Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  small, dark kitchen
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

small, dark kitchen Sign In/Join 
posted
my new condo is 8x9 with black appliances tan speckeled laminate countertops, and neutral vinyl floor. The cabinets have also been painted black. With only one window the room seems smaller than it is. I think painting the cabinets and walls would lighten it up. I like white cabinet color but with black appliances, would that be too much contrast? What would be a good color for the walls?

Posts: 10 | Registered: Feb 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have white cabinets with black wrought iron hardware and mostly black appliances. My floor is terracotta tile and my backsplashes are off-white Mexican tiles with some tiles skewed here and there with different black and terracotta designs in them.
The countertops are Silestone Stellar Night black in keeping with my black mirrored Sub_Zero fridge and separate black mirrored Sub Zero freezer.
The walls are patent leather shiny off white.
To me, everything seems to look just fine!

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Black and white is a definitely good combination. Or you can go in for an off white shade.

Posts: 16 | Registered: Jun 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
If reluctant to go w/ a stark black and white combo, you can definitely opt for an off white or beige/tan. if you wish to opt for white cabinetry, consider a black/white tiled floor. Use more black and white via checks, a graphic print or stripes in things like table linens, chair cushions, towels, etc. Both color combos remain neutral allowing great scheme flexiblity to your kitchen. To lighten the space look for a light and warm color for the walls taking cues from adjoining public spaces. Keep in mind that even some cool colors like turqoise or a spring/summer green have warm undertones. To further lighten/brighten your kitchen bump up artifical lighting but stay clear of florescent bulbs opting for warmer illumination. Use more light/bright colors via art, a rug runner, accessories. Include reflective things like metals in hardware, faucet, and light fixtures. A large mirrored window can simulate a missing window while doubling light also.

Posts: 18382 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
I copied the picture below from a real estate listing in PA. Is this what you are envisioning the kitchen will look like with white cabinets?

jpg

Posts: 2641 | Registered: Jan 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grey is a popular color for cabinets these days and would reduce the contrast between your cabinetry and appliances.

Posts: 1721 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I happen to like black appliances with white cabinets. You could either try a soft khacki color for a neutral look or perhaps a green that would look good with the tannish/neutral counters and floors.

Is your laminate counter in good condition? In a kitchen that small, the laminate could be replaced quite reasonably. I have seen some darker brown tones with a little black fleck that looks great with white cabinets and black appliances.

Can you show us a picture of your existing laminate and flooring?

Posts: 648 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: Apr 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the picture, still tryin, of the white cabinets and black appliances. It looks very similar to mine except that the counter tops are lighter and of course the cabinets are black. That gave me inspiration: white cabinets, new floor with small black & white tiles (or grey), grey & white backsplash & counter top and apple green walls. The cabinet hardware is already stainless steel long pulls. Accents could be a basket of artificial lemons that I already have and maybe a bright yellow curtain. No more darkness. Wow! You guys are great! Thanks to all who replied for your suggestions.

Posts: 10 | Registered: Feb 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
ljn, you've gotten great ideas and it seems you have a terrific plan, moving forward.

My two cents: You cannot have enough lighting in a kitchen, no matter how big or small.

1. Install under-cabinet lighting, if it is not already present.

2. Add additional light overhead, such as pendants and directional light, like ceiling tracks. If it is feasible to add recessed lighting in your ceilings, do so, if there are none.

3. Boost the flow of natural light into your kitchen by eliminating heavy window treatments.

Good luck.

Posts: 5163 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah I agree with your post kitchen needs some Beautiful bright lightning that will make your kitchen look more lively and Beautiful with an magnificent look.
rosarito beach real estate

jeffrey vento

Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you can use this 1 Burner Camp Stove
Description : Brinkmann 842-0010-0 1-Burner Propane Camp Stove Sold Individually 3-Leg Design Increases Stability; Self-Contained Folding Legs; Pressure Regulated For Consistent Burner Output Regardless Of Fuel Level & Altitude; Wind Guard For 360 Burner Protection From Wind; 10,000 Btku Stainless Steel Burner;Match Light Ignition

price : $24.87

This message has been edited. Last edited by: thomas456,

Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MyLifeVacation1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thomas456:
Description : Brinkmann 842-0010-0 1-Burner Propane Camp Stove Sold Individually 3-Leg Design Increases Stability; Self-Contained Folding Legs; Pressure Regulated For Consistent Burner Output Regardless Of Fuel Level & Altitude; Wind Guard For 360 Burner Protection From Wind; 10,000 Btku Stainless Steel Burner;Match Light Ignition

price : $24.87

Are you kidding me? Thomas, this post is a joke, right? I can practically guarantee that there is such resentment on these boards against blatant advertisement such as your's that you will not get even one sales lead from your post. As soon as I press the "Post Now" button your name and product will vanish from my memory immediately.

Posts: 967 | Registered: Oct 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thomas456:
Description : Brinkmann 842-0010-0 1-Burner Propane Camp Stove Sold Individually 3-Leg Design Increases Stability; Self-Contained Folding Legs; Pressure Regulated For Consistent Burner Output Regardless Of Fuel Level & Altitude; Wind Guard For 360 Burner Protection From Wind; 10,000 Btku Stainless Steel Burner;Match Light Ignitionprice : $24.87

What are you suggesting that she use this to bring in more light or burn down the kitchen? Ya just got to love a bone-headed misplaced blatant advertising. This spammers ad is so inappropriate it's funny.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: still tryin,

Posts: 2641 | Registered: Jan 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
On a serious suggestion.....

My kitchen is smaller and minimal natural light.

I went to a lighting store, asked them how much wattage I needed for the space - they gave me number, and i bought my lighting according to that.

i found a flush ceiling mount fixture that holds 4 bulbs - max 100W for each bulb. No, I dont have that much wattage in there, but I put 4 60W bright white CFLs in that fixture, along w/ 2 75W bright CFLs above the sink, and my kitchen is nice and bright!!

Each light by itself is pretty sufficient in its space, and together, there's no struggling to see in there! Cool

~~~becca~~~~

Posts: 5532 | Location: dayton ohio | Registered: Jul 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post