Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Help me decorate my ledge!! (pic)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me decorate my ledge!! (pic) Sign In/Join 
posted
This ledge is above my front door, you can see the transom window at the bottom. It is roughly 9x8ft, the window is 5x3 & the ledge is 12inches. My problem is dealing with the window and the height...I could fill it with "stuff" but feel it needs to work with the window??? Do I accessories across the entire span or just one corner...so many choices!! My style is traditional. (of course the weather is overcast today)
TIA

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Minga,

Posts: 263 | Location: CO/SD/CO/IA/IL | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shoot bear with me!! The picture posted sideways...sorry you will get a neck work out turning your head!!

Posts: 263 | Location: CO/SD/CO/IA/IL | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Minga it would help if you re-shoot the pic and post it right side up.

I can't see any ledge!

Posts: 12137 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well since it was right-side up when I posted from my picture I'm not sure how to fix it. Those vases and round plate are just floating in space??? So not sure how you can't see it, but will try to re-post

Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
here you go.....

Posts: 7968 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Annie, you are so kind.

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
These ledges are difficult to keep clean. Since the ledge is wider than the window, I would feature a few large scale items off to each side. If this were my dilemma, I would find a large piece of stained glass that covers most of the window. If the mullions are removable, all the better. It would cast lovely colors inside and out (when lit from inside). To flank it, I would feature one tall piece of pottery one one side and another colorful vase and large dish on an easel to the other. Optionally, two lg, pieces of colorful pottery (one tall and slim, the other wider and shorter). On the other side of the window I would feature a quality silk vine spilling over the ledge. In any event, the stained glass will serve as art from inside and out.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18382 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I think that I would leave it empty so that I could run my dust mop over it from time to time. Maybe I would add something for Christmas only.

Posts: 3031 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
What froo said.

Wanda

Posts: 4798 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies...The mullion in the window are between the glass so they aren't coming out. Teh stain glass covering of the window is a nice thought but probably not something I will do just because I enjoy the natural light that helps brighten the second story hallway. Leaving it empty is not really something I would consider because then to me it looks like we either are moving or can't decorate! Cleaning it is not an issue? It only takes a few minutes to pull out the 6ft ladder and dust, I do add small trees at Christmas time. I have the one tall vase on one side now just wondering if I should put some tall twigs of something in it for more height. What I'm afraid of doing is decorating to the bottom of the window all they way across and it looking silly. So I will defiantly give Froo's ideas a go.

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Originally, I was going to pose the clear beveled glass option. This would allow maximum light filtration while dressing up the window taking it from ordinary to extraordinary. A framed piece of lace (perhaps an oval shape....you can use a painted embroidery hoop will have the same effect.

Do post back once you've found a vignette that pleases your eye. Is there an outlet in this niche? I would place some battery lit branches in a big vase to one side for holidays.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18382 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Here's an example of the illuminated branches tho this site offers other options too.

http://www.save-on-crafts.com/li2.html

posted Hide Post
Thanks Froo, I saw some of those lite branches at Kirkland's. Unfortunately they closed the one in my area. So thank you for the site to order from. I will keep my eye out for a glass piece for the window, that might be harder then the vignette items. But worth the hunt! Thanks again

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
eBay could be one affordable source. Here's an example..

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html...beveled+glass+window

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I am going to second Grapefruit's suggestion, but for a different reason.

Just because there is a ledge, doesn't mean you have to put something on it.

I can't see the entire elevation, but it looks like your front door is under the window. Your door is the portal to the world, the way in and the way out. The door is important. Anything you place on the shelf will draw your eye up and away from the door. I think that is a severe conflict of interest.

Posts: 7075 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Ladies, I can not see the ledge. Where is it?
Is the ledge where the cut out figures are? If so, what is the depth?

If indeed the front door is under the ledge, I would agree with Cocok. Not necessarily for the same reasons but because of possible danger. If you have an object of any weight and something jars your house or doorway when someone is passing through the doorway it could be dangerous.

Froo we have stained glass windows and they do not normally cast any color into the room(s)

Posts: 12137 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[quote]Just because there is a ledge, doesn't mean you have to put something on it.[/quote

I concur! Not every horizontal surface requires decorating. It isn't even close to being eye level, so why would you want to draw attention to it? Whenever clients ask me to accessorize ledges like that, I usually attempt to talk them out of it. Most of the time they agree, but when they don't, I let them decorate it. To me it's nothing but a dust catcher, and why would you want to drag a ladder out to dust there?

Posts: 783 | Registered: Jul 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the suggestions. The ledge is 12 inches in depth and during the holidays I put two trees, a sled and large vase with poinsettias in it. Nothing has ever come close to falling off. It may not be at eye level from below but it is on the second story. Oh well guess I'll keep playing with it...either with nothing or create a vignette.

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
It's strange that the builder would put a window that opens where no one can reach it without a ladder. A clear beveled glass piece, round or quatrefoil picture window would have been better. Since you don't want to replace the window and you have to work with what you've got, maybe consider adding fancy wood molding around the window and on the ledge to make it more interesting.

Maybe even indoor shutters. This wall is round but you get the idea. And you can leave the shutters open for light.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zone9alady,

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post