Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  FRIDAY UPDATE--SEE DROP LEAF TABLE..., please see PIC....casters to a table? PIC
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FRIDAY UPDATE--SEE DROP LEAF TABLE..., please see PIC....casters to a table? PIC Sign In/Join 
Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted
What is the right term to use, wheels or casters?

I found a nice table that might work for my dining area but it needs more height. I was thinking possibly casters/wheels might work.

30 long, 15 deep and 27 3/4 HIGH...I would need it at least 2 inches taller. Not sure if wheels/caster would add enough height though.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Always1StepBehind,

Posts: 9425 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
http://www.vandykes.com/furniture-hardware/c/394/

try the link for Vandyke, the link takes you to wheels...

Good luck!

Posts: 9525 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Ruth:
http://www.vandykes.com/furniture-hardware/c/394/

try the link for Vandyke, the link takes you to wheels...

Thank you Mary Ruth.
Good luck!

Posts: 9425 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
IMO casters are just small wheels! Big Grin But more descriptive of what you are thinking of using.

Your table is 27 3/4" high so if you add 2" casters it will be 29 3/4" which is only 1/4" less than standard table height so should be a good solution. With casters it might make a nice serving table to move from the kitchen to the dining table.

Years ago we replaced the old, very worn, original casters on an antique dining table with modern ones. Not what some purists would do but it worked for us.

ETA - the type we used are found in every hardware and building supply store.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: joyluck,

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12581 | Location: north of 50 in Canada | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
What is the purpose of this table in the dining room? I was wondering if a tea cart may better suit that space since it has wheels.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18381 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Froo Froo:
What is the purpose of this table in the dining room? I was wondering if a tea cart may better suit that space since it has wheels.

desk/buffet Froo next to kitchen cabinets. Casters or wheels would only be to add height, not necessarily to actually roll the table around.

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
The lower shelf, even if table is heightened a few inches, would not make for a useable desk.

Posts: 18381 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Would a desk like this, fit your space?

http://www.amazon.com/Winsome-...keywords=narrow+desk

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Pass, you can do better. Looks way too much like a bedroom piece to me.

Posts: 1922 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Always, to answer your questions, yes you could add casters, but if a hole does not already exist for the caster one would have to be drilled and that would need a very precise hand. Other kinds of casters that are on a little plate would be too large (that is the plate would be) for the width of the table leg base.

IMHO you are still having an imperfect solution to your storage/utility type need with a small table/stand/cart etc. I think you need to look at the entire space from a greater perspective
than one need, one foot/or wall space, but that is only my opinion!

Posts: 12133 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not going to waste my time or energy on that piece I posted.

I do like the style of the 2nd one Froo posted. I'll keep looking. Thank you everyone for help.

posted Hide Post
ok. what do you think of this desk MINUS those weird shelves?

Here is the ad link with a couple other pictures.

Width is 39 inches which might be pushing it, I'd have to double check when I get home. But what are your thoughts on this desk?

http://sandiego.craigslist.org.../fuo/4044252929.html

posted Hide Post
Not really loving that desk, but in the event you should go for it, I wouldn't remove the shelves as they could give you need storage.

Posts: 3051 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do like it except it is too wide so I have to pass. It would fit but it would be too tight.

Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
have you done a search on "mini computer" desks?
does it have to be vintage piece? and are you using a pc or lap top?

Posts: 8479 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
What is the purpose of this desk? Is it to extend the countertop, to write bills, for storage or serving and/or for a PC? Indeed, these are important questions regarding style. Don't allow a bargain price cause you to make a mistake.

posted Hide Post
desk/buffet area, mostly to add some extra flat surface space.

I will use it for the desktop PC temporarily till we get a lap top and at that point I will move the printer (wireless) somewhere else in the house, so I don't want to buy something specifically for a computer. I am ok with the tower and printer sitting on the floor for now if need be.

Doesn't have to be vintage, but I am finding older antique type furniture is smaller and that is what I need for that space. It can be an actual desk, a sofa table, a kitchen cart, just depends on size and how it's configured.

posted Hide Post
Have you considered something wall mounted?
http://www.marinelock.com/Wall...Quick-Ship_p_21.html
http://www.treehugger.com/sust...away-wall-desks.html
You could paint it to blend in with the wall, or do it in a decorative colour.

