Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Suggestions please for drapery hardware - don't have a clue
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions please for drapery hardware - don't have a clue Sign In/Join 
posted
On a budget and decided to line some inexpensive panels. They will be 110" long. I am adding rings and will use a pole.

Don't know if there are different quality drape poles and rings. Since it is so high, I need for them to slide easily. Any suggestions what to buy or where to go? thank you.

Posts: 80 | Registered: Nov 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
You don't say how wide the windows are, but if you can get a rod cut to the exact width of the windows -- rather than using an adjustable telescoping rod -- that will make it easier to draw the curtains closed or pull them open.

Two things will make the rings stick: 1)the seam where the two portions of the telescoping rod meet. And, 2) rods that are too wide for the rings. Make sure the diameter of your rings is at least 1/2" wider than the diameter of the the rod.

Believe me, I've spend a lot of money and learned a hard lesson with ready-made curtains, rings and rods, which is why I offer the advice above.

Something else: your curtains panels are so long, you may need a curtain tender, which is a pole with a hook on the end, to help you draw the curtains closed.

Country Curtains is a wonderful source for curtain hardware; I highly recommend you check out their website: http://www.countrycurtains.com...?code=WG020402&kwid=

Good luck.

Posts: 5163 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Christmas Candy
posted Hide Post
Since you said you are on a budget, I have used PVC pipe as rods in a sunroom where I have long expanses of windows. You can paint it and since there would not be a seam if you cut it to exact length, the rings should slide easily.
I have also found finials at thrift stores that can fit into the pipe ends.

As Ay said, you will probably need a rod attached to the centers to pull the curtains from ground level.

Candy

Posts: 1245 | Location: CO | Registered: Dec 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We don't shop there for anything else but have had terrific luck with JC Penney drapery hardware. The basic styles are very affordable.

Hope you find what you need -

Posts: 414 | Registered: Aug 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
How wide is the window? You can also use wooden poles and brackets with rings.

Christmas Candy has a great idea too. Pvc is easy to use.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9319 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
you must have higher ceilings or are you puddling at the bottom?

Posts: 8479 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
We made our curtain pulls out of dowel rods. I think we used 1/4-1/2" diameter and the 36" length, painted them white and attached a hook eye to the end. Works for us.

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post