Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  tented ceiling advice asked
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

tented ceiling advice asked Sign In/Join 
Picture of lady of shallot
posted
I have always love the effect of striped fabric or paper put on a ceiling to give a tented effect.

Now I am considering doing that in this attic dormer space.

Until last winter this space was just basically open to the outside. Not really but only the roof shingles kept it from being open. Naturally there was major heat loss even in this unheated space. Decided to have that foam insulation sprayed on. but I do not like the way it looks when I thought I would.

What about stapling striped fabric in this space, sort of circus like looking? I am the sort of person who would like matching up stripes.

Any advice or opinion here?

Posts: 12138 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The shingles were nailed to these boards. House built before they used plywood for siding.

Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted Hide Post
Do you mean attach fabric to the ceiling beam and then let it sag some and than attach to that wood piece on top of the wall?

Or do you want to have the fabric lay flat on the ceiling but in a striped pattern?

Posts: 9426 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I would drywall it and then paper it in stripe wallpaper if this is the tent look you desire.

Posts: 18382 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
I was just going to suggest drywall. It'll keep the room much warmer. You can wallpaper the ceiling, in that way, you won't have to mud the seams.

Wanda

Posts: 4798 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
I vote for drywall too!

Posts: 9526 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks ladies but I do not have the capability to do drywall work and DH would never agree to do it. (see those funny angles?)

And since it is a strictly cosmetic purpose we would not hire it done (nobody wants to work with those angles.)

My idea was to staple fabric (blindly) on to the wooden pieces. I would not want it to sag but be rigid. But maybe that is not possible.

I did look for striped fabric when we were out today but not exhaustively and maybe at 79 I might not want to tackle this if it presents too many problems!

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
With a heavy duty staple gun in hand, a wide cabana stripe fabric, a sturdy ladder, a strong neck (you'll soon tire of looking up), and a patient partner to assist, it is doable to stretch and secure fabric from beam to beam. Start by stapling the fabric in the middle of each beam and work your way toward the corners.

Posts: 18382 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
You might invest in one of these and paint wide cabana stripes on it or find a fabric version. Some sporting good stores carry the fabric type vendors use.

http://www.gardenwinds.com/uni...t-canopy-p-2795.html

posted Hide Post
If you decide to try this project, I will give you an interesting tip shared with me by my wallpaper installer. Get one of those neck braces used for whiplash injuries and wear it while working on the ceiling. It gives your neck a resting place and you won't get so sore. I know, it sounds very strange but he swears by it.

By the way, I think your idea sounds very lovely. I hope you decide to do it!

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I like it the way it is. I would remove the corona above the bed in order to draw the eye downward. Then you could use your energies in other ways!

Posts: 3031 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
I think it would look great but doing it in place would be too hard for me. I have done this before but with cream colored cotton gauze.
I bought 4 x 8 sheets of thin plywood. With the boards on the floor I measured, cut, gathered and stapled the material to the lightweight boards. If your material is not see-through you could even use pegboard. When your stripes are all lined up and stapled, you then attach the boards to your wood beams with screws. Use a folded strip of material to cover your seams.
I'm sure this was done above this bed.

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
To make it even lighter, just staple the fabric to a 1"x4" top and bottom while on the floor, and then attach the 1x4's to your beams. Or you could staple the fabric BEHIND decorative crown molding and put it up that way.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zone9alady,

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is that your bedroom Zone lady? If so that is very gorgeous really most definitely magazine ready/worthy

That is an excellent plan for doing a treatment as shown in the photograph.

However my idea (to honor the history of the house) is to leave the rafters visible. I have another idea bout this and am going to check it out.

Grapefruit. I took the pictures with the camera pointed upward so the ceiling is truly featured. I don't want to remove the mosquito netting as that says "summer" although not strictly necessary where we have screens on in the summer. This space is only used when grands stay with us and that is mostly in the summer!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lady of shallot,

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
It is a beautiful bedroom, but it is not mine. DH would find it too frilly for him. I wouldn't mind having it as a guest room if I had the space.

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
LOS,
Have you considered using drop cloths? You can pick them up rather inexpensively, work one panel at at a time... and you can paint on them for a pattern, or as someone suggested, painting stripes first before hanging fabric.

Drop cloths are not white, so that is only if you wanted a beige type ceiling with color added by paint.

I thought of covering foam core to insert between boards and then holding up with molding on the sides, but that won't take care of the length.

1/2 wallboard would work the same way, not as heavy as regular sheetrock. You could work on one (between beams) section at a time. This would also work without fabric and you would just paint it.

Of course you have an artist in residence, so he could paint a sky ceiling for you on the parts you do in between beams.... like looking through the beams to the sky.

Even if you do nothing, your room is already going to be warmer next winter!

Good luck with your project!

Posts: 9526 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
beleive me unless you have about 3-4 helpers and can forget stripes, DON"T do fabric! dh and ds1 did plain fabric and it looks aweful...the idiots who did ds1's heater ducts messed up big time...so they thought fabric would suffice....NOT...
if you have any allergies i don't suggest it either..we had done a sheet wall...it was pretty till we started sneezing...(behind the bed)

Posts: 8479 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post