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Have you considered something wall mounted?

Susan, IMHO Always has a lot of wall space that is not utilized. She could start with a desk like the Ikea $60 piece and then build around it.

The depth of the Ikea piece is so shallow that it should not interfere nearly as much as any of the floor pieces would.

posted Hide Post
What about something like this? Using corbels and a top piece?

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Actually Always, I was going to suggest a tempered glass shelf supported by corbels, but question it's use as a temporary PC /desk. As a buffet, it is a space-saver tho and attractive as well.

Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
if she went with tempered glass? pricey for sure, but durable....

Posts: 8479 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
What about something like this? Using corbels and a top piece?

Well that would work for display but not for a desk. What do you really need most that would have to go in this space?

Many moons ago when my sister and I lived in apts in the same complex we added shelf/counters to the long wall in our otherwise; unable to accommodate furniture, kitchens. Then I think she had one more similar to what you picture in the d.r. of her first home. But I thought you wanted a desk?

posted Hide Post
When I say "desk" I mean something you could use a keyboard on. I don't need something that you would need to sit for hours on end doing paperwork or anything, just something you can sit in front of and look up whatever on the computer. Like I said, eventually we'll have a laptop that can be put anywhere basically.

We can do that with the turquoise sofa table, that is why I wasn't worried about a bottom shelf or rung, we could get close enough with a chair without having to have a place to slide a chair in. Does that make sense.

If the piece were an actual small desk, that would be fine too. A drawer to put pens/pencils/scissors in...

I like the corbel idea, but for me to put something off like that, not sure if it would look good. I could see a nice small parsons style desk there..could pass for a desk space or a buffet space.

I also like the idea of a drop leaf table but would have to be very specific size, height etc.

posted Hide Post
I found this last night on CL. Plus a couple other desks, but I really like this drop leaf table.

18 1/2 deep with leafs down and 30 inches wide and I am assuming standard table height.

Here is the CL ad link if you want to see ad:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org.../atq/4043679200.html

posted Hide Post
I also found this desk for $30.

posted Hide Post
And this library desk for $45. I have an email into seller for dimensions.

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
The library desk would be cute for that area. Did you measure to see if it would work?

Posts: 4583 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply sofia..I guess no one had any thought on the drop leaf table. I have a email into seller for measurements of that 2nd desk.

I was in a antique/consignment shop this weekend and saw a small drop leaf table similar to that one above. It was a nice size but I am thinking of overall functionality of it. No shelf or drawer, only flat usable space and maybe space underneath to store a basket.

Then I looked at a small bookcase..it would only provide flat surface space and decorative open storage.

I'm thinking I should stick the a small desk desk or possibly a small cabinet. I saw a nice size cabinet at TJMaxx, with a drawer and two doors below. Something like that work for flat surface space, drawer storage for desk essentials, plus a coverage storage below.

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
I like the drop leaf table, if you had another spot for it.

Posts: 4583 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
go for the one with a drawer for storage...not buying that drop leaf is that old...

posted Hide Post
In the spot you are wanting to fill, I would have a shelf installed. Will be "laying down space" but no storage. I think anything with drawers or storage would look too crowded and bulky for your dining room end wall. Is there room for a small desk beside your armour (hall side)? Or maybe dining room side if the armour were pushed down a little. Otherwise I would bring back your little aqua credenza and let is be.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: May,

love life

Posts: 1422 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by May:
In the spot you are wanting to fill, I would have a shelf installed. Will be "laying down space" but no storage. I think anything with drawers or storage would look too crowded and bulky for your dining room end wall. Is there room for a small desk beside your armour (hall side)? Or maybe dining room side if the armour were pushed down a little. Otherwise I would bring back your little aqua credenza and let is be.

I am trying to add the flat surface next to the kitchen, not relocate desk area.

posted Hide Post
I understand. IMHO, I was just afraid that anything you put in the corner next to the kitchen will look crowded. You have your living room and dining room looking so nice. Love your sectional.

love life

Posts: 1422 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post