Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  What color would you paint this room?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What color would you paint this room? Sign In/Join 
posted
The actual room is really tough to get a good picture of so I hesitate to post it. However, I have posted pics of the bedding, headboard, and woodwork in the room. The room does not get much light - just darker overall - so I want something bright. This is a guest room.

Duvet Set

Posts: 721 | Registered: May 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Headboard fabric (similar to what's pictured in the bedding picture)

posted Hide Post
Woodwork Trim

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Cute bedding. What about the blue I see in the bedding? I think that would look pretty.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
Since there are a lot of colors in the bedding, I'd say anyone of them would work, except white or beige because of the headboard. I'd be partial to the purple, but then again, I love purple.

What else is in the room? Chairs? What about window treatments? Do you already have them?

Wanda

Posts: 4798 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mermaid01
posted Hide Post
Hi, love the colors in your bedding. I think either a light green or a light gray. Don't have specific colors but should be able to find something in your area.

Regards,

Posts: 76 | Registered: Sep 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
Beautiful bedding! Any of the bright colors would work nicely.

Posts: 7969 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craftybbq
posted Hide Post
All the colors in the bedding are nice. I have painted a really pretty olive green and love how it brightened the room. That would look really nice with the woodwork too.

Posts: 1026 | Registered: Oct 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Hi Christy,

Love the colors in the bedding. You have lots of paint choices to choose from there. I would probably go with a blue for the room since they are my favorites.

It is hard to make recommendations ... but look a the sw swatches 6520 Honest Blue or even darker with 6521 Notable Hue. They would provide contrast with the HB if they work with the bedding blue. You can add extra lamp lighting to room also if needed.

Of course you can always paint out a neutral color and then do a color block behind the HB for contrast.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9325 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since the colours seem to be equally distributed in your bedding pattern, you could use any one of them. I would take the bedding in the room, stand back and squint your eyes. Which colour stands out? I know this isn't a scientific method but it works well. The more subdued colours might not appear to coordinate when seen from a distance.

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love the bedding. Love the headboard material.
Your room is going to be GORGEOUS.

My preference is probably for a blue or green on the walls but you can go with almost anything because the colors in the duvet seem to be equally distributed.

Posts: 1127 | Registered: Jan 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
You say the room doesn't get much light, and you want to brighten it.

You have a mid toned color of woodwork.

A medium/to lighter toned headboard.

Your bedding contains lots of colors, but it "reads" as an overall mid toned color.

If I were doing your color layout, I would be looking for a balance of light, medium, and dark tones, and I would be concerned that the room doesn't get much light.

I would keep the value range "close". In other words, I would use the wood tone as the dark, the bedding and the headboard as medium, and so I would be looking for a light tone for the walls. I would use a warm white on the walls that is lighter than the headboard, and that looks nice with the fabric and the wood. I am envisioning a kind of putty-ish, non yellow, white.

Then I would bring out some of the colors from the fabric as accents in the room, particularly in art.

Posts: 7077 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I agree on two important points. One is that you echo any of the colors from the print bedding. Importantly, factor in the room's natural and artifical lighting. I prefer warm colors in spaces that lack abundant light. Paler hue values on the family of colors in the print would help with the lack of lighting while providing a degree of contrast. View all chips in the room's lighting conditions. Factor in the feel you seek too.

Allow maximum light filtration in. Feature artifical lighting all around the room. Use reflective surfaces to increase lighting from mirrors to metals and ceramics.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18394 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is a color that works beautifully in many rooms. It would go well with your bedding.
http://www.benjaminmoore.com/e.../paint-color/parfour

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
bump

Posts: 7969 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Belstone
posted Hide Post
The key to the perfect color is the woodwork...not every color works with wood tones...so try some swatches in the room, in several areas, right next to the wood trim. Blues and greens almost always work with wood tones, but the rusty color could be nice, too. Reds, pinks and purples are tough!

**Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain**

Posts: 3637 | Location: Here, by the grace of God... | Registered: Jan 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lady50
posted Hide Post
My preference would be a pale blue or green, as I find them soothing. If this is your master bedroom, coordinating with the master bath is an important consideration.

~Lady50

Posts: 1447 | Location: Keller, Texas (DFW metroplex) | Registered: Aug 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jovtfam4
posted Hide Post
White would look lovely! I agree with cocok.

Posts: 3363 | Registered: May 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post