Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Fireplace makeover Need Help choosing surround tile to tie room together!!! :)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fireplace makeover Need Help choosing surround tile to tie room together!!! :) Sign In/Join 
Picture of GreenAlice
posted
Ok so former owner did this 'cept he painted grey on brick on surround....with ugly imho grey marble slab running pink and black streaks...in fact he did WHOLE house in grey...sigh but one bathroom. Now? 20+ yrs later, GreenAlice wants to rid home of greyness and make it her own. This is my 18 X 12 Family Room...the only living area....walk way from front door faces this firesplace...so must be functional as well as my "great" room. I am into Refined Rustic. I like many of the mission, craftsman, lodge type looks but not to the extreme.

Here is BEFORE....the terracotta star over fireplace is staying and part of the redo theme.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GreenAlice,

"Nature does not hurry yet everything is accomplished." - Lao Tau
"There is more to life than increasing it's speed." - Gandhi

<>< Hebrews 13:2

Posts: 7374 | Registered: Feb 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
oops that is with my play tiles mocked up on hearth...here is the before hearth... Roll Eyes

Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
WWanda I really liked your refacing idea for spraying your doors to save **$...but had already ordered below and don't like the trim on my shiny brass one....so ignore shiny brass peekingout at top of piece...it has a bottom railing not out.

Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
And THIS is the mantel I want to have built to fit...just the lower part not upper, my home isn't that grand for such scale! Wink

Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
I really don't want to introduce a strong color because of the other hues in room...

Carpet...

Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
L shaped Calico Corners sectional couch in this...which faces fireplace...

Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
Possible throw pillows....

Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
more

Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
and so far these distressed brown black wooden frames with national parks photos of places we like...so will be lots of contrast in terra cotta and darker woods....

Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
Todays ripout...SO What do YOU see happening between my glass doors and mantel surround?!?! Big Grin

Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
And my inspiration...thus the star....and paint colors and herringbone caramel on sectional....thinking some lanterns on mantle maybe....sigh....love these colors...... Cool

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Hi Green, I love the wooden mantel front and think the bricks are fine. Your selection of the wooden face sort of is effective enough without the stone surround competing for attention.

I like the runner and the matching (?) pillow and prefer them to the more cottagy looking ones, that is for what you are striving for.

My final opinion is this. . . go for the star since that is your strong preference, but for its companion pieces, don't lock yourself in. IMHO a mantel piece should change very often, so collect a number of accessories that you like and switch them out when the spirit moves you.

Posts: 12936 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
Looks like you're off to a good start and so far, I like your choices.

Keep us posted!

Wanda

Posts: 4866 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
Thanks Lady and WW....today I went to play at tile store and showed her all my things....she actually suggested similar in terms of not trying to have that compete for center stage but have something more blend with paints...she likes a limestone 2 X 4 like mantel above except that is more bling and sparkle, think it's glass? It would provide some eye candy for pattern pick up the rectangles of my mission mantel and doors...and tie with creamy and kilim beige in variations of those two colors. When I brought home it blends super well...in fact maybe TOO well...but I am warming to that look for face of surround...will see what tileman thinks...Wink. I guess I think if it blends so well it will be backdrop and less impact which makes Terra Cotta Star center...

I am considering some leather throw pillows and ottoman down the road, and the stripy pillows are maybes...the large ones are euro pillows I got for the kids to have on the floor!(clearance at PB) The leaf paisley are staying because they match star exactly and make me think of the outdoors subtle lodge inflection. You are right though the stripey ones are more cottagey. Plus sectional is coming with 3 little matching herringbone pillows to boot.

So might go check out any other option in same tile size....it mimics traditional brick lines but is more up to date imo. AND doesn't fight with my weathered rustic hearth tiles which have a washed tones of that color too! Smile Will have to take a pic.

Ooops I deleted a few pics above when I went to add something...will fix later.

DH is bout done painting...he got my 1950's recessed bookshelf on opposite wall (36X39tall)
opened up previous dude covered it and we had a lump last two decades!!! Eek (used to be covered by a quilt...)Wink

Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
Oh and the existing brick won't do because the new doors are a bit larger all around and the lip off the edge of brick is recessed 1/2 inch...so to get proper scale I need to cover....or tweak my mantel to fit, BUT since I am paying someone to make one anyhow...I might as well get the scale and shape I want! Big Grin RIGHT?!

Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
Today I also picked up 2 more frames in case I decide on doing 6....the length of sectional on that wall is 115 inches...currently those frames are imagined centered to a rectangle of 42" maybe 6 might fill the space better. It will be across from a 108" picture window maybe with woven wood blinds and may help balance that for scale...weathered wood frames from BBB

Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
My DS thinks I should off set them with one of these jackalopes on a plaque.... Razz Big Grin

Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
And you are right Lady, the kilim print on rug and pillow do not match per se...except in style...but both have hues of the room AND my thought is that neither is seen at same time as runner runs behind sectional(yet to come) from front door inset to dining area and throw pillow is intended for inside corner of sectional where you cannot view the rug behind. If both were in same visual plane I would digress keeping the rug....I had a $25 coupon for PB and splurged on this pillow to see how it fits in when couch arrives.

Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
Today I went back and she said I could change color a hue darker with special sealant and also gave me a more creamy mixed tone 1 X 2 tiles that may show more detail since with glass doors my surround won't be all that large.
Both are smooth but not shiny tiles. I am considering also looking at tumbled travertine in both sizes...thinking it might look better with overall theme of the room?

Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
I like the travertine best Smile

Wanda

Posts: 4866 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
Thanks Wanda...I do too at this point...the above is not my sample, it is not tumbled either but I ordered online a few like above to play with. Tilegal said I should go smooth because I already have tumbled below on hearth...well it is a distressed weathered tile below but I am thinking a rather tumbled travertine that picks up the light tones of hearth tile and coordinates with more differeniation than the tooooo matchy matchy limestone may look better. I also like this 1X3 which I think is more similar to inspiration mantel above....so will get samples and be able to google them better once hearth is in place.

Picture of crayon
posted Hide Post
GreenAlice, I like the direction you are headed. The terracotta star against the wall color looks great, and I like the new fireplace doors. Of the pillows you posted, I definitely like the first picture better than the one with the striped pillows for your space. The first pillow looks better I think with your rug and sofa fabrics. The black and white framed photos will look nice as well.

And I agree with your DS. You should definitely keep the jackalope! Wink Smile

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Mar 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your input Crayon! Don't laugh but I do like subtle touches of whimsy in a space...the jackalope is cute, and I told DS if it were a stuffed animal mockup maybe but I detest animal heads per se in Lodge style rooms as well as hides...ewww....he replied but Mom it IS a stuffed animal... Roll Eyes. I had been bidding on a bw print of Mt Rushmore that had a earforceone...a Mickey Mouse hot air ballon floating by....for whimsy but missed out. The rest are Ansel Adam prints but I found a photographer online who took my MT Rushmore...

My inspiration room's monochromatic look features victorian inspired accents('cept maybe that star) and my accents will be more rustic lodge infusion. No rusty things or bears or too many pineconey things....here are some of my frames for my bookshelf as well as well darn...a pinecone decor thing....oops I contradicted self!! :P Big Grin

Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
WWanda I got the sample of this Durango Cream Tumbled Travertine yesterday....unlike the one above its more smooth and not as holey....I think it picks up wall paint mantel paint color AND nomadic desert and Latte the two colors on same strip down from my wall color of Kilim Beige. I think it compliments the paint yet is seperate enough to carry a subtle pattern in the small surround area. Plus it's more rustic aged looking that goes with hearth tile being sort of weathered looking too. What do you think?!?! I got 5 more samples coming in 2 X4 and 1 X 3 but thinking 1 X 3 or 1 X 2 will be better fit otherwise the subway style mosaic won't be as evident on sides of surround. Cool

Picture of GreenAlice
posted Hide Post
Got someone to build my dream mantel....WOO HOO!
Now frantically trying to decide tile surround...Tileshop man suggested this, and while it is little rectangles he said he often does not grout it because its so dense and the colors? They go with everything in room....going to get more samples and play....I like the one above too but it's more blend with paint colors and doesn't pick out other hues this has it all....it seems more fitting with my rustic undertones...and looks more natural than something honed imho...
What do you think? I keep looking at recent surround designs by the designers and see alot of small tiles being used.... Cool

My sectional arrived yesterday and I am in love....will have to take update pic of progress...seems so far to go but I have the big things down...onto the next layers... Big Grin.