Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Any Suggestions for my Living Room - HELP!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Suggestions for my Living Room - HELP! Sign In/Join 
posted
I need help decorating our newly built home. Any suggestions for this living room?

Posts: 8 | Registered: Aug 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is it you want to change? Is it the layout, the furniture, the wall colour or all of the above. Are you in need of curtains on the windows? Do you have a budget?

I know you wanted answers, not questions but we need a little more information in order to help you.

Posts: 515 | Registered: Mar 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I agree...please be more specific and also, additional pics would help.

Posts: 18648 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Since this is your newly built house I expect the wall color is one you've chosen and want to keep. Also your furniture looks fairly new so you likely want to work with what is in the pic.

While it's sort of a backward approach to a color scheme I recommend finding a print that has the colors you currently have. It's easier to start with a print and use that to choose paint and furniture but it's not impossible to do it the other way. If you have paint and fabric swatches to take to a fabric store you can likely find something that will work to use for window treatments and cushion covers to tie your grey and beige colors together. I see a bit of red on the right of the pic - is that an accent color you want to use? Also is that a navy throw on the back of the loveseat? Include those favorite colors in your search for a print. You need something to tie all the different colors together. Prints can include stripes, checks, plaids, florals, or geometrics and it's best to find one that suits your chosen style of decor.

Do you have any art or wall decor you'd like to use? If not take your time to find something that really appeals to you. It's not necessary that art 'match' the colors in the room.

I agree more info will help us to give you more advice.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12714 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. I plan to keep the layout the same. I picked neutral wall colors & furniture so I could add anything to it.

I wondering - what kind of curtains and/or pillows should I get? What should I hang on the wall - that's my main concern - what to hang on the wall!

Thanks!

posted Hide Post
Too - what should I do with the tv? Mount it? And if I do, what do I hang around it? If I do not mount it, what should you hang above a television? I always have problems decorating around a tv!

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
If you posted pictures of all four sides of the room it would help greatly in giving advice.

Posts: 12501 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
curtains/drapes first. I would use white ones. Then see what room you have for hanging the TV. I wouldn't put anything around the TV. You could paint the TV console black or dark brown like your other furniture and decorate the top with vases, figurines, etc. I like the red and the dark aqua so why not get vases, pillows and throws in those colors. Some lamps would make a nice cozy room.

love life

Posts: 1492 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could definitely use add'l camera angles and close-ups plus photos of all 4 walls of the room.

I'd mount the TV. From the 1 photo posted, I'm guessing that's not the optimal wall for it, however. JMHO from the limited info.

Good Luck!

Posts: 477 | Registered: Dec 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
you don't say where you live, and that really has a lot to do with what to chose on your windows...

here in mi I use 2 sets of curtains. heavier for winter, and sheers for summer...I've also chosen in the past to layer with minis, and sheers over them...and sun location, privacy, ect...

Posts: 8518 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can choose to hang your TV on the wall instead of placing it on the table. It will not only look great but also provide space for other furniture items in your living room. Wall holders, gallery displays and wall shelves have also become a trend and are very effective for living rooms. You can avoid adding a separate book shelf and keep books in wall holders instead, along with your vase collection, photo frames and other decorative items; a wall holder can make room for all. Check out this curio I bought from Furniture Zone & Sleep Shop in Killeen

This message has been edited. Last edited by: denawills,

Posts: 93 | Location: Killeen, Texas | Registered: Jul 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post