Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Book art Sign In/Join 
posted
Can you help me with ideas to create a special decorating item for a book collection? I am very fond of an Irish writer who died last year and because her books were part of many moments in my life I would like to create some kind of a special decorating piece with 15 of her pocket books. Does anyone have a cool idea?
Thank you
B-

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
gosh..i have book cases everywhere, lol...but a small one next to a reading chair, might be very nice...or maybe near or next to your bed for nights when need a good book...

did a quick search and look at several I found on one site....
http://www.overstock.com/Home-...mtrckid=17394at10470

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sjf,

Posts: 8559 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Are the paper back books all the same size? Do you want to keep them so they can be read again? Do you want to display them permanently or temporarily?

This is one idea we used in our home. The intention was not to actually display the books (these are just the ends of the books) but to achieve a trompe l'oeil with the regular book shelves.

For other book displays, we just shelve the books together.

The theme of her books would determine how & where they are displayed to me. For instance if they are romance novels, I might put them in a bedroom. If they are travel in a den or family room. Cook books, would be near the kitchen.

If you want them isolated and really eye catching probably on a shelf by themselves (no other books) but with a decorative item or two or three that would indicate Ireland or maybe a theme from her writing.

You could also display them on a sort of message board type arrangement. Three across and five down, with the faces showing. They could be held in place with crisscrossed ribbons and the whole arrangement fastened to the wall.

Posts: 12952 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Some ideas, tho I question the "cool" factor follow....

Use unique bookends to display the collection prominently on a sofa table. Hang a handsomely framed photo of the author above this table.

Hang floating shelves and display rows of the books with covers facing forward.

Check out cool contemporary shelving at places like IKEA or www.uncommongoods.com to call attention to your collection.

Photocopy and enlarge pics of the covers of your favorite books and have them transferred to canvas as unique wall art. Check the web for sources.

Place some under glass in a shadowbox type table while displaying the rest tabletop.

Posts: 18733 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
This DIY shelving display is sure to draw the eye and is a real conversation piece...

http://www.instructables.com/id/Inverted-Bookshelf/

Posts: 18733 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Display them in three wall cubes.

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post

Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
I've always liked what is called the 'invisible bookshelf' made from a book or books - see google images link below. Since the author was Irish you could also frame a map of Ireland or a picture that is obviously of the country to hang above the books.

https://encrypted.google.com/s...&tbm=isch&tbs=imgo:1

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12750 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
You could also easily make a wall shelf using a picture frame for these special books. My DH made this wall shelf from a yard sale picture frame and some wood.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12750 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post