Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  I just can't decide...Update 8/18
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I just can't decide...Update 8/18 Sign In/Join 
Picture of lilsophie
posted
So you all need to make my decision for me. lol
As you all know I have the JCP Linden Street Slipcovered sofa. The slipcovers are on sale. (I'm still not sure if the line is being discontinued or not).
Anyways the slipcovers are on sale at 40% off, until 4/6.
I have the Natural color slipcover (which I love). Also have the Tan print and the Butter color slipcover.
I want another slipcover in case they are being discontinued.
Should I buy a replacement in the Natural, because I love it. Or go with Tan Stripe which is cute too.
Please give your opinions, I appreciate them
Here are two pics of the natural and the tan stripe.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lilsophie,

slipcover

Posts: 4751 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
The Tan Stripe.

my pictures

Posts: 4751 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. Go with the natural because it is a replacement and you love it.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Jun 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Both are very nice but the natural is more versatile.

Posts: 12768 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I'd do the natural in case they ARE discontinued. If they aren't and they do another sale, THEN you could get the tan stripe. But I would rather have a spare in reserve if there are no more to be had.

Martha

Posts: 6046 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If they are indeed being discontinued, the natural will be the first to go. I would get one of those and if budget permits, buy the stripe one.

Posts: 805 | Registered: Jul 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
I think you all are right. Think I will get the spare natural cover.
I knew I could count on you all Smile

Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
quote:
Think I will get the spare natural cover.

Good choice. The solid ivory is always my 1st choice but would be fun to pick up the ticking stripe sometime in the future.

Posts: 8007 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Yes I wish I could get both. We shall see, have to see what DH says,. lol
They may be being discontinued, that's what I heard, but don't know 100%. It seems they are not getting restocked. Saleslady at the furniture outlet store told they were discontinued. That's why I hate waiting.

Picture of Sonny Dayz
posted Hide Post
I adore the tan stripe Sophie..

I hope you were able to get the ones you wanted.

to see my projects view my Blog.
http://155dreamlane.blogspot.com/

Posts: 9988 | Location: NC ~zone 7B | Registered: Jun 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Haven't purchased either yet. Still thinking. Wish they were less expensive. Since the prices seemed to have doubled, I'm still in look mode. lol

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
As with most purchase decisions in life, your first instinct is the best answer. The good news is that both are neutral. Also, if they go on sale within a week or so, many stores honor the sale price. Check with JCP to learn their policies regarding a price adjustment.

Posts: 18698 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sonny Dayz
posted Hide Post
I just left the jcp site and there are 100's of comments about folks having bought that furniture in because they were assured of being able to purchase slipcovers in the future. For now the strip cover is all they have and people//rightfully so// are going ballistic about this fact.. also the Sale is for 302.00~!! if thats a slipcover sale I wouldnt want to see the regular price.. jcp has ruined themselves and I personally wouldnt give them one red copper penny of my money.. they better get their act together or just shut the doors.

good luck Sophie.

Posts: 9988 | Location: NC ~zone 7B | Registered: Jun 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sonny Dayz:
I just left the jcp site and there are 100's of comments about folks having bought that furniture in because they were assured of being able to purchase slipcovers in the future. For now the strip cover is all they have and people//rightfully so// are going ballistic about this fact.. also the Sale is for 302.00~!! if thats a slipcover sale I wouldnt want to see the regular price.. jcp has ruined themselves and I personally wouldnt give them one red copper penny of my money.. they better get their act together or just shut the doors.

good luck Sophie.

I hear ya Sonny. I'm so disappointed in JCP. They raised their prices so much. You know when I bought my slipcovered sofa I only paid $699.00 for it. Now they want $1695.00 for it. And $995.00 on sale. It's outrageous. They want more for the slipcovers then I paid for my whole sofa.
I'm sure their doors will close soon Frown
That's why I need to get those covers. Oh and I read if you put in this skew # more colors of slipcovers show up. I did it and viola. Don't know why the secret...ridiculous.

Picture of Sonny Dayz
posted Hide Post
you might try ebay Sophie.. thats one only other place I've found things the original seller discontinues selling. I have gotten things off ebay that ballards and pottery barn no longer has for sale..

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
quote:
you might try ebay Sophie.. thats one only other place I've found things the original seller discontinues selling. I have gotten things off ebay that ballards and pottery barn no longer has for sale..

Sonny, Ebay is where I bought my 2 other colors of slipcovers. Got them for a great price and they were brand new. But I have been looking everyday on Ebay for weeks, and no sofa slipcovers as of yet.

posted Hide Post
Sophie, I MAY have a coupon (if it hasn't expired). Will look tonight when I get home and give you the code. They usually work on the sale items also.

Posts: 650 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: Apr 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tuesday:
Sophie, I MAY have a coupon (if it hasn't expired). Will look tonight when I get home and give you the code. They usually work on the sale items also.

That's awesome Tuesday....THANKS

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Don't blame JCP or any other company for a sharp rise in retail prices entirely. There are lots of issues that impact the rise such as the rise in cotton prices, weather, oil prices, code changes, middlemen, source of manufacturing, company profit margin, factory upgrades or new gov't regulations, etc.. You can still be a wise shopper to stretch your dollars.

FYI, I once bought my mother a pretty wool winter coat at JCP that I had seen in another retail chain for much, much more. The coats were identical in every way, but JCP's was much less even at full cost.

You can always wait for a clearance sale, but that is a huge gamble. Even then, Overstock.com and ebay won't assure you that you'll find the identical item. Keep in mind that the item you are hesitant to obtain a replacement for is in essence custom, but probably less costly then to have replicated by an independent slipcover company which will probably charge you much more in the long run.

