Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  WEEKEND UPDATE.....leather sofa and chair on craigslist.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WEEKEND UPDATE.....leather sofa and chair on craigslist. Sign In/Join 
Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted
ok so you all have seen my living room a million times...I finally ordered a sectional and it's supposed to be delivered in a couple weeks.

I am looking at craigslist to get idea of prices etc to list my couch and chair.

Looking at the couch and chair, what descriptive words would you use to describe the style of my furiture.

Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Always1StepBehind,

Posts: 9442 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Comfortable chocolate leather sofa and club chair with rolled arms, nailhead trim and bun feet. Classic traditional style. Very comfortable. Size is...

Posts: 18482 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Froo states it well. Emphasis "clean" "good repair" etc as appropriate for the wear on the set. It appears to be very good condition.

Also - "Bring a truck and someone to help load"

Look forward to seeing your new pieces too!

Posts: 3036 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craftybbq
posted Hide Post
Also I have seen people put wether the home is smoke free or pet free. Wish I lived near you, I love it!

Posts: 1026 | Registered: Oct 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm referring to "style" of the pieces. I consider them to by "traditional". Would I be correct?

Traditional leather sofa and matching chair. I like "classic rolled arms with nail-head trim".

A descrpition so they dont sound out of style!!

Then of course the size, condition, description of attached cushions etc etc.

Posts: 9442 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will definalely list pet-free and smoke free. That is ALWAYS my first question before even going to see anything listed on CL.

Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
Good advice. And good luck on selling your set. I just posted furniture that was my mother's yesterday and no responses yet.

Now that I'm reading this, I didn't put the size of the sofas!!

Wanda

Posts: 4810 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am down to the 2nd of two leads I had on my furniture before listing on craigslist. I will ask the 2nd person if they want to buy furniture or not. Then I am putting it on CL.

Even though I have 2 weeks. I'd rather have no furniture for a week than be stuck with the couch and chair when it's time for the sectional delivery.

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
I would ask them right away. Sometimes it takes a while to sell furniture. Yours is in great condition, you will hopefully sell it fast.
Good luck!!

Posts: 4595 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the new sectional - I know you have been wanting it for awhile. It should "fit" you and your two children.

But I am going to miss the adventures of your old set. I have always loved it. If I were buying leather, that woul be my style. I love traditional leather.

Tuesday

Posts: 649 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: Apr 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tuesday. I'm excited about getting the sectional. I know it wont be the same quality leather as my couch, so I am trying to prepare myself for when I see the actual peices.

They had the light color furniture on the floor at Macys so I really don't know what the dark brown will look like. I'm thinking it will have a shinier finish than my current sofa and chair.

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Always,

Good luck with your listing for the furniture. Isn't it exciting to make room for your new one? You sure are patient and have waited a long time so congrats!

Imagine the fun of movie nights on the floor while waiting for the delivery!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9362 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Don't sweat the Craig's List description of style.
Most who will look are interested in price, condition, and the visual pictures. Pictures are free to post and do several, so I would do photo shots from the side/end also show style, design. Also as you mentioned, the overall length, height, and depth of the pieces can help shoppers visualize how it can fit their space, and if they can move it themselves in vans or pickups.

It is nice you have the images of items in your living space. Much better than some who drag the items to the garage before photographing. If your home is either smoke free or pet free, list that too, as mentioned.

Posts: 9460 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is the picture I put in my ad along with 2 others I took last night. I liked this picture since it showed the true color compared to the pictures I took with the flash and it looks nice in the space.

I agree..I see pictures of furniture out in people yards and think "what the heck"?!?!

I posted a picture of the burn hole from a light bulb too. I didnt want to NOT include it and then surprise a potential buyer when they got there. But at the same time I can see it discouraging people from coming to see it.

I had a person text me last night about coming to see it today. Hopefully they follow through and call back today to come see it.

Fingers crossed!!

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Always1StepBehind:
This is the picture I put in my ad along with 2 others I took last night. I liked this picture since it showed the true color compared to the pictures I took with the flash and it looks nice in the space.

I agree..I see pictures of furniture out in people yards and think "what the heck"?!?!

I posted a picture of the burn hole from a light bulb too. I didnt want to NOT include it and then surprise a potential buyer when they got there. But at the same time I can see it discouraging people from coming to see it.

I had a person text me last night about coming to see it today. Hopefully they follow through and call back today to come see it.

Fingers crossed!!

Make sure you have another adult or 2 even, be there when the potential buyer come to take a look. I'm sure you will, but thought I would mention it. Be safe!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lilsophie,

Posts: 4595 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Oct 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hammerhugger
posted Hide Post
If you sell it and you don't mind letting us know what you got for it, I would be interested in knowing. Mine is exactly like that and when my dh and I moved to AZ, we got new leather furniture for living room. I might end up giving mine to my son but in case I don't I was interested in your asking price. Mind must have been a bonded leather because where the back was up against a windowsill and the sun beat on it, when I went to pull it away from the wall, the top leather stuck to the window sill so it is not a couch you could put where it could be seen from the back. Otherwise, it is in pretty good shape.

