Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  The cost to have slipcovers made....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The cost to have slipcovers made.... Sign In/Join 
Picture of theoriginalfluffy
posted
I got a quote on getting slipcovers made for some club chairs. They are smaller, no loose cushions, so it would be a one piece cover. $400 per chair plus the cost of fabric. Oh my! I had started to try to make it myself and now I have motivation to keep trying. Once I can create the pattern for the first chair, the second will be a snap.

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hammerhugger
posted Hide Post
If I had some chairs that needed a slipcover, I would certainly give it a try myself. I think if you fit the pieces on and pin as you go, you can do a pretty good job of getting it right. There are patterns in the books for doing basic chairs too.

My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds.
--Mel Weldon

Posts: 5561 | Location: Arizona, in the valley | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
there are several good You tube tutorials on making slipcovers, and I have found patterns on various auction sites at far less cost than in stores.

It's worth it to try and do it yourself, especially since the "custom made" slipcovers 've seen don't look like the best workmanship around.

I bought a set of patterns for under $20 and am looking for appropriate fabric myself.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1517 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Good luck!!

Posts: 4590 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Have you priced reupholstering? If you can get the fabric on sale, you might have the same outcome (chairs redone) but with a longer lasting solution!

Good luck with your project.

Posts: 9535 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
That is what I would have thought too (price I mean)

I made this sofa slipcover after machine quilting the fabric first. A very difficult job. And my only attempt.

My advice would be to make sure you preshrink everything that is going into the finished product. That is if you plan to wash the slipcover.

I don't think I made a pattern. Just fitted the pieces to the sofa and pinned. But it was a long time ago.

Posts: 12222 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of theoriginalfluffy
posted Hide Post
You did a great job, LOS. It looks really well done.

I could get the chairs reupholstered but I thought that the slipcovers would be a less expensive option.

I had started laying things out and cutting/pinning fabric pieces but I have a hard time finishing things. That's why I thought if I could just pay someone to do it, it would be done. But that price is pretty steep. I was thinking maybe $200 each. I have a cousin who is a good seamstress--wish she lived closer!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: theoriginalfluffy,

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post