Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Putting glass in a frame....Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Putting glass in a frame....Question Sign In/Join 
Picture of lilsophie
posted
I have some large frames, that I am changing out the artwork.
I am putting fabric in the frames behind glass.
Do I have to use Non Reflective Glass???
Because I have called a few glass companies and they don't carry it...Grrrr
Can I just use regular glass?
I thought this would be an easy find...

When you buy artwork in the stores. Is the glass always non reflective??

Could I also get away with not even using glass. I could put the fabric around the cardboard and putting it in the frames. Thoughts???
I have read that non glare glass is pricy....sigh

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lilsophie,

Posts: 4708 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Lil sophie, we have a houseful of framed works of art and we never use non-reflective glass. Personally I don't like the way it looks and my DH evidently does not feel it is necessary for his many paintings etc.

Do you mean the fabric is what you are framing or is it the background to a piece of art.

Why do you think you have to use non-reflective glass?

My frame shop owning friend does carry it but I don't know how many customers ask for it.

Posts: 12630 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info LOS I just thought you had to use it in frames. Guess not, good to know...Yay
I am actually framing fabric. I have seen it done, with cute fabric. So I'm giving it a try.
Do I go to a glass store to get the glass? Or like a Michaels type of store?

That pic is so cute Smile

Posts: 4708 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Anti reflective or anti glare glass is often used when artwork hangs in brightly lit/daylight conditions, where glare can be an issue when viewing. If one double or triple mats a drawing or painting, it can also cause a blurred effect that can be annoying to the viewer.

It is more costly, so decorative artwork in stores often do not have it in their framed art pieces.

The larger glass shops normally carry it, as well as frame shops. But for what you are describing, I would just use regular glass.

Posts: 9615 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
No, the glass in all pics I buy are not all NRG. I think it is a personal choice.

I bought a framed pic from the artist years ago and I think she used some sort of plexiglass as it is very light and since it is large it makes it so easy to hang. I love it. This is just my personal opinion.......Smile

Posts: 7984 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Glass shops are probably going to be less costly than frame shops or michaels, especially for custom cut sizes. Tell them your actual inside frame size (where the glass goes), and they will cut it just a bit smaller to ensure a good fit.

Posts: 9615 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Yay thank you conrad. Happy to hear I dont have to buy that kind of glass. I don't want to pay the price for Smile

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
I can bring the frames to the frame shop. They will measure for me, correct?? LOL

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
They will be happy to measure for you. Smile

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
I can't wait to get this project done. I'm so excited to see how it turns out.
I hope it turns out as cute as I think it will.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Do I go to a glass store to get the glass? Or like a Michaels type of store?

No, Lilsophie, get the glass at a hardware store. By far the least expensive. Maybe someone else has already told you this.

Unless I need a very special cut I buy all my glass there even though my frame shop friend would give me a discount. It would not be as little as a hardware store!

Do take your frame with you. If you just give them the measurements and it doesn't fit you will be stuck. With the frame, they make sure it fits.

I am interested to see your project!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lady of shallot,

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
If you have several large frames, do make some phone calls for the best pricing giving them approximate sizes.

My personal experience is glass shops are less expensive and the quality and accuracy of the cuts are better than any of our local hardware chains. Plus you can often get it cut the same time you bring in the measurements or frames. Saves a trip, in other words.

And as was pointed out above, a thin plexiglass may work equally as well for your framing situation and be lighter weight, if that matters.

Good luck with your project.

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
I went to our local glass shop, and got the glass for the frames. I took the frames with me, so the glass got cut to the exact size.
Next step cutting the fabric to the exact size that I need. Hopefully will have the project finished by tomorrow. Hope I like it. lol

posted Hide Post
I see you have the glass for your frames but for future reference, you do not have to put glass over everything you put in a frame. I prefer no glass particularly with textiles so the texture shows.

Posts: 7036 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by metwo:
I see you have the glass for your frames but for future reference, you do not have to put glass over everything you put in a frame. I prefer no glass particularly with textiles so the texture shows.

Hmmm, maybe I should have tried it without the glass first, to see what it looked like.

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
I used what the frame shop called 'knock down' glass for the pictures hung on walls where you can't see the print because of glare. I had an East facing wall of windows opposite the print on the wall. I could not see if I was in the room! And at night, the lamp made the glare in the glass also. I had to move around to get to a spot to see it, got knock down glass (at a frame shop) and the glare was gone. Not necessary in every situation like was mentioned.

Posts: 9723 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I see you have the glass for your frames but for future reference, you do not have to put glass over everything you put in a frame.

Oh also I forgot to say that my framing friend always puts spacers between the frame and the glass so the glass does not actually touch the fabric. But if you are just doing this for color etc with not valuable or antique fabric, it wouldn't hurt it to touch the glass/plexiglass