for taking the time to post all this information. Your post is well thought out and very detailed with How-To.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9460 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Charles D,
We didn't call it a mood board when I was in college, but a 'materials' board. And it shows all the selections picked.

I thought this exercise would help us all have more confidence in posting photos of our home and our projects. we LOVE TO SEE photos!

Thanks for your contribution!

Picture of Jewel
posted Hide Post
Mary Ruth -- I have that same china buffet as you have (shown on the right side in your photo)! It's interesting to see how you've incorporated it into your living room and what you've placed on top of it. Thanks for the ideas! Smile

Posts: 8200 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Jewel,
That is wonderful! I LOVED that piece! My dining room had so many windows and doorways, there was no room for a buffet unit, so I used it as a console in the living room. I had seen an old house with 'stuff' filling the top of a table, and I never forgot it, so I wanted to try that look in my house. I really enjoyed playing with it! Great for the holidays!

I sold it when we sold the house, I no longer have any of that dining set.

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
MR -- great post. Yes, the camera tells more than the eye and I also take pics of the house and will tweak based on the pictures.

And sometimes in magazines those pictures are totally staged even to the point of not being "usable" spaces because of furniture placement!

Martha

Posts: 6046 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Mary Ruth, what a great idea to get a different perspective of your home and to see it as others might.

I must say that you have quite the talent for putting things together. I really like your vignettes. I may have to "borrow" one or two ideas. Smile

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7468 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Linerhof,
And YES many of my ideas came from a photographer! LOL
Also, I worked so many hours and didn't get to 'play' with things in my house as much as I would have liked to, the photos on my lap top (which was always with me) gave me a chance to review and see while I was waiting for a client, or on breaks, it was often open on a restaurant table, or in the car! Talk about a 'different perspective!

zone9alady,
Borrow all you want! Smile I think it really makes your observations more objective to view in photographs. Let's not get on the topic of photos of me... I HATE viewing those! I am not photogenic (as you are) so I try and avoid those! LOL

posted Hide Post
Just beautiful! Now I want my house to look like yours. When can you come over? :-)

Posts: 6086 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
Mary Ruth, thanks so much for posting this on the vignettes. It's a great idea and will help me to figure out what I'm going to do with my home.

Also, I'm glad to see your pics again of your previous home. It was gorgeous, and you are so talented!

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Mar 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Mary Ruth, I never tire of looking at pics of your old house. So beautiful. What a lovely home. I just LOVE those floors!! I'm sure you miss it, in some ways.
Can you send your husband this way, I need some work done here. LOL

But you know Mary Ruth, I waiting for lots of pictures of your current home. When will get some peeks into it? I can't wait, lol
I'm sure it will be just a beautiful. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lilsophie,

Posts: 4751 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Charcoalsmom,
The Virginia house was sold about 4 yrs ago. We are 3 yrs into living in our Florida house. The first two years in this house we spent building kitchens for my Daughter and son (we all moved into houses that needed work about the same time.. they copied mom with getting a house that needed updating!) We have started our kitchen in the pantry area, and well, at our age, and we are stopping to rest and 'live' in between days of working on the yard and house and have really gotten into cooking! So, that makes us SLOW POKES!

I promise I will post photos when I can.
I do love revisiting the Virginia house in photos! I am so glad you all do too! Smile The new owners LOVE the house and keep in touch with me, they say they are still getting comments about the house even though they have been in it 3 yrs now! They say it is their 'forever' house!

crayon,
I am glad my photos and suggestions can help you in any way! NOW you see why you take your time and make SURE what you do is something you LOVE! Why? Because then you will be in 'love' with your home.. makes sense right? So, don't just 'settle for just anything'.

lilsophie,
I don't tire of seeing the Va house photos, just that I REMEMBER the work! I was the one who drew the design, talked DH through the process of how it would assemble, drew lines on the walls for the molding placement, and after he installed, I sanded, caulked, primed and painted EVERYTHING! DH hates to paint! Of course he gave no attention to furniture or accessories, he rarely commented on anything, just went along with what I was doing.

