Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Monday Morning/Favorite Find 5/6/13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Monday Morning/Favorite Find 5/6/13 Sign In/Join 
Picture of Skyler
posted
Happy Monday All!

Please join us in our Show N' Tell. Share pictures or just tell us about any finds you're very happy about. Items may be old or new and we always love to hear prices.

Unfortunately, no goodies from me so I hope you all have some great ones.

Posts: 10403 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Jun 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I was out and about in the little town 25 miles south of us last week and came home with a few treasures.

An old tea towel -- love birds and of course, my beloved blue and white -- to be used not as a towel but as a tea tray liner.

Martha

Posts: 5443 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Which I already have used as:

tea on Friday afternoon

Martha

Posts: 5443 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I adore botanicals -- and this is an old one.

Martha

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Made even more special by the message on the back:

Martha

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Hi Skyler! I got up early and checked on here two times for the MMF's thread! Getting ready for my second Cataract procedure on Thurs, so this is the EXCITEMENT for me for the week! I will have to check out what others are posting!

Thanks for posting MMF's for us! I really appreciate you doing this every Monday! It is such a special treat!

Linderhof,

LOVING that tea towel! Great design on it.
LOVE it in the tray!

I also like botanicals, that is a soft look for a framed art like this. And 1957 is the year I came to the states (in early summer)!

AS for ME:
I got a call from the CL lady I got my stool from last week or the week before (days are running in together for me lately, all I think about is my 'eye drop' schedule! LOL

She had a daybed to sell. I showed the photo she sent me in an email to my DH and he said a loud YES! Why? Because... he won't have to remake that faux bamboo bed into a daybed (though that is my preference) this daybed is DONE! He is VERY HAPPY to have ONE MORE DIY project OFF the LIST!!! Smile

She sent me a photo of the daybed before putting it on CL because she thought since it was Empire style, I might be interested. It was $150.

Ann had bought it from an Antique store about 5 yrs ago and was told it was at least from 40's. It is solid wood and heavy. It goes together with bolts (can you picture DH smiling?)

So, I will be selling my other headboards and set this bed up. It has room underneath for a trundle with wheels which I have already. I will try and see if the pieces fit when we set it up. IF the trundle fits, then I will make a skirt on front and sides to cover the frame and mattress under the daybed.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Ruth,

sleigh bed

Posts: 9533 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
I also picked up a green w/silver Italian wedding vase. Silver is not cleaned in this photo.

green vase

Posts: 9533 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Ann also gave me as a gift a small antique velvet color box with two doilies inside (shown under the box) and a leaf candle holder. What a sweet lady! She intuitively knew what I liked! Smile

gifts

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
MR -- love the daybed. I'm not overly fond of the "new" daybeds (although they are a great solution for many) but that looks more like what I think a daybed should look like! I'm green (although I would have no place for it!!! LOL!!)

And why is it called "Italian wedding vase"? Never heard that term before.

And wasn't she sweet giving you the lovely velvet box!

Great finds for you.

I had cataract surgery a few years ago and I was surprised at the advances and the fact that I am glasses free (except for reading and even then not all the time!)

Martha

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Linderhof,
I can't wait to set up the daybed. But these days I have to wait on DH to be in the mood to rearrange a room... I can't lift or do any moving, especially now.

What I read about a few that I found on eBay was that they were wedding favors, like you would give them out to guests for them to remember your wedding. It is only 4" tall, so it is a cute little thing! The GREEN color is deep and rich, like the velvet on the box.

Yes, my eyesight has improved, but will continue to as swelling goes down and it heals more. This right eye has gone through a lot for me to keep my eyesight in that eye, so I am grateful for ANYTHING I get! I already see more crisp after the surgery and also see blue more intensely. I like that!

Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
OMG on the daybed!!! That is beautiful!!!

It's a good thing that i dont' have a place for glass ware, because i'd have lots and lots and lots of it!

I have a couple pictures - My mom sold her house - in 3 days!!! Woo Hoo Ma!! I got some of her furniture and my brother brought them to me yesterday.

This was my grandpa's chair - Ma had it reupholstered - in my fav color!! How kind of her!! It is in my office

~~~becca~~~~

Posts: 5553 | Location: dayton ohio | Registered: Jul 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
She has this victorian couch & chair. I was never a fan of the green really, but I think w/ my butterscotch color walls, it'll look nice. This summer, I'll make new curtains in a cream color damask

~~~becca~~~~

Posts: 5553 | Location: dayton ohio | Registered: Jul 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
here's the couch - I'm playing w/ pillows.

