Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Decorating
Hop To Forums   General Decorating
  Decorating a square coffee table
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Decorating a square coffee table Sign In/Join 
posted
This is my coffee table in the living room. Excuse the mess but I"m in the process of cleaning up from Christmas. I usually have just this read bowl/platter with the wicker balls or seashells or something. I'm really tired of this look but can't seem to come up with something else. All the things I see that look good on a rectangular table don't look as good for a square one.

Does anyone have any good, very simple decor ideas for this table?

Posts: 123 | Registered: Oct 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Since your table exposes the items below, it is best to keep the top predominately clear or even void of items and focus rather on the objects on the lower shelf. A pretty coffee table book, a decorative box in an eye catching color or finish and perhaps a small plant are objects you might display below. On top, simply place a stack of coasters. Treat it, in other words, as a shadow box. Change out the items below to evoke the seasons, but opt for scale, color and balance so that the overall vignette does not appear cluttered and is appropriate for the tables' size and visual weight. BTW, one or more objects should be round or curvy to break up the boxy shape of the table.

Posts: 18733 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Forensicmom1:
This is my coffee table in the living room. Excuse the mess but I"m in the process of cleaning up from Christmas.[QUOTE]

I looked at your photo and my first thought was "Oh, that looks like a cozy and happy
post-Christmas scene". We live in our homes after all! Reminded me of happy holidays gone by.

Have you tried a small square of fabric for the top to soften the glass? Pretty baskets for below, and something "natural" for the top, such as a plant or small terrarium.

If you wanted, you could paint the table and etch the glass for an updated look.

Posts: 3421 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I second a low vine plant either on the bottom or the top...preferably the top. The little wicker basket you have under the table and the plate with balls in it could both be put on the bottom of your table if the plant were on top.

love life

Posts: 1556 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I agree with the idea of some fabric. You could use 3 pillar candles of varying heights, a pretty basket/box for remotes, a small stack of books. Or it could be like my house...3 computers and 4 phones...Wink

Posts: 3229 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry, but I have no idea what you are talking about with putting fabric over the glass. I've never seen anything like that before. Do you have any pictures?

Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
We have a glass top square table as well -- I don't like to clutter it up too much (so when we have guests we have room for trays of wine glasses and appetizers) -- I have a low blue and white transfer ware bowl filled with potpourri and two barley twist candlesticks. I like it simple -- and sometimes I feel the candlesticks are too much! A low plant in a nice low planter would be a good centerpiece ss well.

Martha

Posts: 6228 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Forensicmom1:
Sorry, but I have no idea what you are talking about with putting fabric over the glass. I've never seen anything like that before. Do you have any pictures?

I just mean a square runner type thing, placemat, burlap, etc. Something to soften the glass.

Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Yes, I mean a runner, doily, etc. Google...".decorate square coffee table" and go to the one for Houzz. They show lots of great ideas!

Posts: 3229 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CER
posted Hide Post
don't cover that with fabric! I agree with keeping the bottom half decorative...I mean, who the h$ll can keep the top of a coffee table decorated?
I'd put some old books and old wooden boxes. Lohhrd, no strung out dusty ivy plants please.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Michiana | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
I would keep it simple and put that platter/balls on the lower wood shelf and leave the glass top clear and beautiful...just keep it clean (like I keep anything clean...LOL!)

Posts: 2904 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Came back to say that at the Flea today I saw a small square glass top that had been painted a dusty blue and boy was it pretty. Not shabby chic, but sort of upstyled distressed paint finish (table itself was not distressed). Shadow box style as mentioned above. Wish I had snapped a photo for you and will do so if I get back there before the darling thing sells.

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I grabbed these photos off of Pinterest Forensicmom1. The one photo shows how you can mentally divide the square into 4 sections. Place something in each section. That is one very simple way to handle the situation.

Posts: 7254 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I only had a few hours before company came, so I cleaned up the table and just used a small arrangement I had for the table top. I want to get a nice, small houseplant (real, not silk) for the top.

I liked the idea of a shadow box look instead of a whole lot on top.

Picture of Always1StepBehind
posted Hide Post
oh I like that. That looks nice.

Posts: 9694 | Location: california | Registered: Apr 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post