Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Removing corner tub - what to put in its place? Pictures added.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Removing corner tub - what to put in its place? Pictures added. Sign In/Join 
Picture of Nana J
posted
We are planning to redo our master bath. The room is actually too large, approx. 14 X 17. We are replacing everything - flooring, vanities, lights, shower. We are also removing the large corner tub which has two windows above it. Now I don't know what to do with that large corner. Since the windows are there, I am unable to put anything there that has much height. I'm hoping that someone here will have an idea.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nana J,

Posts: 795 | Location: KY | Registered: Jun 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
That is one big bathroom. How nice! What about some type of low, open shelving for towels, etc. Or maybe some seating, like a bench to sit to do some grooming. I end up sitting on the side of my tub sometimes and could really benefit from having some more comfortable seating.

Or even a few nice plants that love the humidity that a bathroom provides.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: crayon,

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Mar 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nana J
posted Hide Post
I never thought I would complain about having a bathroom that is too big! I have considered some type of shelving/cabinets for storage but just can't picture in my mind what I want. The tile lady yesterday did suggest some type of sitting area but I'm not sure that would get used.

Posts: 795 | Location: KY | Registered: Jun 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Are you planning on replacing the tub or did yOu relocate one in your design plan? Have, you considered a free standing tub in that corner on the diagonal? If not a tub, how about a corner vanity with vanity top mirror? A chandy could be suspended above it. Personally, I wish I had room in my bath remodel plan for one. My bathroom is not as large as yours, but I will soon have a free standing tub installed and can't wait to see it in place under a single window with skylight above it. Sconces will flank my window.

Posts: 18670 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
Nana, maybe if you wait until the rest of the bathroom is complete, you will have a better idea of what you want. Or is it something you want built in and therefore need to make a decision on now?

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Mar 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can either place a dresser in the corner or accent cabinets. They would look great. You can check out this site for some great selection.

http://killeenfurniture.com/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: denawills,

Posts: 93 | Location: Killeen, Texas | Registered: Jul 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nana J
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies. I have a tub in the second bath, and really don't want one in this one. The corner windows prevent using a dressing table with mirror in this place. I have considered a chandelier, just not sure how to incorporate it into the space.

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
How low are the windows on the 2walls? If not super low, a corner shaped dressing table with tabletop mirror should work fine.

Posts: 18670 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
This is the type of mirror I had in mind tho they come in a variety of sizes and finishes.

http://www.furniturestage.com/...-vanity#.Ukcd33y9KK0

Picture of Nana J
posted Hide Post
Froo, I love that mirror. The bottom of the windows is only 46 inches from the floor, so I don't see how I can use anything like that. I would love for the cabinet/whatever to match the vanities but maybe I could hold off on them until the rest of the bath is finished.

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
it is really hard to give an opinion without any kind of picture or visual. From what you said I would be careful to not have it look like something is missing - like the tub. Leaving an oddly empty space might look like the room wasn't planned well. You might want to center the vanity on the wall, or enlarge the shower, or use some of the space to enclose the toilet. Maybe if you posted a photo it would be easier to help you.

Posts: 7186 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nana J
posted Hide Post
Here is the area of the bathroom that is the difficult spot. The shower on the right will be removed and replaced with larger tiled one. The white cabinet will be removed. We have started the process several times since we moved into this house but my inability to plan the space has always caused me to just leave it as is.

Picture of Nana J
posted Hide Post
The tub...

Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
It looks like a very pretty room! It is a large room but seems that there is too much furniture. It is good that you are removing the cabinet by the shower. It seems to be too close.

Perhaps you can find a corner shaped piece to go under the windows. I would opt for drawers for storage, and the top could be a handy surface. I often see corner desks on CL. You could find one and paint it white. It could function as a vanity.

Posts: 3155 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Oh, I think a vanity would go in there really well -- the mirror could be on that bit of space between the windows. It doesn't have to be a large mirror -- a small one would work.

I have a regular size window in my dressing room and my dressing table and mirror sit in front of it.