If the couch & chair ever comes up missing, i'm heading to Christie and Donnie's first to see if it's down there!

~~~becca~~~~

Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Wow - some serious finds here this week! Everything is fantastic!

My pocket money went towards dental surgery this week - my Pomeranian had to have a cleaning and ended up losing 3 teeth. The same 3 teeth my sheltie had pulled not to long ago....

This is a find from a week or so ago that I didn't share at the time. A large hobby lobby basket to go on top of a chest in the dining room and two small metal lampshade frames. Am now looking for some neat rustic lamps for a buffet set up.

Posts: 3007 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Skyler
posted Hide Post
Didn't mean to post and run! Busy days at my house trying to get ready to the Mother's Day barbecue this Sunday....wow, so much to do.

Just wanted to pop in and say I love all this weeks finds. Wow, some real gems. Thanks to everyone who shared.

Mary Ruth, ya sometimes it's more like Monday Afternoon Finds Smile It's tough being on the West Coast. DH has later mornings now so I don't get a chance at the computer until later than before. BTW, gorgeous daybed!

Posts: 10403 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Jun 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
any suggestions for a train hand towel a.t. and santa fe? not exactly pristine, 2 tiny holes...

Posts: 8486 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
OOAL....my grandparents had 4 pieces that matched your marble top coffee table. They got them in the early 1950's , and I still see them in furniture stores today!

Your new furniture is beautiful! Lucky you!

Posts: 3044 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wasn't able to get by here yesterday, so it was a nice treat to see all of the goodies today. I like your little tea towel, Linderhof, and the inscription on the botanical is just the sort of touch that makes a piece special. I'm cracking up at the name though...Kornie Kactus Klamer...kan that be korrekt?

Nice daybed and vase, Mary Ruth! I love that your husband's criteria for the purchase was "is it easily assembled?"

Out on a Limb, you really received some gorgeous piece and how nice that your mother had the chair reupholstered.

Junk Collector, Sorry to hear about your dog's dental problems...poor baby. You found a nice basket, though. I can imagine some interesting arrangements on it.

I bought some all-weather wicker pieces for my front courtyard from Costco. I've been wanting some comfortable furniture out there, but didn't want to spend the money for the really good stuff. No pictures, sorry, but it's made so that it's actually fairly comfortable without the cushions on it, a prime requirement for me for outdoor furniture. I don't mind pulling the cushions out when I'm having guests, but I don't want to do it every time I go out there to sit for a few minutes.

Posts: 1738 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
out on a limb,
Thanks! It will be an easy set up, instead of waiting until DH has time to reconstruct one! LOL

I would have a lot of glassware too! I could fill a whole wall of cabinets with dishes and glassware! That is WHY I am not building that much storage! LOL

Congrats to your mom for selling her house! The houses are moving a bit faster around here too. I hope the economy picks up!

You got some of her furniture! Good for you! You are so lucky to have a brother-delivery person!!! And your mother had it reupholstered for you? Even better!

I like that green set of furniture. I like that Empire style of the lines on it. I am a green fan so I think they look great! Is this now the room in your house? (the photo of the two chairs and sofa?)

junk collector,
My pocket money and plus.. went to medical.. as it has been for a few years now... ! LOL

That seems like an interesting project! You can really customize the vignette!

Skyler,
How funny that 'Mother's Day' for most of us... Means WE have to do a lot of prep or work for it! LOL

sjf,
Are you referring to 'mending' a hand towel?

I don't mind waiting for you, just got restless waiting to see what everyone got! LOL

Gracie,
Ya that is his 'motto' lately. We have had a health scare with him this past year, and he has really slowed down. So, I MUST curtail my To Do list and help him to relax more at home.

I hear you on the cushions! I also don't want to mess with all the cushions all the time. I would only use them when having guests where we would be sitting for a while. I also know that DH would forget to bring them in, and then we would have to dry them out. In Florida here we can get some real quick flash rain storms. It will be torrential downpour in just a few minutes and then stop after about 10-15 minutes, makes everything wet and blown around in the yard. The month this happens the most is in June (coming up soon) and that is also the time that the weather is great for sitting outside.