Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Christmas UN-Decorating
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Christmas UN-Decorating Sign In/Join 
Picture of Linderhof
posted
When do you undecorated for Christmas? The day of, the weekend after, or after the first of the year . . . and why!

Martha

Posts: 6062 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
When I worked, I did the Thanksgiving weekend up and Christmas weekend down routine.

Since I don't work, the tree has been put up later and comes down later. It's ALWAYS after the first of the year and USUALLY is closer to Epiphany!

Part depends upon when the city is picking up trees -- if it's a bit earlier than I like, I'll take it down so they can pick up -- it's free, after all!

I especially like this quiet week -- this last week of December and the first part of January -- to enjoy the decorations and not have the hustle and bustle of Christmas parties to go to, entertaining to do, gifts to wrap and cards to mail.

I can enjoy the Christmas decorations and feel relaxed!

Martha

Posts: 6062 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ours go up Thanksgiving Day or the day after. We take them down New Years Day per hubby. It's suppose to be good luck to leave it up until New Years??? I fell in love with our tree this year and told hubby we should put it up sooner next year.

Posts: 566 | Registered: Jan 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still work, so it revolves around that. Since I work at a university, I am fortunate to have a long holiday vacation compared to some. It takes me 2-3 days to get everything down (inside and out). Normally I go back to work on Jan. 2, but due to the way the days fall this year, I took off Jan. 2-3 so as to have two full weeks vacation. Even so, I like to get it out of the way, and also watch the weather forecast to find the best outdoor day. I took down the inside yesterday and today, and plan to take down the outside on New Year's day. I have to say that taking it down really depresses me, and tonight being the first night in a month without the trees lit up is sad.

Posts: 4103 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It can vary, depending on circumstances. A year my dear late sis was ill, it stayed up the longest it ever had.

We were later putting it up this year, but for some reason I am wanting to get it down and what little I put out, put away.

Grands still here, so may wait until the 31st or 1st. If a few days later than that it will be okay. May take me a few days to undo the tree. That is okay too. Most years I miss the tree etc. when they are put away. Feel like the rooms are too bare. Don't think I am feeling that way this year. We will see how the energy holds out.

Hope everyone has a wonderful New Year!

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6307 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I usually take the tree down and start undecorating on New Years Day while watching parade football. By the time the Rosé Bowl comes on I'm ready to sit down and watch game. Anything undone can wait until the next day.

Posts: 3139 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Typically, DH and I keep Christmas up till the end of January. Tho it is not the norm, we love the warm glow, glitter and spirit of the holiday to sustain us through most of the winter.

Having said that, this was one holiday that broke our tradition. To say I didn't put up one tree when I usually have two or three, sounds strange even to me, but that was the case this Christmas. Part of the reason was on going home projects that sucked the joy of decking the halls out of us and partly due to a visit to DS and grands followed by Christmas with BIL and family in Pittsburgh. I did hang a lit door wreath, decorated the new mail box and flower boxes along with front urns. I also displayed the nativity, but that's it. Those who know me would be aghast at this years' lack of displays since I have a visual merchandising background and a tendency to go all out. Perhaps next Christmas the house won't be torn up and I will once again adorn our home for the holiday in the style it deserves.

Posts: 18698 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of homebody4
posted Hide Post
since we are away for thanksgiving I usually start cleaning and some decorating before we go. Usually this is things I make or change from the year before. Then we come home the Monday after Thanksgiving and do all the decorating, and the tree last, so this is mostly not until Dec 7 or later. Take down the day after New Years. This year I am going to start undecorating tomorrow.

Posts: 1494 | Location: united states | Registered: May 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Christmas Candy
posted Hide Post
It takes the entire weekend after Thanksgiving to put away Thanksgiving décor and exchange it for Christmas.
Then my DM comes over and it is an all day project to put up my 9' tree with the Hallmark light and motion ornies. So it is a full week to get Christmas up as I also have to go to work during the day.

I won't start to take it down until after Jan. 6 as right now I am just enjoying the lights every night. Also, it is so much time putting everything up that I don't want to just turn around and take it all down so soon.

I saw a you tube video of a home on another forum.. I would love to know how to do that as it gives more of the feel of the home than a multitude of photos.

Anyone have any advice for me on how to do a video?? I do NOT have a smart phone so that is not an option.

Thanks for any help,
Candy

Posts: 1313 | Location: CO | Registered: Dec 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Growing up we put the tree up on the first Sunday in Advent and took it down on Epiphany which is the 12th day of Christmas. (For those of you who do not know what Epiphany is - it is the day when the 3 wise men arrived to see the baby)

However, since marrying, it has been a struggle. My husband's family alway put the Christmas tree up on Christmas Eve and took it down anytime.
I would buy the Christmas tree and drag it home but my husband would never put up the Christmas tree until Christmas Eve. SO I decided to circumvent him. I bought a gorgeous artificial tree and smarty me thought it could be carried to the basement with the decorations, covered by a sheet and just carted up the stairs the next year. BUT I failed to realize that the doorway to the basement wasn't wide enough for the tree to go thru:::::::laughing:::::::::

I hate decorating the tree. Several years ago after I moved into this house, I had the tree carried up, had it professional decorated and after Christmas just shut the doors to the morning room and left it up for TWO YEARS. I mean we rarely have company and with the doors shut, there's no reason for anyone to go from the family room into that room.

