Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Blue Ribbon Prize!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blue Ribbon Prize! Sign In/Join 
Picture of Belstone
posted
In our town, a blue ribbon is awarded to properties all summer long...this week, we won!

First, I'll show you the house on the day we first saw it...

**Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain**

Posts: 3637 | Location: Here, by the grace of God... | Registered: Jan 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Belstone
posted Hide Post
...and now, here is the blue ribbon, proudly displayed...

**Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain**

Posts: 3637 | Location: Here, by the grace of God... | Registered: Jan 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Belstone
posted Hide Post
...and a little longer shot...

Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

Your house is so charming, would love to see more pictures of it.

Posts: 2804 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: Mar 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! It always feels good to be rewarded for your hard work and effort. The house looks really cute too Smile

Wanda

Posts: 4795 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Belstone
posted Hide Post
Thanks annielinz and WWanda! You've both touched on why we bought it in the first place...cute and charming. We've done a lot and still have lots to do, but we love it.

Picture of Christmas Candy
posted Hide Post
Looks beautiful! Congratulations!!
I like the rain chain.

Any chance to get an after shot from the same perspective as the before?

Candy

Posts: 1245 | Location: CO | Registered: Dec 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Belstone,

Easy to see why you won the Blue Ribbon! The gardens and planters are gorgeous and show all your hard work.

Of course, the "716" is extra special too. That was DH house numbers for his childhood home and we always said "seven-sixteen".

Enjoy!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9315 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Beautiful! And your hard work paid off!

Posts: 9525 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Belstone
posted Hide Post
Thank you all!

Candy, the guy who presented the ribbon didn't know what the rain chain was for! Had to explain. LOL. It's been raining all day, so no more pics but I realized after I posted that I should have taken a shot from further back.

Beau's Rose, hard work is right! DH and I dug out all the old sod from the berms, placed each and every rock, picked out and planted every bush, perennial, bulb and annual, spread the mulch and DH redid the old picture window to look like casements...did anyone notice? Those are not new windows, just mullions he built to look like the originals. We loved every minute! I tend to say seven-one-six...funny coincidence though!

Mary Ruth, yes, it has...thanks!

Picture of MyLifeVacation1
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. Beautiful job. Know whose house your house reminds me of? Bellas.

Posts: 967 | Registered: Oct 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Belstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MyLifeVacation1:
Congratulations. Beautiful job. Know whose house your house reminds me of? Bellas.

I KNOW! They are very similar...I think Bella's is a bit larger, though and I love her big side porch. Thank you MyLife!

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
What a charming idea and how cute your house looks.

The improvements you have made really add a lot to the facade of the house.

And yes, I too agree that it looks somewhat similar to Bellas with the arched addition. Is yours a porte cochere? Is that water coming down the down spout?

Posts: 12136 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hammerhugger
posted Hide Post
Absolutely gorgeous.....nuff said!

My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds.
--Mel Weldon

Posts: 5561 | Location: Arizona, in the valley | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Belstone
posted Hide Post
LOS, Thank you...not a porte cochere, just an arch. That's just the rain chain...no water on Monday but lots of water today!

Hammerhugger, despite your "name", you're a gardener, right? So, thank you very much.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Belstone,

Picture of Maine Lady
posted Hide Post
Your home was loaded with charm from day one. You and your DH brought in the love and polish. She is a beautiful prize winner. Congratulations!

Maine Lady

Posts: 5722 | Location: Maine | Registered: Jan 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Belstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maine Lady:
Your home was loaded with charm from day one. You and your DH brought in the love and polish. She is a beautiful prize winner. Congratulations!

Why, thank you Maine Lady.

Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Beautiful .....you deserve that ribbon!!!

Posts: 3031 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Belstone
posted Hide Post
Thank you Grapefruit!

The rain stopped, so I took another shot for Candy

Picture of CaraRose
posted Hide Post
Belstone, it is lovely. You certainly deserve that award.

Posts: 525 | Registered: Jul 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, definitely well deserved! (and it did remind me of Bella's on first glance)

Posts: 4016 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Belstone, your home and yard is lovely. Congratulations on your blue ribbon Smile

Posts: 2129 | Location: Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of my2gals
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! Congratulations!

Posts: 874 | Registered: Nov 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous home and yard- a true labor of love for you and DH. Did you set all the edging/border rocks?

Posts: 3052 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Christmas Candy
posted Hide Post
Thank you do much for the view shot!
The transformation is amazing!

Placing all those border rocks...what a labor of love.

Guess that makes you a "Rock Star" LOL

Such a charming home with so much personality!!

Thanks again,
Candy

Posts: 1245 | Location: CO | Registered: Dec 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Belstone
posted Hide Post
Thank you all so much for your lovely comments!

CaraRose, Nitalynn, Georgia Peach, my2gals and mamaspoon, thank you. Candy, you're welcome!

Yes, those rocks were a backache, for sure, but we had that silly berm to deal with and no way to cut it back because of the trees (you should see that pink dogwood in the spring). A rock star...yeah.

posted Hide Post
That's really pretty. You definitely deserve a prize for the transformation.

Posts: 1721 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post