Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  ADDED ANOTHER TABLE...WHAT DO YOU THINK?...Back on my glass dining table kick...PIC's
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ADDED ANOTHER TABLE...WHAT DO YOU THINK?...Back on my glass dining table kick...PIC's Sign In/Join 
Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted
Too much down time here at work...purusing craigslist again!!

I am still kicking around the idea of a glass topped dining table even though they get dusty, fingerprints and scratched...

I found this one that interested me. I only would use the table.

It's sorta hard to see the base of the table-

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Always1StepBehind,

Posts: 9426 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Then there is this table by Ikea that for some reason always catches my eye. I just really like it...??? It almost looks counter height (to me) but the seller comfirmed it's a standard height dining table.

Posts: 9426 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OR do I just wait for a great farmhouse table (like this, but not for $650.) and put a glass top to protect the wood???

posted Hide Post
and of course, here is my space and chairs I'd use.

Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I have never had a glass table but others who do/did complained about the maintenance!

I have had them while on vacation, and know that I would never want one. I would need to have the Windex and paper towels by my side.

I guess it boils down to how fussy you are and how much time you are willing to devote to it.

Posts: 3031 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Always,

Do you use the current table round or oval? Do you need to add the leaf?

I put glass on our round wood table and love the look. It's 1/4 inch thick with pencil edge. Easy to clean after dinner as I use placemats too.

But I won't be able to add the leaf that makes it oval.

Still like your current table & chairs in your SR!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9318 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beau's Rose makes a good point about adding a leaf. You are stuck with the table size when the top is glass.

Didn't you just buy a leather sectional for the adjoining room? Somehow your wood table seems to balance the heaviness of leather better.

Posts: 783 | Registered: Jul 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a glass top table in Florida and I intensely dislike it!! It's just DH and me and it gets smudges and fingerprints on it at every meal, the dogs nose prints show from underside. I'm forever cleaning it. Need I go on? And you have chidren to add to the mix. I love the table you have now.

Posts: 3053 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cavin:
Beau's Rose makes a good point about adding a leaf. You are stuck with the table size when the top is glass.

Didn't you just buy a leather sectional for the adjoining room? Somehow your wood table seems to balance the heaviness of leather better.

I agree

Posts: 9526 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
If you are going to change, I would choose the rustic/farmhouse style - it is more true to the design of your home. And the glass is too much to clean.

Posts: 2955 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
O.K. I don't know if this is weird but, I always think of how most things you put on a kitchen/dining table are cold hard materials like glasses, metal utensils, ceramic or porcelain plates, etc. so for texture difference I always prefer a wood top.

I have a white marble top, so I use wooden placemats to soften it up and they are hard to keep clean.

Posts: 1734 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
I really love the eclectic mix we are seeing in dining rooms.

Glass desk,french chair mix is so pretty.

Posts: 7968 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
also love a seating mix....

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm, I'm not sure Always. But I think I would stick with a wood table for your space. The farmhouse table is cute. Is the stain a little too light, or do you think it will fit in fine?

I just love that last inspiration picture that Annie posted. So Cute. Love the legs of the table painted black. You could do that and it would tie in to your black tv stand.

Posts: 4583 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Annie always finds the best inspiration pictures!!

I like the look of my wood table but I think it's the width that is bothering me. It's a 42in. Round and I feel crowded in the dining area with the sofa table/desk. I go back and forth but have kept it an oval for awhile. I don't think I would invest in a glass piece for this table because I don't think I'm gonna end up keeping it.

I keep thinking I'd like to not have anything on the wall of the dining room so it doesn't feel so crowded but a. I like the look of something back on that wall and b. a flat surface back there can be useful.

I might move that turquoise table out of there and see how we function without it. That won't cost me anything.

Those ikea tables are a dime a dozen so I could always pick one up and try it out and see how much I like/hate a glass top.

Sophie-I was only using that particular farmhouse table as an example- that table is $650. On craigslist... Way too much for my pocketbook. But I've always loved the look of farmhouse tables.

posted Hide Post
I am going to be different...I had a glass hexagon table when the grands were little....loved it for its sparkle and airiness. Not hard to clean up at all. Didn't have to be careful of hot dishes....used placemats now and then. I want one again some day. BUT you will not be able to make the glass table bigger or smaller so take that into consideration. Not fond of farmhouse tables....guess I lived with them too long when I was a child....by the way, can't make the farmhouse table shorter or longer either. I think your table that you have now would look good with the legs painted black or dark brown like your TV credenza.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: May,

love life

Posts: 1422 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But I thought that the point of the turquoise table was to find a place for the computer.
If you remove it, then you're back to square one with no place for it. I like the idea of the table base painted. I bought a quart of ORB paint and keep looking for a piece to use it on. ORB, not black, not brown. Just a thought.

Posts: 1923 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
Here is a photo of my dining room with my glass top table. I have had it for around 25 years. I absolutely love it. Easy to take care of.

One thing about glass top tables is that they are kind of invisible. In a small space, like my dining room, it is an advantage because they take up almost no visible space. They don't crowd the space visually.

Another thing about glass top tables is that the chair is completely visible. The seat of the chair becomes a major design detail.

The rug or carpet or flooring under the table also becomes quite a feature, so you need to be sure the chair seats and the floor look great against each other.

Glass can be really heavy. It would take three grown men and a boy to move my glass slab. Incredibly heavy.