Posts: 18698 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
I still haven't decided, because I'm so indecisive Frown
I just dont know, my fav is natural. But don't know if I would even need another one. It's just DH and I. Mine is a few yrs old and still clean.
I can never make decisions, ridiculous....uuuggg

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
If it were me, I would buy a replacement now and probably the plain one. I feel that the upholstery generally wears before the cushions on a sofa. Wait too long and you may have trouble finding another to fit. That being said, that's my take, but only you can decide.

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Thanks Froo, that's exactly what I should do.

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Well guess what. I went ahead tonight and ordered the Tan Stripe. Hope I didn't make the wrong decision, because tonight they go off sale. I hope I love it, if not it goes back.
Hopefully later if they still have them I can get another Natural cover.

Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
Sounds like fun! I think you will like it. Smile

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
And I wake up this morning and the covers are still on sale. What the heck, said they ended 8/6. Good grief.

Hope so Annie, I decided I wanted to see if I liked it on my sofa. My dil also said, give it a try, she liked it too. Can always return it. Smile

Picture of happymommyof5
posted Hide Post
Tan Stripe for sure!!! Wink

Posts: 226 | Registered: Sep 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Ok I bought the Tan Stripe Slipcover. I started to put it on, to see if I loved it. After putting on 2 of the seat covers, I decided to just lay the other ones on there. No reason to put the whole set on if I didn't LOVE it.
I'm just not sure if I love it. I can't decide. I don't want to keep it if I don't.
Do I need to put the whole set on to get the final picture?
Opinions please. In real life the stripes look more bold. You can't tell by the picture really. Wanted you to realize that,.

Well hold on I seem to be having problems posting pictures again Frown

my pictures

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Well I decided to put the whole slipcover on to get a better idea. What a work out it is to get these things on. But they fit like a glove, which is a good thing.
Another picture to come shortly, lol

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Ok here is the sofa with the slipcover fully on. I'm still not sure about it.....sigh
Like I said earlier, the fabric of bolder in color in real life. Or the problem could be is that the fabric is too busy for me. Maybe that's why I'm hesitant about keeping it.

my pictures

Picture of paintlady
posted Hide Post
Personally I like the stripe slipcover. It's a nice change.

Posts: 9011 | Registered: Jul 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Hi Paintlady, good to see you. That's another vote for the stripe Smile

Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
The striped covers look terrific. They will provide a versatile neutral backdrop for all kinds of colorful pillows and throws. Mix and match prints, solids and textures.

Great choice!

Posts: 5309 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
I really like it but if you are hesitant just try living with it for a few days and then decide. Anything new always stands out to us for a time. Smile

Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by annie17:
...just try living with it for a few days and then decide. Anything new always stands out to us for a time. Smile

Indeed! Very good advice.

Posts: 5309 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ladies. I will live with it for a week, and see how I feel. Makes my living room look so different. Instead of soft and serene, it looks busy busy busy LOL...Maybe it's just me. My DH likes it.

Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
I really like the stripe and since you have the neutral one as well as 2 others your neutral one will last a very long time so why have 2? With 4 different slipcovers you can have lots of variety in your decor. IMO the striped one is more sophisticated than the plain one.

I'm really impressed with how well these fit.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12750 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of busyjo
posted Hide Post
Another LIKE for the stripe. I think it would be a good choice to use in winter. Still neutral but cozy.

Posts: 1635 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: Apr 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted Hide Post
From your picture, I like how the striped slipcover looks. But I understand how things can look different in real life in your space. If every time you walk in that room and it makes you squirm or question whether you like it or not, take it back. especially if you find yourself trying to talk yourself into it.

Posts: 9630 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Joyluck, they do fit perfectly. I love this sofa too, it's very comfy. They did also have some velvet covers, but they have been discontinued unfortunately. Wish I would have picked up one, but never got around to it.

Busyjo and Always. Thanks for replying. Always love everyones opinions Smile

Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
I'm not usually big on stripes, but I like the cover. So another yes vote on the stripes.

Wanda

Posts: 4866 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
I also like the stripe, but it is really how you like the slip cover that counts.

Good luck with your final decision.

Posts: 12768 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Still trying to get used to it lol
I will give it all week. When my DIL comes over this week I will see what she says about it. Everyone seems to like it, maybe I'm just not a stripe person. I'm just so picky...sigh...

Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
lilsophie, I like the stripe but maybe you aren't totally feeling it because it may not work in your room.
Have you tried adding different pillows to see if that makes a difference?
Can you take a pic farther back so we can see it with the new artwork?
Truthfully, if it's not making you smile when you walk in the room, you need to return it.

Posts: 2829 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: Mar 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Annie here is another picture for you and everyone. See what you think. My dil just saw it and says she loves it.

my pictures

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Here is a close up

my pictures

Picture of Sonny Dayz
posted Hide Post
jmhp..Smile

I think it looks fabulous and its perfect with your table and shutters. gives the room a very Elegant Cottage look..

I agree with maybe different pillows and if ya email me a pic of the sofa in your room and then go find some pillows online you like- I'll sit them on there for yaSmile so you can see how they'd actually look..

just copy/paste this to an email

l55dreamlane@aol.com dont type it.. copy/paste it

in fact several of ya find some pillows and we'll have a pillow party.

Picture of Sonny Dayz
posted Hide Post
Sophie..

do you have anymore of that fabric you put in the frames??

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Yes I have more fabric Sonny.

Picture of Sonny Dayz
posted Hide Post
maybe take a piece and wrap it around that black floral pillow you have laying there and then the white ones on each end.. just to see..

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
quote:
maybe take a piece and wrap it around that black floral pillow you have laying there and then the white ones on each end.. just to see..

Ok Sonny I will do that. BTW it's a brown pillow. Bummer that the colors look different on everyones monitors.