Martha

Posts: 5889 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
DEFINITELY doable! My corner vanity suggestion with vanity topped mirror will fit the space nicely. I pictured larger windows when you initially were reluctant to go with the idea. This option utilizes the space and will affording you a useful amenity. BTW, the makeup vanity need not be custom cabinetry. Corner vanities are readily available via the Net and will save you money. A vanity stool will complete this area.

Picture of busyjo
posted Hide Post
I am going to suggest that you have a L shaped storage unit built that runs across to where the right edge of the white wicker cabinet is. I would have an knee hole area, where that cabinet is, with the mirror above.
The extra storage under the windows could have a cushion on top to sit on while applying lotion or putting on shoes. The extra storage under the windows would probably hold everything in that cabinet.

Posts: 1633 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: Apr 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
OK, I found your other post that you mentioned with the pics in it, so I'm going to pop it back up to the top.

Since this room has been bugging you for 8 years and we have knowledgeable people around here, don't throw in the towel on it yet. Now that I see the windows in question, I wouldn't put a shower there, what's next?

Is it possible to make a floor plan of the room and put the measurements on it for all of the existing functional elements? By that I mean, where the toilet, sink, tub, shower and all associated plumbing connections, the position of the outlets, any doors that are staying, the windows that you'll be keeping, if there are little walls (like where your existing shower is) and whether they are necessary for holding up the roof.

How wide are the doors, windows, etc.

Is this room on the first or second floor?

Is there a crawl space or basement below this room or is another room below it?

Can you post pics of the other side of the room?

If you can do that, it would help with trying to figure out some other options. Sometimes it just takes fresh pairs of eyes!

This is an example of the kind of information to collect for your room. Of course this one was done in software, but by hand is all that's needed. The red things are the outlets, yellow thing by the sink is a light, the block above the toilet is an exhaust fan, the blue squares with the arrows are heat/air ducts, the S things are where the light switches are, The big red thing is a fireplace, there thing to the right of the toilet is a window, and of course there's a door. Shower, sink and toilet you can probably figure out. This was actually one of the baths at Pecan Place that needed a rehab which is why I still have the diagram.

Remember, it doesn't have to be fancy. Scan or photo and post and we'll have a look at it.

Christie

Posts: 4031 | Location: West TN, Zone 7a | Registered: Jan 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by busyjo:
I am going to suggest that you have a L shaped storage unit built that runs across to where the right edge of the white wicker cabinet is. I would have an knee hole area, where that cabinet is, with the mirror above.
The extra storage under the windows could have a cushion on top to sit on while applying lotion or putting on shoes. The extra storage under the windows would probably hold everything in that cabinet.

This is exactly what I was thinking and got down here and see that you are also!

Or instead of the kneehole/bench combo, perhaps a window seat with cushion and drawers in the bottom for storage that the white cabinet usually contains?

Posts: 3267 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nana J
posted Hide Post
This is a VERY rough sketch of the room. It is on the first floor with crawl space. All outlets, switches, etc. can be moved if necessary. The wall beside the present shower can be moved/or completely eliminated. The plumbing for the current shower is in that wall but have already been cleared to move that. Drains and water lines are, of course, present for the tub so they can be used or eliminated.

Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
Which wall is 14' and which wall is 17'? I'm assuming the door to the room is next to the closet. Does the door swing toward the closet or toward the vanity when it is open?

Do you know how to use MSPaint? It should be in your Program Accessories if you are using Windows.

Christie

Posts: 4031 | Location: West TN, Zone 7a | Registered: Jan 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nana J
posted Hide Post
Christie, I'm not sure if this is any better but will try. The bedroom is to the left of the bath, down short "hall" with pocket door there. The closet door opens to the inside of the closet.
Sorry for my lack of computer skills.

Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
Nana, I'm sorry, I didn't mean for you to draw it out necessarily. I was just asking to see if you were familiar and/or comfortable using it.

Since we can't see your room, walk around it, and take measurements, I'm trying to get an idea of the entire space you have to work with and any obstacles that might be involved. You will be keeping the closet I assume?

Did I understand that this will be an entire room redo? Will you be keeping any of the existing fixtures like the vanity and commode? If so, what are the dimensions of the vanity and what type of top does it have? Will you be replacing the top? Is the commode pretty standard of is it a specialty item that is larger in scale than the run of the mill item? Showers units are kind of hard to reuse so I'm assuming this and the tub will be removed from the room? You mentioned a tile lady, I believe so the floor will also be entirely replaced?

