Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Need opinion please..regarding closet/room divider...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need opinion please..regarding closet/room divider... Sign In/Join 
Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted
Most know I share the masterbedroom of my 2 bedroom condo with dd. We use 2 portable wood closets as a divider. The current closets are sorta junky but work.

I've toyed with the idea of actually putting up a real wall, but I think we are better off with using closets as a divider. But I'd like to get ones that are nicer, maybe a little taller if we are going to stick with the closet as the room divider solution.

I found these on CL but I'm thinking the dark color would be a bad choice. I already know taller cabinets are going to block more light in the room but I'm thinking if I am going to go with a taller cabinet, I should stick with either white or a light wood colored cabinet.

Do you think a dark color cabinet would make that much of difference or should I go with something lighter in color?

Posts: 9439 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is a picture of the closet dividers now.

Posts: 9439 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looking into master from hallway, you see the side of the closet, when you enter DD is on the right side of the room and I'm on the left.

Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I think that what you have now looks fine. If you need taller ones, then that is a different matter.

In reality, time goes so fast....your daughter will leave your home, and then you can make a more permanent solution. Get her a pretty daybed as planned, and the room will function well.

Posts: 3049 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I do get nicer, better closet pieces, I can still use them later down the road. Instead of used down the middle of room, they could be used against a wall like they normally are used.

I just need some feedback on whether it's a bad idea to go with dark colored pieces or not.

posted Hide Post
I think any time you go with darker wood it will make the space feel darker/smaller. With that being said, if you get a lot of light in the room and you paint walls to soften the dark it could work. I think for the space you have it would be a big dark thing in the middle of your room. I would go with white or something light toned. JMHO!

Posts: 721 | Registered: May 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wendek
posted Hide Post
I wonder two things... Ikea might have taller closets, have fun shopping there..

And, you could try hanging curtains like you have in front, from the ceiling to make it appear taller and make more separation. Use curtains to cover everything both the front and back of each closet you have there.

Posts: 4337 | Location: SF | Registered: Feb 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Although that room has a HUGE window, it still tends to be dark, so that was my concern with dark colored closets. Now if those pieces were white, I would get them in a heart-beat.

Wendek-those are actually from Ikea and yes Ikea closet pieces are generally tall. Ikea also carries LONG curtains that would work if I end up with closet pieces with no doors.

If I could dream up the perfect dividing closet, they would have sliding doors, double row hanging and maybe even a shelf on the bottom which could be made...but the "dream" part is that it wouldn't cost an arm and a leg!!

Picture of jovtfam4
posted Hide Post
You can pain them! We had a lovely darker armoir that we kept moving around because it was so dark. We finally just sucked it up and painted it a light pink for my daughter's room. It looks perfect and I don't regret it.

Sarah Richardson used kitchen cabinets to create a cool room divider in a basement. Both sides were functional, etc. Loved it.

Posts: 3363 | Registered: May 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about big storage baskets to put on top of the closet/divider you have. The stores have all different sizes. Then look for another curtain for your daughters side of the closet....Maybe a solid door of some kind...a door that slides across the clothes section to the blank section. Even a roll down shade might work...when you want to hide the clothes part.

love life

Posts: 1435 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've thought of baskets on top too of the ones I have currently also.

I also thought about painting the craiglist ones white, but to do it right, they should be sprayed which my brother could do but the reality of it is they would have to taken somewhere and prepped etc etc and then painted and then brought back to my place. I'd rather just buy them white. IF they were real wood, it would be worth all the work but these CL ones are Ikea particle wood or whatever they are made from.

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
Get something light colored. By your posts, I think you already know that is the right answer. Trust yourself.

Posts: 7086 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
ever heard the taller they are the harder they fall? some pieces like the cl ones arn't made to be free standing...so take that into consideration...either floor or ceiling reinforcement...

Posts: 8486 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post