Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Birdcages, cloches, apothecary jars, stemware, boxes, lanterns, cake domes...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Birdcages, cloches, apothecary jars, stemware, boxes, lanterns, cake domes... Sign In/Join 
Picture of Froo Froo
posted
Vessels that elevate the simplest elements to a whole new level. Possibilities galore. I will submit examples to amaze and inspire. Stay tuned interested parties...

Posts: 18659 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post

Posts: 18659 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post

Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmm, must find cloches....

TFS!

Posts: 3252 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
LoL. Word of caution, like a potato chip, you can't stop at one. Wink Trust me..I have 6 or 7 of various shapes and sizes. I love playing with them in tablescapes tho. They make everything appear special. I don't even mind hand washing mine. BTW Junk collector, Home Goods and TJMaxx often have some in stock at great prices. There are also wire versions and those are apt to be found in a florist's shop. Keep in mind that cheese domes, cake domes and even upside down glass bowls can create a cloche effect.

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I agree, cloches are fun and easy to decorate with! Lots of great ideas here Froo Froo!

I recently found three large lanterns while out thrifting, that I am thinking of using this fall, to hold interesting items - like a cloche but not. I am always looking for things to decorate my entry. Hopefully I'll get it done before the season is over.

Posts: 7186 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Lanterns are not just for candles and can be treated much like apothecary jars. For Fall, they can contain feathered spheres, acorns, small pumpkins and gourds, candy corn, a crow, a pilgrim couple, mini Indian corn, dried flowers and pods, dried cranberries, to name a few. For Winter, pine cones and faux evergreen sprigs, holly, Christmas ornaments, starlight mints, deer figurine, small wrapped presents, candy canes to name a few. For Spring a bird's nest and eggs, decorated eggs, cherry blossom branch, a rabbit figurine, etc. For Summer, seashells, bird, star fish, sand, etc. Photos or postcards can be included at any time.

Keep in mind that embellishments can further enhance the top of the lantern. Ribbon, cording, tassels, flowers, sleigh bells, berry branches, greens, etc. are possible candidates.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Froo,

Thanks for the inspiration! It's always fun to see creative ideas.

Posts: 9436 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Froo Froo:
LoL. Word of caution, like a potato chip, you can't stop at one. Wink Trust me..I have 6 or 7 of various shapes and sizes. I love playing with them in tablescapes tho. They make everything appear special. I don't even mind hand washing mine. BTW Junk collector, Home Goods and TJMaxx often have some in stock at great prices. There are also wire versions and those are apt to be found in a florist's shop. Keep in mind that cheese domes, cake domes and even upside down glass bowls can create a cloche effect.

Oh I've been eyeballing some,that's for sure! I need something new for my foyer chest. A few weeks ago I smashed the stem of a wine glass but wasn't thinking and chucked the whole thing Frown it could have been the start of my collection. As it is, I'm searching the house for anything that will do the trick!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: junk collector,

Posts: 3252 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
I have a three foot tall bird cage on my patio that's set over a vineing plant; love it...especially since it was FREE. It was sitting by the curb before trash day and I asked if they were throwing away may I have it and they said sure!

I've seen similar ones, but smaller at thrift stores for $75!!! I didn't even have to paint it, but it did take out the bottom which was a bit yuck.

Posts: 2865 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing those sites! Really inspiring.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6270 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great sites. Thank you for showing.

Posts: 281 | Location: Davie Fl | Registered: May 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
CJO, that cage sounds awesome. I would have retrieved it too. The possibilities are endless.

My pleasure, Strings. Smile

Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
There went the rest of my night! Looking at Froo's links. Thanks as always, Froo!

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Mar 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Hope you're rested, Crayon. Here's an elegant idea...

http://www.finestems.com/cage-arrangement.html

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Another, but definitely doable for the novice florist.

http://www.joann.com/autumn-in...d-cage/12366365.html

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Simple and ties into the table decor...not to mention the table. Smile

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-jqie...sting-unique-fun.jpg