Ok, I drew up a rough plan based on your drawing. Can you check that the measurements in black are correct? The next thing, if you will and have the time, is can you get measurements for all the lines in red? When that is done, I'll put them into my rough drawing so that we can get a scale drawing for your room.

Understand that this is a process and can take time, but since it's been 8 years, I figure a few days or so won't be so bad. I'll have more questions about other things later, but it's important to focus on the basics before becoming distracted by the fun stuff that will come later.

I'm working tomorrow, but I should be able to pop on in the evening and maybe we can make more progress then.

I thought about doing this via a PM, but decided that any thoughts shared out here have the potential to help someone else work through a project of their own. Besides, there are a couple of people I would like to ask to chime in a little later once we get the details established which would be more difficult via PM. This is the kind of thing I enjoy working on since there isn't an easy solution. Right now I need a constructive mental challenge, so I'd be glad to spend some time on it.

Ok, here's the drawing. Verify the measurements for the lines in black and provide as accurately as you can (round inches will be fine) the dimensions for the lines in red. Just write them in by hand-nothing fancy required. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: *Bella*,

Christie

Picture of Nana J
posted Hide Post
Christie, I appreciate so much your efforts and concern in this project that has baffled me.
Width of "hall" 40 in
Extra length of hall wall 28 in
Width of closet door wall 46 in
Wall behind commode to window 45 in
Side wall from window to wall 111 in
Depth of vanity wall 46 in
I hope this covers what you need. Again, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
Ok, here's a new drawing based on the additional measurements. It should be fairly to scale. I had to estimate one wall based on the other measurements provided. Can you check to see if the it's fairly accurate. I also added a couple of inches for trim around the windows as the measurements on these walls weren't quite adding up by about the amount of what trim would be. Did your measurements include the window trim?

Can you verify the measurement from the bottom trim of the windows to the floor? 46" is less than 4 feet. That seems pretty short for a window in a tub where in normal circumstances, privacy at that height would pose a problem. Can you verify the height on that?

Will this room be a total gut job-aside from the closet, that is?

The most important question is what bugs you about this room? What things are motivating your desire to change it? Please be as specific as possible and answer honestly. There's no judgement here, just data collecting and if we don't know the true motivators, we'll never be able come up with a plan that makes you delighted. Make sense?

Christie

Picture of Nana J
posted Hide Post
I double-checked the windows and they are 46 inches from bottom of frame to floor. They are actually 38 inches wide including frame.
The motivating factors are many - the area going into the room including "hall", and area in front of vanities is carpet and rest is vinyl and I can't stand either one. The vanities are very low (look like they were made for children). The tub is never used and is just a dust collector. Shower is Ok but would prefer a new larger tiled one. Yes, it is a gut job. Should add that the ceiling vaults to 11 feet and there is a skylight which I love. I love the natural light provided by the windows and skylight so I'm hoping not to lose that. I know that this is going to be expensive and I fear making wrong decisions that will make me sorry that we spent the money.

Picture of keithglass
posted Hide Post
Hi Nana J,

You should not compromise with your windows as sunlight gives a fresh and live feeling in bathroom.

I think you should move the tub at opposite corner or remove it from the bathroom.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: keithglass,

Posts: 8 | Location: Hopewell Junction, NY United States | Registered: Oct 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
Ok, some more data collection questions.

1. Do you wish to have a tub/shower combo to replace your existing shower or do you want to skip any kind of tub altogether and just have a shower only?

2. If you want a shower only, what size (approximate dimensions) shower would you like to have?

3. If you are going to put in a shower unit only, will it have a door or do you prefer the look of a shower curtain?

Christie

Picture of Nana J
posted Hide Post
We want just a shower. There is a combo unit in the second bath. Size of shower can vary depending on the design we come up with but would like it to be approx. 5x5 give or take . Originally I said no door but DH doesn't like shower curtains and he thinks it would be cold without a door so probably will go with frameless door.

Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
Ok. Next questions.

