Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  What would you put over this TV?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What would you put over this TV? Sign In/Join 
posted
Please ignore the colors - my camera takes horrible pictures as it relates to color on walls, etc.

This is a little alcove that we house our TV in. I'd like to put something above the TV on the wall, but not sure what. I will post below what I had originally thought of, but family rejected the mirrors - looked too busy with three of them. This is a darker area of the house and having a mirror above there would reflect a lot of light - which would be good, but not necessary as our focal point really is the fireplace.

Posts: 777 | Registered: May 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pic 2

posted Hide Post
Pic 3

posted Hide Post
This was the mirror I originally put over the TV - 3 of them together spanned past the length of the console by about 4" each side.

posted Hide Post
This is something else I am considering. The picture doesn't do it any justice. It's as long as the console table, but only 12" in height - wouldn't take up much space. I also think I'd need to change out my vase or something with color so it didn't look so bland. This is an iron piece with real wood pieces attached.

posted Hide Post
I think something like that would be better than mirrors or some sort of picture which would "compete" with the television.

Posts: 3410 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That makes sense - maybe why the mirrors didn't work (too overpowering).

posted Hide Post
Your absolute best choice would be something architectural rather than decorative. A simple shelf the same color as the window trim running the entire length of the alcove would be a great place for a collection of pottery. Adding another flat element above the TV like a picture, a mirror or even a sculpture piece is too redundant.

If you like my idea I wouls suggest mounting the shelf kind of high so there is enough space between it an the TV to keep the look uncluttered. Perhaps even with the window top.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charles D,

Posts: 1782 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I really like Charles's idea! Plus, you could change the things on it easily.

Posts: 3155 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
I agree with Charles, too many 'pieces'. I like his idea of a simple shelf in same wood.

That shelf idea could grow over time to add built in bookcases in top portion or ones with doors so they serve as a place to store items when not in use and open for books (unless you don't have to store books) built in as tall as windows or to the ceiling in that part of the room. You could have cabinet doors closing off storage beneath if you need more storage in the future.

In the meantime, no need to fill that space to compete with the mantel feature.

Posts: 9717 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great thought Charles. I would have to be very careful with what I put on top of the shelf as not to be cluttered. How deep would you do the shelf?

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your absolute best choice would be something architectural rather than decorative

ITA with Charles. This is the side of a cabinet I had built in our sitting room. The t.v. (on a stand for needed mobility) is at the bottom. Three shelves serve for storage and/or display.

This corner could not really serve as place for anything else as French doors open into it.

You have a natural niche that would be wonderful with some cabinetry.

Oops! Just re-read Charles' advise and I would go much more extensive than a mere shelf. I would have an open cabinet.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lady of shallot,

Posts: 12601 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would make the shelf 12-14 inches deep and as thick as the mantle is possible.

Posts: 1782 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Charles idea hit the spot.
Another thought: Do you have children? If so, you could do a triptych of unique photos.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So here is a shelf that I could use - looks rustic, which I like. It's 4' x 4" thick x 10" deep. The mantle ledges on the fireplace are about the same width and height. I could span 2 - 4' shelves and 1 - 2' shelf to go wall to wall. The depth of the niche is 18". Would this work?

posted Hide Post
I like these alot. I think they would be great!

posted Hide Post
What about taking out the bookshelf on the left and having two rattan urnes w/filler (as shown) on either side. Then add a shelf above going the length of the console - actually a little longer, or would that look silly?

I'm trying to do something that won't be a huge investment and that I could use somewhere else when we get our built-ins. If I got 3 - 2' shelves (shown above) and put them together that would span over the console by 7" on each side. I'm looking at the 2' shelves as the others are on back order til September!

posted Hide Post
Okay - my son answered my question. He felt a deep shelf going all the way across is the best. So, is there a way to make a shelf that looks rustic? I could order the one above, but don't want to wait til September.

I also found a website that showed how to make a floating wooden shelf. I'm going to go that route so I can make it as long as I want!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: christyinco,

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles D:
I like these alot. I think they would be great!
I agree!

Posts: 9717 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do like the shelves you found,and not knowing your budget I wouldn't dissuade you from something in your price range. But my personal preference would be one long "floating" shelf.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I've decided to put this on hold. We just sold our old house and we were waiting for that before we started our kitchen remodel, which is opposite this wall. I am going to push for built-ins at the same time. I think it's the best thing in the end.