Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Shore House - Before & Afters
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shore House - Before & Afters Sign In/Join 
posted
Since returning to work full-time last year, I rarely find time to stop by the boards. I'm home sick today so thought I would check in and share a couple of before and after pics of our vacation (and possible retirement home) that we bought last year. We paid the POs $500 for the contents of the house including the furniture and appliances. This was a great deal for us and saved us from having to buy all new, or used, when we moved in. Over the past year, we have made some purchases, but mostly out of necessity since we are on a very tight budget. The work we have done is primarily repainting, which is very budget friendly.

This is the living room. We removed the border and repainted, cleaned the carpet and hung new WTs. Since the house has only two bedrooms and I have a big family, we also purchased a sleeper sofa and chair for our younger guests.

Posts: 3984 | Location: Boothwyn, PA | Registered: Aug 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This before & after photo shows the bathroom. Again we removed the border and repainted. We probably spent the most money in here. The water is supplied by a well and has a high iron content. The POs failure to install a water treatment system caused iron stains in the sink. The faucet and trap were corroded, so we also replaced them. We also installed a new medicine cabinet and painted it to match the vanity. The light fixture and toilet seat Smile are also new. I learned in the process that if you have a toilet in any American Standard color, you can purchase replacement seats in the fashion colors online from Home Depot.

Posts: 3984 | Location: Boothwyn, PA | Registered: Aug 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is a close-up of the vanity before and after. Its amazing (at least to me) how a couple of coats of paint and new hardware transformed the vanity.

posted Hide Post
And lastly, this is the master bedroom. We painted and installed new WTs. Although we didn't intend to replace the carpets so soon, the first time we vacuumed, the carpeting fell apart, so we had no choice but to replace it both bedrooms. We still need the correct rods and the curtains have to be rehung in here. After we find some wall decor, we will reposition the bed. Almost forgot - we found these candlestick lamps in different rooms of the house. DH painted them and we added new shades and they are perfectly serviceable. Same story with the night tables, except we haven't decided yet if/what color to paint them.

Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
Wow, everything looks great! Glad you are back.

Posts: 7968 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your vacation/retirement home!

Love the changes you've made so far, paint is a miracle worker. It looks fresh and beachy, a perfect gathering place.

Posts: 2804 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: Mar 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted Hide Post
Great pic's. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 9425 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you shared your updates with us. It's amazing the difference that fresh paint and some re-styling did.

Posts: 1721 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oldhouselover, sorry you are home sick today, but very glad you shared your before and after photos. Like all that you have done.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6166 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
Wow, Oldhouseluvr! What a great example of how decluttering, simplifying, and new paint can make a world of difference. Great job!

Posts: 7074 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Skyler
posted Hide Post
OHL, these are some of my favorite types of threads....before and afters! It really is amazing what a big difference small changes can make. Of course, all of your changes weren't that small but they definitely made a huge difference.

I hope you're enjoying your vacation home and feel better soon.

Posts: 10396 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Jun 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all! Feeling well enough to return to work tomorrow. I would much rather hang out here. Smile

Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Nice clean up and organizing job! Place looks fresh! Sorry you were not feeling good today, I see you have recovered! Smile Thanks for sharing!

Posts: 9525 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of busyjo
posted Hide Post
Love your updates! Always glad to hear from you and to know what you are currently working on.

Posts: 1615 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: Apr 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Fabulous OHL. What a great transformation. I want to move to the shore, what a treat that would be.
Don't go back to work, it's more fun here. Smile

Posts: 4583 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice job. I love the shore, I'm coming to visit!

Posts: 1922 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
wow...I DID remember this project and wow, the place is looking great. I too am a huge fan of the power of paint. I generally don't fret if a paintable surface is initially the wrong color. Thanks for sharing, welcome back and get well.

Posts: 18381 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Very nice redo! Everything looks fresh and comfy!

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of my2gals
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Posts: 874 | Registered: Nov 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
It's looks really good. It's amazing what paint can do Smile

Wanda

Posts: 4795 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Christmas Candy
posted Hide Post
Amazing progress!
It is all looking very fresh and shore-like!!

Glad you are feeling better.
Candy

Posts: 1245 | Location: CO | Registered: Dec 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Fun to see the difference in the before and afters. Love what a bucket of paint does for refreshing everything!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9313 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
yum-o! add a couple of air mattress, for the overflow...you've made wonderful changes...

Posts: 8479 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jovtfam4
posted Hide Post
Nice, simple updates!

Posts: 3363 | Registered: May 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of out on a limb
posted Hide Post
glad this got bumped up - beautiful changes!!! Yes, it is amazing the changes that can happen w/ a simple coat of paint!!!

~~~becca~~~~

Posts: 5532 | Location: dayton ohio | Registered: Jul 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post