(Sorry that photo came out so small. Can't figure that out.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cocok,

Posts: 7075 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jaysmom-yes, initially the turquoise table was and is for the time being for the computer...when this desktop dies, g od willing ;-) I will get a laptop...I don't like being tie to this one area to use the computer. The I can put the printer anywhere (wireless). If I were to take out the turquoise table now, I'd have to hook up the computer somewhere else temporarily while I get the feel of the DR without something on the wall.

Not worried about making a table larger, smaller, I just need it NOT as wide as this round table. I would be fine with a 1 size rectangle table as long as it is not too short to begin with.

posted Hide Post
A word of caution with that first table. Look how thin the edges are. Someone can easily poke themselves with that pointed edge.
The second table looks much more sturdy and very unique in style. I really like it but then again, I am your glass-top table gal!
My dining room table is a round bamboo that resembles a haystack pulled in in the center. It is topped with a thick, sturdy round glass-top and I simply love it.
It took the place of my dark Drexel Country Spanish trestle table with leaves (now that the kids are grown and gone).
However, the answer for you is obviously based on your style of decorating. Mine happens to be much more modern than the old days. Things now are less "grand" and more light, bright and open with simpler lines.
Do what your heart dictates first and foremost.

PS. I don't get it. What's the difference whether you windex your glass-top after a meal rather than spraying furniture polish and rubbing with paper towels?
Either way, you have to shine and clean up the table. I have never had any problem or trouble with my glass-top showing smudges except right after a meal.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arepo,

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
I have a glass table and I don't find it hard to keep clean........

Cocok, I want to see more of that beautiful dining room!!!

posted Hide Post
Well I went and looked at that table listed by someone closer to me. I liked the table but they didn't even bother to clean the glass, it was all dusty and dirty and had scratches.

I wouldn't mind finding one that the top is in better condition.

I think the first seller already sold her table, the ad is gone.

posted Hide Post
What do you think of this table?

posted Hide Post
I even like the chairs included..

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Always1StepBehind,

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I think it is small and very modern. Is that what you want?

Posts: 7075 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I can't go too big in my dining room.

ahhh...the seller just replied, it's already been sold.

posted Hide Post
I like the clean lines but that it's not super modern IMO. I don't like super modern, but this is doable, a little more "grown up". I don't know if that makes sense to anyone, but me.

posted Hide Post
I happen to also love glass tops so my opinion is with you.
My only concern with a glass top is that you must be sure that it is thick and sturdy enough otherwise you will be inviting accidents.
Rap on it. It should sound solid.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arepo:
I happen to also love glass tops so my opinion is with you.
My only concern with a glass top is that you must be sure that it is thick and sturdy enough otherwise you will be inviting accidents.
Rap on it. It should sound solid.

The one I went to look at yesterday, the one made by Ikea (the 2nd picture listed) I was surprised by the thickness of the table top. So that was a pleasant surprise.

posted Hide Post
Here is another set actually I think the same as this last one I posted, but with with different color chairs. I wonder where this set if from...

Again, have an email in for the measurement of the table top.

posted Hide Post
Yes, that second picture was the only one you posted that seemed sturdy and safe enough. The lastest picture you just posted is an advertisement for disaster with those pointed corners. Don't do it if it isn't over 1/2 inch thick.
I am more concerned with safety than if it is appropriate for the design of your room.

posted Hide Post
well I was able to track down measurements for this last glass table, it's too big, 72 x 42..so for sure that one is out. I will keep my eye open for the ikea one that is in good shape, hopefully the top not all scratched up.

Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
Always,

Do you like this look? Similar to your chairs.

posted Hide Post
I do like that look. I'd rather have the apron of the table black like the picture you posted above though.

Or an all wood stain colored table and my chairs black.

I found this table for $40. Looks pretty good.

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Always,

GRAB it! We'll work around it fitting in your DR later. Such a deal.

Seriously, would it fit if you turned it lengthwize to the window? (IOW cross wize to the current layout of your oval table).

We'll find another spot for your turquiose table. The laptop can be used on one of the new table anyways.

Paint out the current DR chairs in a black to match and use some pretty cushions too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Beau's Rose,

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9318 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
I agree with BeausRose, grab that $40 table. You can always resell if it doesn't work out.

Posts: 4583 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
Glass table. So much for personal privacy when sitting. How many sit properly, lady like, legs not spread apart particularly in shorts, never adjust The Package, etc.

NON-glass saves many scolds, perserves personal comfort, isn't embarrassing when eating, etc.

Posts: 4404 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of all the choices I like the table you have the best. The wood warms up the room. The glass and tile might be cold feeling?

Posts: 658 | Registered: Feb 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In regards to my dining room table...I sold my round/oval this weekend...I am using our patio table till I find something.

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Always1StepBehind:
In regards to my dining room table...I sold my round/oval this weekend...I am using our patio table till I find something.

How exciting. I love changing things up too. Can't wait to see what you do. Smile

Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
That is exciting. I'll be looking for inspiration pics for you.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: annie17,

Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
Are you still thinking of glass?

I wish I had gotten a glass table instead of the ginormous farmhouse style table I have. The woman who lived here before me had glass with white upholstered chairs and the room looked a whole lot bigger.

Wanda

Posts: 4798 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wanda...I am leaning towards glass..but more for the purpose of cleanliness.

Or a wood table, farmhouse style and add glass to the top. I don't like how the wood wears, with water spots or lifting the varnish or heat marks.

I found one of those Ikea tables, picture #2 for $50. on Craigslist that I may go for. Hey for $50. if it doesn't work out, its no big deal.