In this Florida house, he was forced to paint, but I had to cut in (it was NOT FUN and I did get some help) and then stand next to him while he rolled the walls and ceilings, if I left the room, he would stop! LOL that is how much he hates painting! LOL My dad (in his 80's visited me a few times and did some painting as he used to be a house builder and did some painting). He wanted to help.

So, DH is not a good bet to hire for this kind of work, (kind of loses his way on the design if not guided) oh and I have to cook for him so when he is done that large appetite of his... is fed! LOL... he is a sweetie though... and once he applies himself, he does great work, when I saw what he could do with a miter saw... (tight compound miter cuts) I was 'in love' all over again! The possibilities were endless! Of course budget, and commitment to a certain amount of 'detail' had to be established so each room would have the same amount of detail and reference to the rest of the house and the Colonial style of the neighborhood. We knew we would be selling after about 5 yrs, but we ended up living in the house 11 yrs.

I do NOT miss the house, I miss the 'space' storage and larger rooms and the most I miss is the back yard. I did most of the yard work and mowing, DH had long hours and I was the one caring about the look of the yard to be more manicured. I kept the bushes trimmed (we had over 75 trees and shrubs) He took over only after I fell... and could not do it anymore. I made sure that this Florida yard 1/4 acre is smaller and easier to care for, he enjoys looking after this yard here.

Not sure if this Florida house will be 'beautiful' or not, only time will tell...it sure IS in my head (my plans for it!) Smile With smaller rooms, you don't see things from further away to photograph, and editing accessories needs to be done still, the smaller rooms can look cluttered quickly. The Va house was twice this size, we have about 1800 sq ft now, just big enough for the two of us and only ONE story (this is a rectangular ranch style house). We plan to stay here till we can't manage it any longer, 'age in place'.

I am impatient about getting the done so I can enjoy it and play with accessories...! But... patience... patience... I am learning... to go slow and really appreciate the process (the journey). The budget just is not there for expensive materials and furnishings. I am being creative.

Photo shows we did a LOT to change the atmosphere of that living room.. This is the left side of the previous photo of the living room... getting ready for Xmas.

The photo or vignette lesson in this last photo is that the fireplace is so 'black' and dark, later when I would photograph it, I would put a small light directed towards the fireplace to show details. The bomber jacket leather on the ottoman does not show up here in front looks so dark... The light is on overhead making a glare... And the mirror above fireplace mantel has the bookcase clutter showing, so more work needed before this could become a photo to show as an example of my room.
Also remember to turn OFF any ceiling fans, they create a weird whiz look in photos.
_

VaLR after

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Mary Ruth,

Did your VA home have 8' OR 9' ceilings? I wasn't sure. You certainly created a great space with the trim and moldings.

Do you mind sharing how you made the HB with the white panels? Also what light did you use for the up-lighting in the palms?

I love bother features and may need to borrow some ideas. Smile Thanks!

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Beau's Rose,
8' ceilings, this was enhanced by having the walls all one color, I think.

The FREE columns started it all! DH brought them home, homeowner ordered them for 9' ceilings and they looked way too small (thin) in his large room, he could not return them, didn't want them and asked DH if he wanted them, and of course DH said 'my wife will know what to do with these'!
When he brought them home, I said 'you have no idea what you just started'! LOL Then each year before Habitat came to get donations from the builder, he let each Superintendent come and choose what they wanted, my sweet DH called me and because of the (free) columns we had, I said "DENTIL molding!" and there was some in the batch, it was exterior, but that didn't bother me!!! I was thrilled to get free columns and free dentil! And we had enough to do the living room, hallway and dining room!
And since it was a Colonial home I told DH to get the corner blocks to save him from having to do the corners... LOOK what he did! He actually DID more work! (pic attached) And his friend came over and they did that molding over the door to widen it for the column.
BTW... each of the 3 pieces in the crown were put up separately! See the dentil? I caulked around EACH piece!!! and each molding as it went up! DH glued and nail-guned and put screws, that stuff is never coming down!

The panels are just picture frame molding put on the wall.

Sorry HB?

