Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  ready for Downton Abbey?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ready for Downton Abbey? Sign In/Join 
Picture of lady of shallot
posted
DH came in from a walk and informed me he is going to wear his tux to view DA tonight. It is so old he might just look like he belongs!

I heard of a woman who dressed to watch Princess Diana's funeral, but have never known of anyone to dress to watch a t.v. drama

Posts: 12145 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paintlady
posted Hide Post
I think that sounds like a party! Enjoy.

I have a question. I've never watched Downton Abbey. I've heard great things about the show. If I started watching tonight, would I be able to make sense of it all and appreciate it if I haven't seen the previous season episodes? Is it one of those series that you really need to watch from the beginning to bring you up to speed before watching the current episodes? I don't want to ruin it for myself. Thanks for the advice and opinion. And what station does it come on and the time EST?

Posts: 8997 | Registered: Jul 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Christmas Candy
posted Hide Post
LOS, I have heard of people hosting Oscar parties and dressing up for it.
Of course, sports fans dress for the games!!
I think it is fab that your DH:
A. watches Downton Abbey
B. wants to wear his tux
C. owns a tux

PL, here it is on the local PBS station and is supposed to be on at 8:00 PM Mountain time.
If you have cable, you could probably do a search for shows and it will give you the channel and show time.

Enjoy,
Candy

Posts: 1245 | Location: CO | Registered: Dec 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Check your local PBS station. I haven't followed the series, but you can find programs on demand thru your cable plan, Netflix, online, etc. So catching up on a series these days is easy.

PBS also ran a series on Castles of England and it featured the home used in the program. WOW!

LOS - that sounds like fun!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: junk collector,

Posts: 2962 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started watching on Season 3 and a friend would answer any questions I had. This fall our local PBS ran the first 3 seasons again, so I did understand better. They also give a few highlights of previous show.

You could record Season 4 and watch after you watch the other seasons. Your public library may have them. Think you can watch on line also.

During the fundraisers for local PBS they had a preview party last night with prizes for costumes, silent auction, trivia on DA. Food and drinks. They also showed the first hour of tonight's episode. Paper had some good pix of those in dressed up in 20s inspired outfits.

I have really enjoyed the series. Maggie Smith is a delight in it. When they put her with Shirley McClaine pure magic.

So it will be up to you to decide if you want to start now. Will answer any questions if I can for you if you start now. Understand that there will be a Season 5.

Before tonight's show, there will be a show on the castle featured in DA. It's on now.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Strings,

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6173 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Secrets of Highclere Castle is on at 7:00 pm Mountain time on our local PBS this evening. Probably a repeat shown for the benefit of Downton fans. Check your local listing for it. The Secrets series itself is great. Downtown fans will enjoy this.

Posts: 2962 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paintlady
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. I have found that I can get all the past season episodes on Demand. So now to decide what to do about tonight. I really want to see what this show is like. My MIL LOVES it! Enjoy the new season.

Posts: 8997 | Registered: Jul 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
We're ready -- and I will put the kettle on and brew my PG Tips.

Martha

Posts: 5403 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just couldn't get "into" Downton Abbey last night and have wondered if it were because I was watching away from home. I am much more comfortable watching t.v. at home in my own nest.
Maybe I will enjoy it more on my 2nd and 3rd watching. Sure hope so. I was really looking forward to the beginning of Season 4 and was disappointed. Seemed like the scenes kept changing with no depth to any of them.

What were YOUR reactions to the opening of Season 4?

Posts: 1127 | Registered: Jan 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was disappointed about the story line with Carson. Seemed to be just an afterthought.

Posts: 301 | Registered: Jun 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was disappointed about the story line with Carson. Seemed to be just an afterthought.

DH and I totally agree. The being in vaudeville doesn't seem to suit his character and personality. Also I think you must work your way up the ranks from footman etc to butler. Seems he would not have had time.

Rita, you could catch up. When it first aired, we came into the current situation and that is what you would be doing. You can catch up. There are some characters that are no longer with the show, but that too can be learned.

p.s. poor DH could not remember how to tie the bow tie, had to reeducate himself via You Tube!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lady of shallot,

Posts: 12145 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Christmas Candy:

I think it is fab that your DH:
A. watches Downton Abbey
B. wants to wear his tux
C. owns a tux

Your DH is looking dapper LOS!

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good to see you back Susan Bradford Kent.
You have been MISSED!!!!

Posts: 1127 | Registered: Jan 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But,LoS, Shirley MacClaine said Matthew looked like a Chicago gangster at a barbecue in his tux, and Maggie Smith commented that he was wearing his "play clothes"! Smile

Re: the first episode of this season. I attributed the choppiness to the need to introduce a few new storylines to the audience. I was surprised that the evil nanny was busted so soon. BTW, does anyone else think that we haven't seen the last of the disfigured soldier claiming to be the rightful heir?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sms29s66,

Posts: 3239 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
The way I saw the secondary plot with Carson and Grigg was to reinforce the notion of "moving on" with past hurts -- the same advice Carson gave to Mary as she deals with her grief. Hence the train scene and knowing he will never see Griggs again or the woman whom Grigg ran off with. Also, it was a bit of a hokey plot device to help Mrs. Crawley deal with her grief by encouraging her to do "good works," in rescuing Griggs.

On a lighter note, did you catch the color of Mary's dress, as she arrives at the meeting of the tenant farmers? She took off her black mourning clothes and wore a stunning dress in radiant orchid purple. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: aychihuahua,

Posts: 5163 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see I'm going to have to watch this again. My daughter is raving over Edith's peacock dress in the restaurant scene. I MUST stop cross stitching during Downton Abbey!!!!!

Posts: 3239 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post