Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  bookcase/armoire enclosure - Paint ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

bookcase/armoire enclosure - Paint ? Sign In/Join 
Picture of Kimber
posted
Hi all,

I'm going to try to explain this best I can. I don't have a picture, but I have a link to one that is similar to my situation. I hope its ok I put it on this message.

We have a new home that has what I call a TV nook, like this one http://images-81.har.com/e1/me...y/81/hr3100781-9.jpg.

This is an area in the wall that is recessed, that you could put an armoire into, or maybe build a nice built in bookcase.

So, we have decided to go with an armoire that we already have that fits the spot almost perfectly, leaving about 3 inches on each side.

My question is around painting. I have this idea of painting the insides of the nook a shade darker brown than the armoire to help conceal the armoire.

My concern is seeing the white wall alongside the unit and it taking away from the beauty of the piece and creating the illusion that the piece is actually built in.

I hope I have phrased my question so you can in vision with me what I am talking about. What do y'all think?

I can't find this done anywhere on the net, maybe my whole idea is rubbish.

Thanks Smile
Kimber

Posts: 6 | Registered: Feb 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Hi. Three inches on each side isn't much. You could opt to paint the walls of this recess an accent color that will be in a degree of contrast to the armoire and will enhance vs detract from it. This color could merely be a darker value of the wall color or an accent color that should be found elsewhere in your room furnishings or fabrics. Personally, I would use the darker value of the wall color keeping a degree of contrast to the wood stain in mind.

Another option might be to frame out the recess in beefy trim with mitered corners and paint the trim to coincide with the room trim. Granted, the beefy trim may not close the gap entirely, nor should it. It should frame the armoire and close in the gap somewhat. The armoire will remain a free standing piece of "art" and not a built in. This option is doable if your space is anything but contemporary.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18386 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
You explained it very well. I think you should try painting the nook the darker shade and see how it looks. It sounds like a good solution to me. Smile

Posts: 7969 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kimber
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replys! I will send pics when its done :

Posts: 6 | Registered: Feb 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I found a couple of pics of armoires in recessed areas that I will post.

I am going to suggest that you don't paint the interior of the recess a shade darker than the armoire. The last thing you want is for it to appear that you have a dark outline around the armoire.

I think it would look best to leave the wall painted the same color as the surrounding wall.

Second best would be to paint the recess the same color as the armoire. That would blend in the three inch gap and make the gap look less obvious, if you are worried about the gap. Personally I would not worry about the gap.

Posts: 7076 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
Another example.

Posts: 7076 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
I love the look of the top one. That is how I envisioned Kimber's looking.

Posts: 7969 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post