Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Color Sign In/Join 
Picture of lady of shallot
posted
This is the theme of the latest issue of House Beautiful.

Last night we watched "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg") which we had last seen when it first came out. A more beautiful movie would be difficult to find and I remembered the story and the music but had forgotten the fantastic colors of the interiors etc used throughout.

I think then they would have been considered garish but I wonder now what the opinion would be?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYLQFe8Ovbs

Funny watching this clip I do not see the green which is my memory of the most dominant color used in the film.

A great movie for those who like music, a great love story and poignancy. Oh and everyone in the cast is beautiful!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lady of shallot,

Posts: 12796 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
I was not familiar with this movie, so I googled it. It was from 1964 and back then color was enhanced in movies (or recolored after some years pass and technology improved). But if you saw that movie before when it came out and the color was AS VIVID then... then I could see where you would think the actual spaces in the movie were that 'neon' in brightness...

Technology has improved such today that coloring in movies can be done without enhancing only certain colors (unless they do it on purpose for effect).

Isn't it nice that we can watch our favorite movies over and over, we never had this much access to media when we were in the 50's and 60's!

I tended to like more realistic poignant films like Hawaii (Julie Andrews and Richard Harris), Exodus (because of Paul Newman and Sal Mineo) and Midnight Cowboy (John Voight) from that era, and had more realistic color in film, less romance and more realism though still a sad story.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Ruth,

Posts: 9774 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mary Ruth that was the color then. You can tell because of the lining in the heroine's burberry raincoat.

Although many movies continued to be made in black and white after GWTW and the WOO, color was possible after the late 30's.

I loved Midnight Cowboy. We are huge movie fans in our family and it is a rare film I have not heard of, if not in fact seen.

This is a paragraph from a viewer review of this movie:

- "The costumes match the background far too often for it to be anything but deliberate. At first its even more confusing than the singing. Madame Emery dresses differently to match the wallpaper of the shop and her flat, sometimes her clothes even seem to change colour for no reason other than to match the scenery. Genevieve stands in front of a window while a truck that's exactly the same shade as her cardigan pulls up behind her. When she tries on her maternity dress it has the same combination of royal blue background and pink flowers as the wallpaper behind her. When she walks past the docks with Roland they are both wearing different shades of off-white - hers matches the rusting paint on the old ships, his matches the cliffs visible in the distance. When Guy and Madeleine sit next to each other outside the cafe her orange-brown clothes and even her lipstick match the door behind her while his dark brown jacket matches not only the wood behind him but also her hair - exactly the same trick we've seen when he was sitting next to the prostitute Jenny with her red dress on front of the red screen inside the other bar. We are in fantasy land here, even if it looks a little like Cherbourg."

This is a really wonderful movie for those who are sensitive to beauty, sung, visual,story line, characters and everything else that can make up a movie.

But the color alone is worth a viewing.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lady of shallot,

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I totally remember this movie. I watched it on TV several years ago, and loved it even though it is a bit sad. I am going to have to try to find it again now that I have read all of this about the color/costumes in the film.

Posts: 7203 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I think of wallpaper matching the costume I remember Barbra Streisand in On a Clear Day You Can See Forever.
The costumes in that movie were fantastic. And when I watched the clip you attached, LoS, I was reminded of the wonderful overcoats we wore in the early 60's. Remember Natalie Wood in Love with the Perfect Stranger?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sms29s66,

Posts: 3460 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Remember Natalie Wood in Love with the Perfect Stranger?

Is that the one with Robert Redford? She sure was a beauty and speaking of sad what about Splendor in the Grass? that also was so sad!

I love coats. My favorite item of clothing. I remember always wearing trench coats like Catherine Denuve did in that movie!

posted Hide Post
Steve McQueen--the poor man's Paul Newman. I can't stand Splendor in the Grass. The mother is so vi*le that it makes the movie unwatchable.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sms29s66,

Posts: 3460 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post