Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Help Decorate my Office!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help Decorate my Office! Sign In/Join 
posted
Hello! We recently decided to renovate our office/storage room in our house. Its a small room with hard wood floors and a large window. I wanted to make it masculine with some color since the rest of the house is pretty country chic. I want to go with blues grey's and maybe a pop of mustard yellow or orange?
I bought a rug with a cool design on it and i love it!! The chair I bought is a chevron blue and grey stripped chair that can be returned if anyone has a better idea of an office chair. The furniture is a dark brown wood.
I am struggling with window treatment. I want to make a cornice and then hang curtains behind it. I am unsure if I should do a design fabric on the cornice and solid curtains or vise versa or all solid. I have attached pictures to help with a visual of what I have going on.
Any suggestions will help!

Thanks,
Kiley

Office

Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Welcome! The chair is the most vibrant furniture in the room with it's lively print and should serve as the springboard for the room's palette. pull a color for the walls which will best suit the room's lighting and size as well as a complimentary and contrasting backdrop to the furniture. View catalogs and stores carrying drapery for cues toward the feel you seek. roman shades are masculine and suitable for this space. A cornice could still be used if desired tho not essential.

Posts: 18679 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it possible to post add'l photos, including the entire room? Do you have sufficient space to float the desk with the shelving unit behind it for easy access?

Love your chair pattern but am concerned that the chevron competes with the rug's diamond pattern. If you want a masculine feel, how about a leather chair or darker solid for both comfort and durability? You can bring in plenty of pattern and color with fabrics, paint, etc.

WRT the window treatments, I'd pull in pattern/color with panels (possibly floor to ceiling) to enlarge your space. I'm sure you'll avoid lacy, frilly and feminine patterns together with certain colors, e.g. hot pink. Would stay solid on a cornice b/c they can be more difficult and time-consuming to change out.

Can the rug be centered? Everything appears and feels small in your 1 photo b/c it's jammed up against the walls. If the remainder of the room is storage, can that be relocated? If the room is strictly a dedicated office and well-organized, it may be more enjoyable to work in and increase productivity.

All of the above is JMHO.

Good Luck!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AguaBella,

Posts: 484 | Registered: Dec 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
does the office have to have more functions? example double for guest, or play space? while i like the chair, one on rollers might be easier on your back...could it be placed on the other side for seating?

Posts: 8531 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sarah Ann
posted Hide Post
I think it looks great just how it is. My only concern is the ergonomics of the placement of your computer screen. At that height you would have to really tilt your head back which will end up causing some severe neck problems. Computer monitors should be at eye level.

As for window coverings, some type of blinds either wooden or fabric would be most masculine. I would not do a cornice. Something like this:

-----------------------
Grandmas my name & spoilins my game!
------------------------

Posts: 1911 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Feb 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I simply love that chair. What a great look and match with the rug!
I wish I could help you with window treatment stuff but it just is not my thing.

Posts: 1675 | Registered: Sep 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post