My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds.
--Mel Weldon

Posts: 5561 | Location: Arizona, in the valley | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm asking $300. or a reasonable offer. I have had 3 inquiries..One was only interested in the chair. I hand't even thought about trying to sell them seperately. Maybe I should.

I'm sure the hole is scaring people off. I know it would me...

If I were to try to sell them seperately, how much should I price each one for. I'm thinking if I price the couch low enough, it will go even with the hole.

Here is the picture I have in my ad that shows the hole in the arm of the sofa.

posted Hide Post
I also have this picture in my ad which just shows the chair.

posted Hide Post
I bet you could patch that without too much trouble.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mast...2580#Product+Reviews

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Often I will have a listed price, but also "or best offer" in the description, (if you would be willing to deal a bit). Especially if it has been listed for a week or so. Personally I would not be anxious to split the pair, as the couch is larger and might be a bit harder to rehome than the chair.

Be aware you can go into your account and bump up your listing to the top on CL after about 3 days. This can be helpful so it does not get buried.

Posts: 9460 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good news..I sold the sofa and chair today. I renewed my ad on CL and added new pictures that I took during daylight hours. I had a lady give me $50. over asking price...So I have $350. cash in hand and they will be picking it up tomorrow morning.

Picture of Belstone
posted Hide Post
Congrats! How great is that? Now for the new stuff...

**Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain**

Posts: 3639 | Location: Here, by the grace of God... | Registered: Jan 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome!

Picture of jackierenette
posted Hide Post
A1SB,Congrats for getting more $ than you was asking.I know you are happy amd was shocked too.When is your new set coming in,another week?I cant wait to see your posts and confirgautions(I dont know if thats (sp)right).LOL.You are going to have fun with all the new arrangements.

I bought a new sofa & loveseat,and tables this week.I have my other set in the same room.UGH!!I cant get everything the way I want it.Until lady comes tomorrow to get the old set.
Again way to go...whoo hoo.

Posts: 2997 | Location: Liberty, S.C. | Registered: Mar 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annielinz
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the sale of the couch and chair Always!!

Posts: 2804 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: Mar 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will miss the saga of that couch and chair. Congrats on selling over list price!! Cant wait to see your new sectional. New beginnings are so much fun.

Posts: 3059 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
YAY. I'm excited too, to see the new furniture and how it looks in your living room. I just love furniture, how exciting.

posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. The sectional is scheduled to be delivered next Saturday the 19th. Definately will be taking pictures and posting to share with you guys.

posted Hide Post
and the furniture has left the room.....yippee!!

Picture of Skyler
posted Hide Post
Good for you always! I bet you'll love your room with a brand new look. Can't wait to see the pictures!

Posts: 10407 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Jun 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
YAY! Success!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9362 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ruth
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Isn't it wonderful to have that choe finished? Happiness is growing in your home!

Can't wait to see your new sectional in place! I'll bet you are getting excited!

Posts: 9545 | Location: East Space Coast, Florida zone 9B | Registered: Feb 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! I'm looking forward to Saturday Smile

Wanda

Posts: 4810 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
Congratulations A1SB, isn't it great when someone is willing to pay more than you asked? Why isn't it Saturday? I want to see your new sectional. 4 days and counting.

Posts: 2645 | Registered: Jan 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by still tryin:
Congratulations A1SB, isn't it great when someone is willing to pay more than you asked? Why isn't it Saturday? I want to see your new sectional. 4 days and counting.

I know right!! I brought DD's top mattress out to the living room to have something soft to hang out on while watching tv...I'm really going to appreciate having something to sit on when the sectional comes Saturday!! There better not be any hiccups with my delivery...tell me they didn't have me down for this weekend.

I'm supposed to get a call Friday for the time for Saturday. I guess it doesn't hurt to be pro-active and follow up with saleslady.

posted Hide Post
ok...just got an automated phone confirmation for Saturday delivery. I should get a call on Friday for my 2 hour window of delivery for Saturday!! We are almost there!! Can't wait.

Picture of lilsophie
posted Hide Post
Always, I was shopping in Macy's yesterday. While I was in there I went to the furniture dept, like I always do. I saw your new furniture you bought. It's beautiful, I love it. It's very soft and comfy too.. I tried it out. LOL

Great choice, I hope you love it your space. : )

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lilsophie:
Always, I was shopping in Macy's yesterday. While I was in there I went to the furniture dept, like I always do. I saw your new furniture you bought. It's beautiful, I love it. It's very soft and comfy too.. I tried it out. LOL

Great choice, I hope you love it your space. : )

Thanks Sophie. I can't wait to post pictures Saturday after it's delivered and in place.

posted Hide Post
Well it looks stunning.I just admired by the color also..It is truly attractive..
office furniture boca raton

Posts: 1 | Location: Wallingford | Registered: Aug 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post