1. Given that this will be a gut job, would you like his and hers vanity areas or is the shared space ample for both of you?

2. I you'd like to stick with one vanity, what size would you like? Does the one you have now have sufficient counter space for both of you?

3. If you want to think about putting in 2 vanities, what size would they need to be to accommodate each of your needs?

Christie

Picture of Nana J
posted Hide Post
Wow, you're speedy! Currently we share the 6 foot double sink vanity but I would love move counter space. By my limited calculations we could go up to 48 inches each with separate mirrors and lights.

Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
So I gather that you might like separate vanity spaces if possible?

Next questions.

1. Do you have sufficient storage space? I see that you have a couple of cabinets. Would you like for them to stay in the room as part of your decorative style or are they strictly functional for you?

2. Approximately where is the skylight located?

3. Is the ceiling vaulted to the middle of the room, or is it taller on one side of the room than the other (i.e. commode wall at 8' and vanity wall at 11')?

4. Is there anything special you would like to add to this room that would improve its function for you or that you'd just be tickled to death to have?

Christie

Picture of Nana J
posted Hide Post
The white cabinets are strictly functional and they will go so I do need to add storage space.
The skylight is on the side of the room between the commode and tub.
The ceiling is vaulted to the center of the room.
I really don't have anything special I would like to add. My goal is to have a bathroom that I think is absolutely beautiful and extremely functional. I have considered a dressing table area but I'm not sure that I would really use it and I don't want that to take away from something more useful.
Once again, I appreciate so much all the time you are putting into this.

Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
Now for some kind of weird questions.

1. Where is your laundry room?

2. Do you iron? If so, where do you do it?

I sent you a PM.

Christie

Picture of Nana J
posted Hide Post
Laundry room is in entirely different area. Only iron when absolutely necessary and have a built-in ironing board in the laundry room.

Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
One more thing. If you're facing the shower from inside the room, where is the drain? To the left or to the right? I'm guessing it's to the right so it isn't on an exterior wall, but ya never know!

Christie

Picture of Nana J
posted Hide Post
I assume you mean the current shower, so that would be to the right.

Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
Yes, exactly.

Last question of the night, I swear!

Does the wall with your current vanity on it back up to another room or is it an exterior wall?

Christie

Picture of Nana J
posted Hide Post
I'm happy to answer any and all questions. That is an exterior wall.

Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
Ok, I’ve got a few things for you to look at and think about. This is made purely from the measurements you provided so there may some small discrepancies. All of the measurements were under 14’x14’, so you may have some additional inches you can use to enlarge the shower a hair or give yourself more room at the commode.

The two attached pics are pretty much the same with the exception of the position of the shower door and some of the cabinet sizes. Smaller cabinets allow for a slightly larger shower and more elbow room at the commode. Bigger cabinets allow for a bit more storage as well as countertop space. Of course their depths can be changed as well based on what you’re going to need.

From above, it’s hard to see what’s going on, so I’ll add explanations and reasons for doing various things.

First, I left the toilet where it was because you don’t see it when you’re standing at the door and moving the drain for it might be complicated due to the pitch it would need to have if it were moved across the room. I don’t think the benefits would justify the cost. It seems to be perfectly fine right where it is.

There are two vanity areas, one for you and one for DH. My initial thought was to give you the one next to the windows so you could have more counter space, storage space, and natural lighting for your tasks. The corner cabinet can just be a countertop so you can put a little stool there for your primping, if you’d like. You could have small mirror that doesn’t cover your windows, perfume bottles, jewelry boxes & displays, whatever. Everyone seems to agree that this would be a good place for storage and to make it part of your prep space also gives it function. At would also give you a reason for a little chandy if you’d like one since it would provide additional lighting over an area you would possibly use.

I had DH on the side near the door because we all know we girls need our space! The storage units at each end of his vanity are the tall type. I thought the one next to the shower would be convenient for the towels, etc. The other side can be for his primping gear.

Of course, they can be swapped If you need tall cabinet space for yourself since the storage at the vanity near the windows has space you would have to bend over to access. Depends on your/DH’s needs and desires whether any type of below the waist storage is convenient.

