Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  need bed sheets recommendation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

need bed sheets recommendation Sign In/Join 
posted
OK, this is silly, really. We got new bed sheets just a few months ago- and already we need new ones. Apparently, I move my feet a lot during the night and wear holes right through the sheets!

I know one goes with thread count for softness, but what I need is durability. Preferably, both.

Any suggestions on what to look for in purchasing new bed sheets?

thanks!

Posts: 6101 | Registered: Jul 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
What I look for?
Besides high thread count and 100 percent cotton (Egyptian cotton is often nice), I look at the total weight and thickness/density of the package compared to other packages. The longest lasting sheets that I have, are actually heavier to lift and seem a thicker/substancial fabric.

I too had some wonderful, soft polished cotton sheets, but after a year, a hole developed in the fitted sheet near the foot area on DH's side. Wink

Posts: 9432 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes! that is exactly where the hole is on my sheets! But only after 4 months.

Thanks for the tip!

posted Hide Post
You might look for percale sheets, particularly the poly/cotton. Also a higher thread count is not for everyone. You might try a lower (maybe not down to muslin Smile) thread count.

Posts: 6732 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does the weave make a difference? I think these are "sateen"

I like the idea of natural fibers, like cotton. But maybe I need synthetic fibers for durability?

posted Hide Post
I wouldn't buy anything but cotton. It breathes better. When I have bought synthetic for the kids when they wanted sheets with sports or pictures, they would always pill. I had a cotton sateen 400 count from Kohls that lasted about 5 years. I think it was the regular washing in bleach that did them in. I am not washing my current ones in bleach regularly. They are probably 400 count cotton from K-Mart. They were very reasonably priced and I have had them between 1-2 years. FYI- I wash them and put them right back on so I don't have to fold them, so they are used all the time.

Posts: 419 | Location: Illinois | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The key for durability is to look for sheets made with long-staple single ply cotton.

Here's a good article from Real Simple magazine to read about buying sheets:
http://www.realsimple.com/home...eets-10000000684301/

Posts: 1727 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
The absolute WORST sheets I have ever bought were some rather expensive microfiber. Supposed to be cool, but weren't and after only a few rotations and washes...they began to pill. Pilling is the worst!

If you can find them...sometimes one can find sheets just an inch or two larger than standard. I have one pair of Queen size (probably irregular from TJ maxx) that are like 62x82? instead of the standard 60x80 size. The bottom sheet is still smooth when on and is SO much easier to put on the mattress. That last corner can be a real bear (and nail breaker) with some sheets.

Posts: 9432 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks all!

I've begun my search.... the Real Simple article had some recommendations of places to buy online, and I found one where I can buy just the fitted sheet instead of a set. This makes sense to me since the rest of the sheet set is fine- just the fitted sheet is giving me fits.

The downside- cost. But I guess if I want sheets that last more than a few months, I will have to pay for it.

Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
that's sad as my fave sheets and are so comfortable, are the jersey ones but sad to say they can get holes..but we keep using them..and the price is cheap enough we have 3-4 different colors...

Posts: 8482 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Have you looked on eBay? I have bought just the bottom fitted sheets on several occasions. I used to get them from Penney's, but now I have used eBay. I look only for new ones. They are reasonably priced, too.

Posts: 3035 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi TQ, we have the same problem. Am constantly searching for good quality, extra fitted sheets that are deep enough.

Quickly checked out the 2 links in the RS article but only saw sets. What website/online retailer were you looking at? Something mentioned in the comments?

Thanks for your time. BTW, good luck with your relocation and the sale of your home!

Posts: 414 | Registered: Aug 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The site I checked out was garnet hill. I clicked on bedding and bath, then sheets, then percale- which led me to the sheets sold as separates. Of course, the fitted sheet alone, for some styles, was $55. A bit pricier than I'd want, but I'm all for giving it a shot and seeing if they are durable.

posted Hide Post
I have always bought 100% cotton sheets from JCP. They aren't the cheapest, but they last for years. No matter how inexpensive a sheet is, if it only lasts four months, it wasn't a bargain.

Posts: 3241 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Christmas Candy
posted Hide Post
I am also a fan of the jersey sheets. Like wearing a fav t-shirt. Mine lasted several years before developing holes.

Then last fall, I bought fleece sheets at cost*co! LOVE them!!!! Not cold when I get into bed and I have only had to use my electric blanket a couple of times this winter instead of every night!

But I will be going back to my jersey sheets for spring/summer.

JMHO,
Candy

Posts: 1245 | Location: CO | Registered: Dec 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, TQ. Must have been surfin' too rapidly, as usual, lol.

Always searching for quality but have a knack for selecting discontinued items. Very impressed with our latest new set - Ralph Lauren (regular, non-sateen). They washed incredibly well - the lint trap was almost empty. Yep, discontinued!

Thanks again. P.S. Good luck completing your bathroom - looking forward to the after photos.

Posts: 414 | Registered: Aug 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post