Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Not sure if this is a "decor" question or "storage and cleaning"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not sure if this is a "decor" question or "storage and cleaning" Sign In/Join 
Picture of junk collector
posted
so I'll post here. Even after that massive kitchen re-do last fall, I find that there isn't enough storage space. We reconfigured and replaced rather than any sort of expansion. And I am a horrible clutter bug (I'm short and it wreaks havoc on my organizing!)

At any rate, I told DH we need either a hutch or a buffet or storage piece for the DR. We've browsed CL so that we could at least agree on basic style (vintage). My question is what do you have - single piece buffet or a large hutch and how do you use it? As a showcase for pretty dishes, storage for things that aren't everyday? Correspondence and stationary? Is it an upcycled dresser with drawers or a traditional buffet?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: junk collector,

Posts: 3235 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
We have a Duncan Phyfe sideboard that stores silver and linen. It's up on legs so there is not all that much storage. Two small drawers, two large drawers and a door.

But, to me, when you get a glassed in hutch type piece (or any type of hutch type piece) there is two ways to use it -- prettily so that a plate stands in the back, the salad, dessert, and cup and saucer are standing in front and perhaps the glassware by the side. It's pretty but . . . you can perhaps only get 6 place settings in that way. Then you can do like you do in the kitchen cabinets, all dinner plates stacked, all salad plates stacked, etc. All of your things would probably fit but it isn't as pretty (IMO)!

So . . . we have two pieces -- a Victorian Armoire that we put extra shelves in and stores all of our glassware and our china plates and Christmas plates and cups and saucers and a Chinese piece with solid doors that store extra silver serving pieces and all of my platters and bowls PLUS my Waterford glassware.

It's neat enough, but IMO not "show perfect" and I am glad in both pieces that the doors are solid and don't show the stuff that's inside!

I'll see if I can find a pic to post.

Martha

Posts: 5803 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
OK, this is not a suggestion to do as I've done! LOL Going way back over 30 years ago I only had a buffet with separate hutch on top. This plus my kitchen cupboards held all my dishes. Then I got the 'dish addiction' so needed more storage space. Fast forward to today and I have 3 buffet/hutches and 3 sideboards! I have edited a lot of collections and gotten rid of many dishes and home decor accessories that I stored in them so am *considering* selling 2 of the buffet hutches.

All 3 of the hutches have glass in the doors so I arrange dishes and other accessories decoratively in them. The two most recently acquired are painted white. One that is in a guest room has a few books as well. It's all stuff that is not used every day altho there is transferware in my breakfast room hutch that I use occasionally. The sideboards hold dishes, linens, accessories, and one has all of my taper candles in the drawer. All of these sideboards are old and one was beyond refinishing when I bought it so DH painted it black to match my kitchen cabinets and red inside. It's my favorite altho has the least monetary value.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12714 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Here is a pic with the Asian cabinet on the left and the armoire on the right.

Martha

Posts: 5803 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Our dining room china cabinet has a separate glass door upper for display and drawers and doors beneath. I also have a wine table that holds bottles beneath and serves as a buffet on top. It also has two shallow drawers.

Posts: 18648 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
My question is what do you have - single piece buffet or a large hutch and how do you use it?

My d.r. has too much furniture in it. We have my grandmother's desk, an oak bookcase, a china cabinet with drawers and cupboard space and the remnant of the house's original built in china closet with drawers beneath.

this is the free standing china closet. I store my antique dishes here and linens in the four drawers beneath. More utilitarian things are stored in the cabinets on either side of the drawers and also the rest of the china set. the three drawers hold part of my huge collection of silver plate (and some sterling)

Junk Collector, my DD has a corner china closet in her d.r. Usually she keeps her collection of pink transferware in it. But at Christmas she takes that all out and replaces it with her Spode Xmas china. I think she keeps the alternate china down below in the solid doored space.

Maybe a desk would serve as your next storage space?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lady of shallot,

Posts: 12511 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lisa Ann
posted Hide Post
I have plenty of storage place now with our new house and in fact have some empty cabinets but in our other house I didn't have much. One thing I love are baskets and those are great for storage. I have several picnic baskets and those are really great plus they can be stacked if they have their lids. I have a beautiful display of picnic baskets and each one holds some of my seasonal treasures/dishes. They are decor unto themselves plus storage. Also I have a hoosier cabinet and the bottom is great for storing things I don't use every day.

I am what I am because He is I AM!!!

Posts: 5710 | Registered: Jun 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow - thanks everyone!

My first step is to de-clutter as much as I can. It is the large "once a year" pieces that get to me Frown You know the cookie press you use only at the holidays, the platters, etc. Not stuff you want to toss but take up the most space. Valuable real estate is used by those things.

Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
I keep the lesser used stuff on shelves in the garage. All of my canning equipment and jars, most of the bakeware because I rarely bake anymore, large kettles, etc.

Posts: 4449 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Junk collector: I hang a lot of my platters!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lady of shallot:
Junk collector: I hang a lot of my platters!

But mine aren't that pretty! LOL!

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Do donate what you haven't used in a while.

Posts: 18648 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
we have a china cabinet that's on it's last legs! (or would if it had some!)since we don't have a dr and only an eat-in kitchen, it holds this collected, or from our respective parents...all of which the kids don't want! so all these pretties sit there behind glass, gathering dust...the location is actually perfect...and I want to have a built-in but not look too kitchen? now if you like to display your china, the i'd get a cabinet...most have 2-3 shelves (and mine has a light)but if it's to hide clutter, a buffet with a serving top seems good...

Posts: 8523 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Froo Froo:
Do donate what you haven't used in a while.

I can't even number the items we've donated and having spent this morning cleaning I can't believe how much more there is to go to BBBS or SA or whoever will take it. Where does it all come from?

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I only have one set of china, but it is service for 30, so storage is tricky. I use this french armoire in my living room to store it. The doors are mirrored, as I stuff and cram things in here, and it definitely is not for show. I am kind of cringing as I show you the open door, but it is all in the name of honesty. I had extra shelves made so I can get maximum stuff in there.

Posts: 7161 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
junk collector,
Your topic is 'right on' for me today. My son and daughter came up for the day on Saturday (they live only a 2 1/2 hr drive South from me) and this time I had more stuff unpacked and left out (sneaky me). I had a huge collection of wooden bowls. I love well made things made of wood. I found them at the neighborhood thrift store and would pick them up or a quarter! I only bought those that didn't look used.. and cleaned them and kept them oiled. I used them for my parties in the Virginia house. Well, I won't be entertaining at 35 and 55 number of guests anymore... IF I do, it will be a catered and I will have HELP! LOL

What I had in the Virginia house was two built ins on either side of a window. The top cabinets were 12" deep and 14" deep, the bottom cabinets included drawers. I did NOT have any of those cabinets full, even with 4 sets of dishes and glassware plus extras! The new owner tells me she keeps shopping for stuff and it is still NOT more than half full! LOL

So, in this house we are doing built-ins again, I want to store my dishes in solid door cupboards so that they are not displayed. I will be able to store more and easily this way without all the arm movements I would need to display them. My left hand is not responding the way my right hand does, and lately I have been knocking over things when I go to reach for a glass or cup, so a delicate display is NOT a good idea with me! LOL

We could do this design again, but with the kitchen (in this house) right across the room, I don't want it to look too much like an extension of the kitchen. I think I want tall cabinets with long solid doors, not sure yet. Gee looking at these again, I realize I would have more counter space with this style (attached photo from our Virginia house dining cabinets we made), would give me a place to set dessert, or coffee pot, or what ever we want to clear from the table quickly... hummmm this got me thinking again about the dining area!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Ruth,

china cabinets

Posts: 9703 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like the idea of a built in. We plan on removing the dining room/kitchen wall to open the space. We wanted to do that with the kitchen remodel but then we would have had to replace ALL the flooring. Mid cent mod pieces would fit best for stand alone furniture, but DH really dislikes it. The irony being the house is totally mid cent mod...

Would also love a linen press or armoire, but ceiling height is only eight feet so it could be overwhelming.

I did find an attractive piece at the flea this weekend, but the drawers were too small, so I continue to search!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: junk collector,

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
MR -- I have thought a long time about replacing those three pieces (the Asian cabinet, the Armoire and the old table in the middle) with built ins painted white like the woodwork. Glass doors above, sold below, a surface to serve on in the middle and more doors below that.

But . . . I do like my antiques and I'm sure DH would never go for that. My chance was when we first moved in and I missed it!

But I adore yours! They look fantastic and have me dreaming that dream again!

Martha

posted Hide Post
What I absolutely love in Mary Ruth's former d.r. is that floor. I would never have thought of that (but then have never had a floor laid!)

I think Meldin also has done something similar to her floors!

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Martha,
Thanks, that extra serving counter really won it for me.. making me rethink my idea for here too, was not going to have a counter in the plan, but it NOW seems so handy! I do love antiques too, AND have been searching for 2 yrs for something I could use, but would need a pair, that is harder to find!

Emily,
The floor boards outside the square under the table are going the right direction for floor joists. But we checked with framers and floor man (worked for same builder as DH did) and for that small amount of space, it was OK to go with the floor joists. We did have a good subfloor so we could do this. In an old house, that might have caused those to wave over time having the floor higher where the joists were.

We were eventually going to install Plantation shutters but never got to that part.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Ruth,

Posts: 9703 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post