The shower isn’t 5x5 but is more like 4’9” x 5’7”. The shower head in figure A is on the wall where your existing one is (although it will possibly need to be a new wall depending on its current location.) In figure B, it is on the wall with the new vanity. I added a little seat in there since sometimes they just come in handy.

So, ponder it a while with DH and see if any of it is going to fly, which parts you like, which parts you don’t, and any additional comments or requests you’d like to add. I’ll post an alternate plan next so you have at least 2 configurations to ponder.

P.S. I made the pic smaller so maybe you wouldn't have to scroll. Hope you can still read it,

Christie

Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
Ok, this is the alternate. The lack of upright storage is bothering me since as we age, bending isn’t as easy as it used to be. This one moves the commode to the space in front of the windows that is being so difficult. My thinking is that some half walls might provide some privacy from certain angles while still allowing the windows to be seen and the light to be utilized. When you come in the room, the person on the pot is clearly visible, which isn’t s nice as the configuration that you currently have. The real question is since this is a master bath and doesn’t get high traffic flow of guests, does it matter? Of course you could skip the half walls altogether and gain a few more inches of space if you were so inclined.

The advantage is that you can put another tall storage unit between the commode and the closet wall in addition to the two across the room. It just depends on what and how much you need to store.

The disadvantages are that you lose the counter space and some privacy, so these are some things to think about.

Christie

Picture of Nana J
posted Hide Post
WOW! We are leaning toward A, mostly because of the positioning of the shower door and the ability to have more glassed area for light. How tall would the corner unit and storage cabinets be?
We thought we had considered every possible option, but had not considered putting the second vanity on the outside end wall. I think I like that very much.
I can tell you have spent so much time on this and I can never tell you how grateful I am.

Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
Glad it might work for you! I'm making approximate views of each wall to give a better visual. Some of the actual cabinet and vanity heights will depend on what's available in your area.

I do have one more question since you said your vanity is short. Would the height of the lower cabinets in your kitchen (standard is 36") work better for you? Do you need something taller than that?

Christie

Picture of Nana J
posted Hide Post
Current vanity is 29" and we are thinking 32-33". Is there a "standard"?

Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
29"! Uh, yeah that's pretty short! 32-34" is pretty common these days. Depends on the manufacturer and what options they offer.

Christie

Picture of Nana J
posted Hide Post
We will be using a custom cabinet maker. We have used this company a couple of times before and have been extremely pleased with their work.

Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
Excellent! You can have them made any way you want!

Ok, here are two samples for the basic idea for the walls that will have the most changes. There's no way I'd ever be able to figure out how to draw a toilet, so you'll have to use your imagination on that one. Smile The bizarre looking egg thing in front of the window is a badly done representation of a chandy. I trust you'll chose something more attractive if you decide you want one there. Reminds me of the egg chairs in the 60s! Also, I put a light over the shower. With your vaulted ceiling, I don't know if you'd be able to get one up there though. It's just a thought. You might get a tube skylight in there as long as it doesn't look silly with your existing skylight. Just kickin' around thoughts...

The corner in front of the windows could just be countertop so you can pull up a seat. I made all the short cabinetry at 33" as a compromise between 32" and 34". The actual height will be your preference. The door I put at 6' tall as well as the wall it's attached to. I don't know if you can go shorter on the wall next to the linen cabinet because you'll need your shower head to be up there somewhere. I think I made it short in the drawings though.

Anyway, here's the basic idea. One is in off-white, one is in an imaginary wood tone.

Christie

Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
The wood colored one with smaller mirrors and more light. I like this one personally and DH is wishing we had the space for it!

Christie

Picture of Nana J
posted Hide Post
These are looking great! DH is wondering about changing the 21" cabinets with his vanity to one larger one, possibly 36". That seems a bit large to me, can't imagine how it would look.

Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
I think it would be ok if he wanted only one larger cabinet. The benefits would be that you could ad 6" to the shower or he could add 6" to his vanity. I would probably opt for double doors on the large cabinet as they're easier to manipulate, take up less swing room. A single door is going to be large and fairly heavy for the hinges especially in that height. You're cabinet folks can advise you better.

Here's basically what it would look like. I added the additional room to the shower.

Christie