For the past several years we have come to Florida to spend Christmas with my 99 year old mother in law at her winter home but next year, I intend to stay home and decorate to the MAZ.

Posts: 1140 | Registered: Jan 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Maine Lady
posted Hide Post
We put up a real tree. When it comes down is determined by the health of the tree. When it begins to get too dry, it is time to take the tree down. Yesterday was the end of the tree. I also put away the stockings and Christmassy table toppers. Much of our decorating is nature and winter related, so those items will stay out. The wintry / natural decor works very well with the views outside our windows. When the views outside begin to look like spring ( which could be the end of March) I will put away our winter wonderland decor.

Maine Lady

Posts: 5742 | Location: Maine | Registered: Jan 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
The decorations and tree are packed already waiting for a pass into the attic. I like getting the house back in order and resuming every-day routines. The sea turtle decor is playing nice again in the kitchen. The seashells and sea-glass bowl are back on the DR table.

The dough bowl is filled with kitchen towels again instead of holiday greenery. It's much more practical. All is well. Smile

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9460 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paintlady
posted Hide Post
I will take my Christmas Decorations down sometime during the first two weeks of January. It usually takes me 3 days to take it all down, clean as I go, put things back in place, and carefully pack up Christmas decorations. I also like to enjoy the quiet during the week after Christmas with no work at all. The weeks leading up to Christmas are so hectic for me. I enjoy getting to rest and relax the week after. Once we ring in the New Year, then I'm rejuvenated!

Posts: 9011 | Registered: Jul 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always after New Year's because I like looking at my decorations for as long as I can.

Posts: 1118 | Location: North Carolina Close to Charlotte | Registered: Apr 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of *Bella*
posted Hide Post
Our family tradition was that on my birthday, which is the 12th, we put up the tree and decorated for Christmas. On my brother's birthday, which is the 31st, we put everything away. Most years, I keep the tradition. So, tomorrow I'll put away the few things I put out this year.

I confess that once or twice I have packed it all up and put it all away after lunch on Christmas day. Some years, I just want to have my house back to its normal self. Smile

Christie

Posts: 4031 | Location: West TN, Zone 7a | Registered: Jan 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of my2gals
posted Hide Post
It differs a bit around here when Christmas decor is put away. Usually New Year's Day when I have plenty of help from hubby. This year I have a house full of sickies so of course I am itching to have it down sooner than later. Funny how that works, all mental. Trying to relax and enjoy it all for a bit longer.

I tend to leave a bit of lighted garland or whatever else I think I can get away with hanging around for awhile. Things always appear a little sad when all is put away.

Posts: 901 | Registered: Nov 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
When I was a child the tree went up Christmas eve, but decorations were much simpler then.

We do have a tree this year and will take it down Friday. We spend Christmas with DD and she is decorated to the hilt! Inside in out, tree brushes the ceiling etc. But that is her background so she enjoys it.

We cut our tree this year and the wonderful facility and staff had a neat thing. They put the tree in a kind of shaker thing and it jiggled that tree for all it was worth to shake out any loose needles. Needless to say it has not dropped one in the house.

I get very tired of Xmas decorations, so would never put them up till much closer to Christmas.

But I must say it was thrilling to see them in NYC on the 26th! Esp Rock center!

Posts: 12787 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CatieCupCake
posted Hide Post
It comes down whenever the motivation hits.
Christmas came down last Saturday. Hadn't planned on taking it all down but once I started I got on a roll and packed it up and put it away. Now that it's done I am very happy I did it. Smile

Cathy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Grandchildren are God's gift to you for not killing your own!

We don't stop playing because we grow old...we grow old because we stop playing Smile

Posts: 7665 | Location: Northern California USA | Registered: Oct 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
My decorating at this time of year has evolved to be more 'winter' themed than Christmas themed. So it starts at the beginning of December and could probably stay until Spring. Likely it won't remain intact until April tho as I tire of the same decor after awhile. Only put up a 4' tree this year which will likely stay for another couple of weeks. My other decor is pine cones, small artificial undecorated green trees in urns and containers, lanterns, candles, winter art, Christmas books, and stuffed animals for the children and the child in all of us! The few specific Christmas themed items and the stuffed animals will be packed away with the decorated tree. In recent years my goal has been to transition my decor from one season to the next to avoid that bare undecorated look.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12750 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I usually un-deccorate by myself on or before New Years because my daughter and her boyfriend leave on Christmas Day evening. This year, they stayed until today (12/30) so we had an un-decorating party yesterday. I made a big potato salad, her boyfriend and I collaborated on a chicken and sausage gumbo, and we undid the tree, took down the Christmas wall decorations, etc., before eating the good food on TV trays and watching the finale of Downton Abbey. It was one of the best days of her visit.

Posts: 3459 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I like to leave mine up for the full 12 days of Christmas, so Jan 6, but my husband usually gets anxious, so we sometimes take things down on New Years Day.

Posts: 7202 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I undecorated yesterday and today. Last year we were replacing all of the flooring in our living areas so I didn't decorate at all. I was anxious this year to see my decorations and tree, lol! We put the tree up the week of thanksgiving. Although I enjoy the pieces I've collected, I'm ready to have my house back by Christmas. The tree is still standing and lit but bare. Dh will take it down Wed. I did a pretty deep clean yesterday as I packed everything.Did a lot of purging of decorations and ornaments that I either didn't care for, never cared for much or had seen better days.

Posts: 98 | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post