For uplight, I used the plain ole $5 kind from Lowe's, they sell them in the lighting dept. Since I hid them behind things you could not see them. They sell kinds you stick in silk plants and different kinds to fit your needs.
TRICK: it was at Christmas time, and I found the kind you plug in and then have a remote to turn it on and off. So, I found some with same serial number on the back of the package, then put them in the living room and dining room, with one click, I could turn on all the uplights and then one click turn them off! LOVED that, going to do that here too.

Ask away... I should start a new thread for the house... I don't mind answering questions. I was always going to post on my blog... but things got crazy after my fall...

A picture of the crown detail.
Thanks for asking!

LR crown detail

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the pics. The details are gorgeous of the trim.

Sorry but I should of spelled out Headboard. The one in your pics above looks like another great project.

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Beau's Rose... That headboard is made of 4 exterior house shutters! FREE...never used. Was on a brand new home, new homeowners wanted something different and changed out, we got to have them for free. I had DH cut the sides to be equal (since sides were wide, when putting two together it made them too far apart). We turned them on their sides and DH put biscuits to clamp and glue them together. We used them to create this panel.

When you stood in the hallway, the living room was on the right side and when you turned left you could see the Master bedroom and that wall, I wanted that to have the same amount of molding detail so they would match in craftsmanship. I intended to have a headboard in front. Funny... I wanted a sleigh bed, which we bought for this house. The new owners who bought the Va house, brought with them the 'same' sleigh bed I had gotten!

The panels did not go all the way to the floor, and putting them upright didn't work for that situation.
DH made a larger panel at the bottom. I made this room (the way the model showed the house could be used with this as an office so a desk there would cover that area at the bottom and not look out of place, or a console placed there) to be used as office or bedroom (has master closet and bath in it)
Picture attached showing the finished wall with no furniture. My friends LOVED this.. and so does the new homeowner. We also put electrical in the panel wall since it sticks out about 4", we were going to put swing arm lamps on the sides.

sorry playing with photo size....

mb headboard wall

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
here is a photo with dim lighting showing the shadows of the deep reveal in these panels. This was not a final photo as I had not pressed the bedding nor was I finished sewing some of it.

The ceiling shows a faux small soffit where the panels died into. There is a faux box, then crown below and crown above. I had seen it in a nice old Colonial house by the water... and thought it wood add just what I needed in this room to balance ALL the molding we had used in the public rooms on the first floor.

I also put a square on the ceiling around the ceiling fan the size of a king sized bed, and this helped that the ceiling fan was not centered to the bed... and actually visually dwarfed the bed size.

mb headboard and night stand

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
more of that panel detail, we used baseboard and chair rail parts with crown as well to create this soffit detail. the panels were so substantial they would not look good with just plain crown, I had to match the mass of panels with molding to support it visually.

There is a 2X4 framing behind this headboard, it is built like a wall with studs.

MB detail

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Had to show DH"s tight miter cuts and fittings... LOVE that!

molding detail

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mary Ruth,

Great pictures and details. Of course FREE is just the best part. Thank you for sharing. It's gives me inspiration for a re-do of our BR.

Picture of craftybbq
posted Hide Post
Most look at the beautiful molding, not me I am looking at your clocks! lol Don't know what it is that makes me like the different styles so much but I love clocks. I am actually getting ready to hang the shelves in my bedroom to put some of my clocks on them Smile

Posts: 1026 | Registered: Oct 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Thanks Beau's Rose, I still can't believe we did ALL that work!!!

craftybbq,
Clocks!!! I know you will share some photos when you do your shelving! Smile

posted Hide Post
Mary Ruth, one of my nephews builds houses and when we were talking this weekend, he described how he did wainscoting. He uses mdf with a veneer of real wood a/c mdf chips easily. I was surprised as these are million $ houses.

This is his own house and like the shoemakers children, at this time there were no doors on cupboards, which there are now!

posted Hide Post
Instead of a deliberately chosen viewpoint or vignette, sometimes it is interesting to just choose to take a pic of a USUAL view.

This pic is an example of that idea. When sitting in a particular chair on my porch this is the view I see looking to my left. We don't often think of capturing these views on film but they are what we are living with!